collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Festival of Licensing starts, but where my pony info at  (Read 4140 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Festival of Licensing starts, but where my pony info at
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
Good reasons why a discussion in which someone says the M6 sucks should not be gratuitously compared to what happened with G2.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »
About the G2 thing, back in the day I had someone tell me I was "racist" for disliking G2 and that it made me "a Nazi."  I remember ripping into them on the mailing list because WTF?

How... Why... Wow. Just wow. :shocked:

To be honest, I never encountered the extreme levels of G2 hate you guys are talking about. I guess I was lucky. XD So maybe I never witnessed the full extent of it, and am wrong in comparing it to G4-related conflict... I’m just weary of reboot-hate in general I guess, be it MLP, Transformers, Star Wars, Thundercats, or whatever.

I really hope LadyMoondancer’s prediction of shorter generations for MLP are correct. That would go a long way towards avoiding the kind of rerelease fatigue we’re dealing with now. I feel like three to five years is plenty.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »
Yea, it makes sense. Like with Tales only happening over 2 years, we didn't have time to get bored with the concept. Although they could also try better integration of new and old characters in the way Monster High did - not with the M6 from G4, but I mean from the G5 new cast and other new characters that feature in a particular series or arc. MH would rarely release all the main characters together in a line, but there'd be one or two then a bunch of new characters. And there might be three or four versions of some of thosse but others would be just for that line alone.

I think G2 also attempted that pattern, and I don't see why it couldn't work for G5, since you would always be releasing one or two of the core cast with a new set, but at the same time broadening the cast with new characters.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »
MH would rarely release all the main characters together in a line, but there'd be one or two then a bunch of new characters.

Honestly that irked me so much. Especially if that character got an outfit design in the accompanying media but then didn't get a doll. MLP honestly did the same thing. Like the Rainbow Power ones with the extra leg design excluded Applejack but had Cheerilee and Holly Dash and the pearly ponies had a bunch of new characters but no Rarity.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
I suppose that's true too. I didn't do it with MH, but I got used to that with Jem and the fact the Misfits had hardly any of their outfits made, so I just made them myself. I guess in that context separate fashion sets would've been good though too.

But the RR and the pearlies are 2 of my favourite G4 releases involving the M6, because they introduced new characters while jazzing up the originals as well. It doesn't bother me that AJ didn't get a RR version because there are already a zillion AJs. Having Holly Dash was a bonus instead.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »
I suppose that's true too. I didn't do it with MH, but I got used to that with Jem and the fact the Misfits had hardly any of their outfits made, so I just made them myself. I guess in that context separate fashion sets would've been good though too.

But the RR and the pearlies are 2 of my favourite G4 releases involving the M6, because they introduced new characters while jazzing up the originals as well. It doesn't bother me that AJ didn't get a RR version because there are already a zillion AJs. Having Holly Dash was a bonus instead.

Holly Dash is a great lil pony. loved that neon stripe in her and all those colors.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:50:37 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
Didn't Rarity not get a pearly version for a long time?  Poor girl, she would be the first one to want to be glammed up.  (That was my favorite G4 set, aside from the baby sea ponies / baby hippogriffs.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
Didn't Rarity not get a pearly version for a long time?  Poor girl, she would be the first one to want to be glammed up.  (That was my favorite G4 set, aside from the baby sea ponies / baby hippogriffs.)

She got a pearly merpony version. I got one for my trade partner on the TP a while back when they first came out. I can personally attest to the fact that she was dull. And I mean gimmickally. You'd think pearlescence would be very noticeable on a white pony, but it wasn't strong on her.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:20:48 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2020, 02:07:46 PM »
Maybe that informed the release decision. Nurse Thingummy is basically silver, isn't she? Not so much white with the pearl?

But the pearly set is nice because of the range. And here in the UK, Coloratura's set, we ad tons of those. But Coloratura was not that easy to get hold of because she sold out like lightning. The Entertainer and TRU, before it closed, had wave 1 and wave 2 M6 ponies sitting for months and months.

Wave 3 for some reason only appeared for me in Smyths once and I snapped them all u[. I never saw AJ shelf-sit but I don't think there were enough of them.

In any case, if G4 had centred around that kind of release mechanism the M6 fatigue wouldn't be so pronounced. But in the last year or two there have been a lot of M6. And it hasn't helped that here in the UK especially the same M6 shelf sit for months or even YEARS.

There were so many Water Cutie AJs here for 3 years straight I'm surprised it didn't become a meme.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2020, 02:19:38 PM »
Maybe that informed the release decision. Nurse Thingummy is basically silver, isn't she? Not so much white with the pearl?

But the pearly set is nice because of the range. And here in the UK, Coloratura's set, we ad tons of those. But Coloratura was not that easy to get hold of because she sold out like lightning. The Entertainer and TRU, before it closed, had wave 1 and wave 2 M6 ponies sitting for months and months.

Wave 3 for some reason only appeared for me in Smyths once and I snapped them all u[. I never saw AJ shelf-sit but I don't think there were enough of them.

In any case, if G4 had centred around that kind of release mechanism the M6 fatigue wouldn't be so pronounced. But in the last year or two there have been a lot of M6. And it hasn't helped that here in the UK especially the same M6 shelf sit for months or even YEARS.

There were so many Water Cutie AJs here for 3 years straight I'm surprised it didn't become a meme.

I cracked up at Nurse Thingummy. XD I love the Pearly set. I love that there were so many different toys.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:21:55 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
I think the next pony gen will be much shorter then ten years.  MLP FIM was originally intended to be three years IIRC.  Like Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn was obviously supposed to be the stopping point.  But it was at its height of popularity so Hasbro just kept going.

Transformers cartoons usually last two to three seasons.  Littlest Pet Shop (2012) lasted 4 seasons.  Pound Puppies (2010) lasted three seasons. I think the max we'll see from a MLP cartoon in the future will be 4 seasons, but more likely 2 or 3.

Let's hope so! I enjoy cartoons that come to a conclusion rather than droning on for a decade with characters not really changing. I still have high hopes for a MLP show featuring an overarching plot with the seasons functioning like chapters.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
I think the next pony gen will be much shorter then ten years.  MLP FIM was originally intended to be three years IIRC.  Like Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn was obviously supposed to be the stopping point.  But it was at its height of popularity so Hasbro just kept going.

Transformers cartoons usually last two to three seasons.  Littlest Pet Shop (2012) lasted 4 seasons.  Pound Puppies (2010) lasted three seasons. I think the max we'll see from a MLP cartoon in the future will be 4 seasons, but more likely 2 or 3.

Let's hope so! I enjoy cartoons that come to a conclusion rather than droning on for a decade with characters not really changing. I still have high hopes for a MLP show featuring an overarching plot with the seasons functioning like chapters.

*cough cough* The Siiiiimpsoooons

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

If it happened it would be a literal first.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »

She finally got one in the Best Gift Ever set but those were the Movie molds. She never got one on the old molds.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »

She finally got one in the Best Gift Ever set but those were the Movie molds. She never got one on the old molds.

That was my favorite G4 set... and they managed to exclude my favorite M6 pony. >_<; Ah well.

I agree that the pearly series was one of the best designed lines in G4 in terms of balancing rereleases and new characters... Even if distribution of the last wave was waaaaay spotty in the States. I’d love to see them follow that model going forward. G4 started out with a ton of new characters, but then sadly declined in later years as FiM took off... which is almost ironic
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal