collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's make stuff together?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Let's make stuff together?
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:24:53 PM »
So I've been super bored and frustrated with my lack of inspiration lately. Anyone else in the same boat?

Anyway, since I never finish anything when I work by myself, I was wondering if anyone would like to do some crafting projects together? I'll post the pattern I'd like to do, and everyone is welcome to use it to make their own version. And after that, anyone else who's got a pattern can post too, of course. If there's any interest, we can discuss what kind of project to do next. Kind of like a bookclub, but for crafting, lol. I'm thinking to keep all the projects to things that can be finished easily in one weekend, and my own projects tend to be mostly useful things. But any project would be welcome, practical or not, lol.
I sew by hand, so my version will be simpler than anybody who's got a sewing machine, but I'm really curious to see all the different results from the same pattern....

Right now I'm in need of reusable shopping bags, so I was thinking we could start with one of those. Easy, quick, and useful, my favorite! Lol.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the pattern some time this weekend. It's a very simple one, but there's room for freestyling.

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: Let's make stuff together?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 02:34:49 AM »
I love this idea! I frequently join knitalongs and makealongs, an arena makealong would be fantastic :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:56:50 AM »
I love this idea a lot!!!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:30 AM »
So this is the pattern I'm using, more or less. I may go with the simple version, I haven't decided yet. It will probably come down to what size fabrics I've got in my stash. I'm doing it without interfacing, too, probably. I prefer squishy bags that fold down to nothing, lol.

https://thestitchingscientist.com/2015/10/free-tote-bag-pattern.html

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 02:44:15 AM »
Oooh cute! I'll go stash diving :) I don't know if I can do 3 fabrics + lining, but I'll see what I can dig out... :3 I'll probably use it as a project bag for knitting, haha ^^

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 06:02:12 AM »
Oh, I've picked up so many cute remnants from Joann's I should be able to find nice matches easily!

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 11:28:15 AM »
I got super into this, and finished mine haha :D It was a really fun pattern to make! Thank you for sharing it ^^
I altered the bottom of the pattern to make the corners more square, so I could box them off more easily (like in the pattern she links to for directions - I love a good box bottom bag)

also, probably something people who sew think to do, but I couldn't see in the blog post - clipping the curved seams before turning the bag!

all in all super enjoyable project, and a great scrap project! lots of topstitching... I love topstitching xD I also chose to make it a bit smaller, as I intend on using it as a project bag instead of shopping bag :) It's a bit wrinkly because my iron broke a while back and I haven't replaced it yet, sorry about that. spoiler for progress pics :)

Spoiler
I had to (again excuse folds and creases ;_; ) cut the top part in 4 pieces as the fabric was JUST too narrow to fit the entire thing.

t รถ p s t i t c h :D

I did run into trouble as I'd accidentally sewn one side together with the sides in the middle, so I had to undo the entire thing >-< But one thing getting heavily into knitting has taught me is patience with ripping things back and redoing them until you're happy with it xD

bonus pic of my cat wearing it as a dress/apron :D

here's the finished bag! you may shame me for not owning an iron.

perfect spindle + 100g fluff size :) (also sorry about cat hair and wool fiber on the sofa >.< I'm a mess, yikes)

This kicked me into sewing gear hard. I've been trying out English Paper Piecing today ^^ If that's somethign people are interested in later, I'd love to share a pattern in the future for another craft together, if that's ok with you, Thimble ^^
(but of course don't want to put any sort of rush into this. I just have zero chill when something is A New Fun Project :silly: )
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:30:00 AM by Shaiyeh »

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 06:24:39 PM »
I've never tried paper piecing for real, so that sounds great! My stash is mostly tiny bits anyway, so that would work out well.

Your bag is awesome!  (Wrinkles are #relatable, :lol:)
I miss my sewing machine so much, lol. Hand sewing is very relaxing, but.....uh, fast it is not.
I've ended up going for a single color inside and out  since i had one giant piece off fabric, and lots of tiny  but no medium. And while a patchwork of the tiny bits would look super cool, it would turn this from a weekend project to a month long thing, lol. So my bag will be plain, but i can always add some sashiko or something later.  I'm very pleased with my progress, I'm about a third done! I went big,lol. I need a carry-all, not a carry-some!

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 07:59:23 AM »
I never tried it until yesterday haha. I'll poke around for something fun to try for later :D Pincushion maybe?

And thank you! ^^ Honestly, I've been looking at irons today, wrinkles happen, but I'd rather not have them for garment making ^^' haha
handsewing is great, but yes... not super quick xD Looking forward to seeing yours :D :lovey:

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
I'm up for whatever next! It's fun to try new things.
Here's my wack at it:

I have a lot of wintery fabrics because that's when I tend to stock up. I got confused by the instructions for the handles so just sorta went for it. ^.^; The topstitching helped it to look quite clean regardless! I love how small it is, too. Perfect for bringing to a flea market or craft fair.
Shaiyeh your cat is so cute!!  :lovey: I love your color combo too!
Thimble, I really suck at handsewing (I'm impatient and I think my stitches are too big) so I commend your perseverance!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
Ooh, yours is cute, too. Yep, still have sewing machine envy....

Half done, lol! Not counting decoration,  lol. I made some significant edits to the  pattern, not sure its still recognizable as the same bag. :/  but better to have the end result that fits my needs, right?

Yeah, the handles are hard to follow straight from the instructions. You should see the pattern i used for my first bag, it broke my brain for months. I was afraid to start, but it all started to make sense when I just went for it. That one inspired the changes I made to the pattern this time. This ones much simpler to follow, lol.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:25:07 PM by Thimble »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
These bags are super cute guys!!! Great job! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:03:59 AM »
Eeeee. 95 percent done! More like 99 if I leave out the decorative bits i had planned from the start, lol. But very important decorations! Must continue, lol.

This  has really helped me stay on task, I don't think I've ever finished a full sewing project in less than week before! Even with a machine! :lol:

But for now, sleeps. And my bag has a date with a lint roller and an iron, before i add the fun stuff. I'll post a before deco and after pic. I'm going for a cute-hobo style, lol. Patches and such.

And confession time, I switched patterns, lol. Well, more like assembly methods. I didn't like how it was looking with all the structural topstitch....by hand. It was too messy for me. So I swapped the assembly order around to let me hide the seams, lol. But like I mentioned, I had edited the original idea to give me a one-handle number. So i have a long handled crossbody number instead of a dainty hand-held.
But isn't that tbe best part of sewing? Custooooooom, muhaha.  Pics sometime tomorrow after work.. Once it looks a bit more presentable, lol.

Online Shaiyeh

• View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
Tailrustedtealeaf yous turned out adorable! :D Nice job! the handle instructions were tricky, indeed. I think? I followed them? I followed them the way I understood them, haha, and it worked out xD but you seem to have worked something out too, and they look great :D

Thimble - yay decorations :D You can do it!  And no shame in altering the project IMO, like you say, that's the charm with making your own stuff. :D

I'm still searching for a good project for next time. I have one I could share, but... I may or may not have finished it. :yikes: So I think I shall look for something else, haha.

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:33 PM »
Do another one, but make it pony themed, lol!

My bag is done, except for the last patch and some embroidery or sashiko....Or both? Why choose, right? I think I'll keep it low key for now, and add to it when i get bored

Does anyone know of  an image hosting site that works from a phone, but doesn't need an app? It would be nice to post pics from my phone...probably a dumb question, but i'm terrible with android.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:04:10 PM by Thimble »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal