collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Name Selected Why?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Name Selected Why?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 04:36:29 PM »
The movie The Last Unicorn was the first movie I ever watched when I was 3 years old. Lady Amalthea was the name Schmendrick the sorcerer gave the unicorn to gain entrance to King Haggard's castle in her human form. I always thought she was so beautiful, both in her human and equine forms. I always wanted to use it as a screen name for something, and this site seemed to be the perfect place to be named after my first equestrian love  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »
The year was 2012. I needed a username on roblox. Luckily for me, I had just gotten into Pokémon. And of all the legendaries, my favourite was Mewtwo. So, I made my name Mewtwofan1. And since that day way back then, I’ve used it for a lot of my internet media usernames. Minecraft, DeviantArt...everything.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »
I have gray hair and lots of it

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 08:03:29 PM »
It's kinda obscure what my username means, so I always have to explain. It's not actually meaning "harmony". It's a reference to what ensembles of woodwind and brass instruments were called in and around classical-era Europe.

I love woodwind and brass instruments. I have played several, and own almost a full wind ensemble of them... So I think it's a fitting username, even if it needs lots of explaining for people to understand what I mean by it.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »
"Ragamuffin" was a nickname my mom gave me because of my curly hair. I first designed a "ponysona" back in 2004 before I knew what it even was, but she didn't have a name. When FiM came out my ponysona was "Calamity". Then after a while I came back to "Ragamuffin" to be my ponysona's name since it's more personal and holds more meaning. :)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »
"Ragamuffin" was a nickname my mom gave me because of my curly hair. I first designed a "ponysona" back in 2004 before I knew what it even was, but she didn't have a name. When FiM came out my ponysona was "Calamity". Then after a while I came back to "Ragamuffin" to be my ponysona's name since it's more personal and holds more meaning. :)

Your name always makes me smile when I see it...when my son was a toddler, my husband used to always try to brush his hair out after his bath so it wouldn't dry all wild, and when he would object, he would say, 'you don't want to look like a ragamuffin, do you?' And my son, never questioning what a ragamuffin even was, would shake his head, horrified at the thought of looking like one, and let his dad brush his hair. Now we say it to my twin daughters...I think it's cute!  :P

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 12:06:58 AM »
I changed my name to Mana Minori because I underwent a rebrand a few months back, and the name Mana is taken from Mana-sama, the face and owner of the Japanese fashion label, Moi meme Moitie, and Minori is the name of the Japanese Shironuri fashion influencer, Minori. Both reflect my love of fashion and these people and fashion and MLP’s line of fashionistas (Takara ponies and Rarity)
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
I joined the pony community in 1997-8. At the time the ponies I was most interested in getting were Medley, Glory, Powder etc. Back then it was fairly normal to use a real pony's name as your handle online. I wanted to use one of those names but other people already were. So I randomly chose a pony from Dream Valley whose image I liked and whose name hadn't been taken. That was Taffeta. I had never even seen her in real life at the time, I acquired her afterwards :) I dropped the 'Princess' because it felt clunky and weird, and I'm not very princessy anyway.

When Ivy's pony name registry was still active, I was registered there as Taffeta and my sister as Munchy.

I use Taffeta for Jem and MLP stuff. Though it confused the Jem people to begin with why I was named after a piece of fabric xD. I don't use it in any other community, but I started up with Jem in 2000 and it was close enough to when I adopted the name Taffeta to keep it the same for simplicity.

Ok so Koudoawaia comes from when Koudo started off as a kitsune and the friend that helped me name her told me it meant Earth Light in Japanese.

I think the bit that meant earth light (albeit it's not quite correct) was Koudo 光土. Kou (from Hikari, to mean light) and do (from Tsuchi, meaning earth). Albeit tsuchi is more soil than earth (which would be chi 地)

Awai 淡い is an adjective meaning "light" as in light coloured (not light as in shining light) and you would need the other reading of the character to use it in a name (tan I think?) since awai is an adjective, but most Japanese names are made by putting kanji together.

I don't know why the a on the end though.

So I think your friend was partly right but got wires crossed about which bit and what. So it's not meaningless, just a bit muddled <3
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:43:43 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 01:58:32 AM »
Mine's not very exciting, it's just my real-life nickname. Though I have to admit that it has nothing to do with my given name (well, they both begin with S). It came about years ago when my girlfriend and I were giving each other silly nicknames from songs (this is normal behaviour for us, we are always coming up with strange nicknames from books, films, songs etc) and I was Sharona after My Sharona by the Knack (I think she was Lola after the song by the Kinks. We invented these whole 70s partying alter-egos :lol:). Kitti started calling me 'Shaz' and 'Shazza' as a nickname for Sharona, and somehow it stuck, my family all call me Shaz now as well. (Kitti's name is a nickname too, short for Kitten, because she loves cats and often acts like one.)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 02:09:16 AM »
I chose this name because I am of Irish descent. I was born in The Netherlands, but my father's side is Irish; my grandfather danced a perfect jig, Gaelic was his mother tongue, you get they idea. I feel more Irish than anything else (especially because of my nature, and that's not always a good thing XD ), even though I've never been to Ireland. It's just that my father made sure that I got a "decent" Irish upbringing, teaching me as much about the mentality as possible. :P And yes, that includes the warning to not ever piss off the Little People! So it speaks for itself that I love Irish music very much. Anyone who enjoys Irish music just as much as I do, must have noticed that they are always singing about "broken Irishmen"... When I was listening to one of these songs again, I realised that I have so many faults, and I that break down so frequently (and get back up just as frequently, important detail!) that I am probably even more Irish than I thought.

...And the name was born. I wear it with pride. :mrgreen:

Side note: I also considered Plastic Paddy for my name. Because I can get a wee bit pretentious about it sometimes (which I don't even deserve, since I haven't even actually been to Ireland ever), and I have no problem making fun of myself. :mrgreen:

My real name is Marlowe.
Back in high school all my friends would call me “MarshMarlowe”, which was a play on the word marshmallow. I tend to use the name MarshMarlowe on my other social media and art sites and such (you can find me anywhere with that username!) but I wanted to go with something a little softer for this pony community, so I chose Marshie :)

That is such a pretty name, I have never heard it before! Your real name I mean. :D

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
 Ivy's pony name registry: my online girlfriend was Baby Squirmy and I was Baby Half Note
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »
Mine is from being austistic and feeling from another planet and  mystic gemstones from a choose your own adventure book. The last part is from the stones storm green and horizon blue.  As green skies also mean a very severe storm, and  I love storms.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »
Ivy's pony name registry: my online girlfriend was Baby Squirmy and I was Baby Half Note

Aw, that's sweet! I never knew that, I just thought your favorite pony was Baby Squirmy.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »

Aw, that's sweet! I never knew that, I just thought your favorite pony was Baby Squirmy.

Me too   ^.^

I'm so boring.   slyons is my first initial, last name.   I'm not super creative and couldn't commit to anything when I signed up

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »

haha that happened later when she sent me a Baby Squirmy as a surprise! the very one you see in my avatar, who is sitting on my keyboard right now .

hope she is doing well, sadly I wasn't prepared for a LDR online relationship at the time that we were a "thing" but I wish her all the best! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal