collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some of your other interests?  (Read 9731 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: What are some of your other interests?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
Fellow arthropod fans please interact.

Well hello?! I never thought I'd stumble across a fellow arthropod enthusiast at the pony forums!  :whoa:

I actually grew up terrified of anything crawly, but fear and fascination always went kind of hand in hand for me and as I started to put in all the effort I could to conquer my fear, it turned into an obsession, and I went from freezing in fear from large bugs to coaxing them into my bare hands very quickly.

I started out fancying the lepidoptera most of all and I still love them a lot, but now my absolute favorite is the blattodea  :lovey: Ever since I discovered hissing cockroaches at a pet shop I have been smitten with how big and gentle they are.

I also LOVE weevils and wasps. And while I'm mostly focused on insects, I like other arthropods as well, spiders and millipedes being a big favorite. I tried my hand at keeping a couple of giant African millipedes at some point, but they were unfortunately short lived. I'd like to try again sometime, but I need to gain a lot more knowledge in order to be sure I'm able to provide for them.

I tried signing up for iNaturalist but it's having some trouble loading for me right now. I'll try again later.

Yay for arthropods! They're so fun and (mostly) small! Blattodea are really neat! I could totally see myself looking into getting a hissing cockroach for a pet someday. They're super cute. Though I think my most wanted pet insect would be some sort of mantis. My most wanted pet arthropod overall would be a jumping spider of course, as they're my favorite animals in the world. I want a Hyllus diardi specifically. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2021, 04:21:44 AM »
Yay for arthropods! They're so fun and (mostly) small! Blattodea are really neat! I could totally see myself looking into getting a hissing cockroach for a pet someday. They're super cute. Though I think my most wanted pet insect would be some sort of mantis. My most wanted pet arthropod overall would be a jumping spider of course, as they're my favorite animals in the world. I want a Hyllus diardi specifically. :)

Good taste! I was actually on my way to get a pet mantis after a friend told me they had them at a local pet store. They didn't, but they did have hissing cockroaches... and that's how that love started. :lovey: I've kept them ever since, but I'm struggling a lot with the ones I currently have as I think they've caught some kind of mold >_< I was very pleased when I first got this batch that they didn't have any mites, but chances are mites would actually have been able to combat the mold. Might have a look around and see if I can get a hold of some.

I have a lot to learn still, in other words. ^^;

Jumping spiders are amazing! They are SO cute and I think they serve as a nice gateway to convert crawly skeptics. Lol. I frequently got jumping spider visitors when I lived in Japan, here in Norway they are not as common but I just found one the other day and was ecstatic. Looked up your fav and it's sooo cute, good size too!

Wishlist

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »

Good taste! I was actually on my way to get a pet mantis after a friend told me they had them at a local pet store. They didn't, but they did have hissing cockroaches... and that's how that love started. :lovey: I've kept them ever since, but I'm struggling a lot with the ones I currently have as I think they've caught some kind of mold >_< I was very pleased when I first got this batch that they didn't have any mites, but chances are mites would actually have been able to combat the mold. Might have a look around and see if I can get a hold of some.

I have a lot to learn still, in other words. ^^;

Jumping spiders are amazing! They are SO cute and I think they serve as a nice gateway to convert crawly skeptics. Lol. I frequently got jumping spider visitors when I lived in Japan, here in Norway they are not as common but I just found one the other day and was ecstatic. Looked up your fav and it's sooo cute, good size too!

Ah yeah I remember hearing about how mites help out a lot with hissing roaches! I hope you're able to get your hands on the right type of mites to help out your roaches!

Jumpers are cute haha. I think my favorite species overall is Mopsus mormon, but I don't think people captive breed them though so I wouldn't be able to get one as a pet. I hope people breed them someday, the males are so silly looking. I think a Hyllus diardi would be a wonderful one for a pet since the Hyllus genus are the largest jumpers, and I know diardi does get bred in captivity. The bigger the jumper the easier it is to see their adorable face. :lol:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 08:04:05 AM »
For me that is raising moths and butterflies, something I have not done in years till now. I caught one and she laid eggs in the soup container I now have 7 little ones to look after. They seem to be doing well,currently and two stages away from pupa stage.

Offline Shystar06

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2021, 09:36:01 PM »
I actually got a no-kidding amateur radio license on a whim. Literally went from "hmm, I think I'll Google this" to "I take the test tomorrow" in the space of a couple weeks. Then a first-try pass and KF0FUT was on the air!

Both my parents and my ever-patient wife now have confirmation that I'm completely nuts. But it's been an interesting journey that resulted in something actually useful.

Hilariously, I actually have a job as a "show host" doing morning announcements at my current job, complete with proper use of my radio callsign and the best "radio voice"  I can do. My boss now not only expects to present each morning but made my role an actual approved thing. Life is weird!

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2021, 05:10:58 AM »
For me that is raising moths and butterflies, something I have not done in years till now.

SO COOL! I also am fond of moths a whole bunch! I have a field guide on them and know a lot of cool facts! I’d love to raise them one day (when I finally move out of my parent’s house! ((yes I’m 23 and still live with parents,,)) )

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
Besides the love of MLPs I love: Family Time - we would watch a movie, or if its a Family event play Dominos or dice which includes: my mom, my sis, my grandpa & granny, great aunt jean and sometimes my bro and his wife. Next weekend is Cranberry fest, so it will be a family reunion again.
Fancy Cars - my favorite car is the Ford Maverick Grabber blue Gold Stripping. It was my dads first car and its becoming very popular in car shows in Wisconsin.
Video Games - PS4 games are soo fun such as Uncharted I want to play The Last of Us 2. I have a PS5 now I just am trying to finish my Ps4 games.
Music - All Music
& My Inspiration.... Mark Wahlberg! with the Motto - Inspire to be better! for some odd reason after I met him on May-12-2017... I like changed big time... I saw that the friends I was hanging out with were toxic to me... Its like I saw a whole new me; even though its not with him... I'm inspired to be better everyday.  ^.^

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal