collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who hates people calling common ponies "rare" FOR SALES?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who hates people calling common ponies "rare" FOR SALES?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 05:07:39 AM »
Well I dislike it more if I thrift on the fleamarket and people sell common ponies for high prices because online they go for that price. Sell it over there I think. Most people over here come for a bargain. But on the other hand I know our markets are visited very well by tourists who will happily pay for it.

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 06:44:53 AM »
Nah, I don't get angry at that. I know the seller won't care if I try to help so I just ignore these. It's not worth feeling upset for that, to me.  I just move on and don't care. :shrug:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
oh man for years someone has been trying to sell a G3 Boogie Woogie and a G3.5 brushable mcdonalds Starsong for $97 on AU eBay
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2020, 07:29:03 AM »
What gets to me more than anything is people overcharging for DISGUSTING ponies lol. Like, if you think you really have something here, at least take care of it.  :X

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
This is just a hunch, but I'm guessing "inflating prices isn't allowed" means, like, "don't buy up all the toilet paper at Costco and list it for $20 a roll because people are Covid-hoarding", not "you listed your vintage toy for more than someone else listed their vintage toy."

Condition matters sooo much with vintage collectibles, you can't really say "Pony XYZ is worth exactly this."   And then all the variants. I've read entire articles on how to price Pokemon cards and I still don't understand why some holofoil Charizard cards are worth $10,000+ when others--which to me look the same but apparently there's some minute difference--are worth $1,200.  (I think they're even made the same year??)

Yeah, this was what I was getting at. Honestly, I can't imagine any sale platform going to town on enforcing strict pricing limits on second hand toys.

This also reminds me of one of MOC ponies who i stalked on ebay for close to 2 years. I wanted her, but I wasn't interested in the price she was listed at. But eventually, the price came down to my range, and I was able to get her.

I suppose my frustration with this is actually less than people who mislabel ponies under the wrong name, claim it's an exclusive when it isn't, or a rare variant because it's faded...or rerooted...or any of those things. While high prices are a problem, misinformation is actually worse.

It's a deep rooted thing in me since all the reverse gusty scams and also the whole "white haired posey is a UK exclusive" rubbish that happened way back when. Puts my back up far more than someone being greedy with their price because at least that's up front. And you should only ever pay a price for something that you are happy with paying anyway, not because it was paid by x or y already. But if you think you bought something and it turned out to be something else...

Yeah, saw enough of that in the past to really hate misinformation.

Probably a big reason I'm so harsh on ID sites that cba to change bad information, since most of that stuff relates to ponies outside the US and that's apparently less of a problem...I dunno why because it's mostly people in the US who are likely to fall foul of those things when buying ponies. The US information is so concrete online that we can all probably spot a "US exclusive" scam - but there are still so many gaps around the rest of the world that it's not so hard to fake a Nirvana or a "UK variant" and make money from it.

I don't like them, but I'd rather have the "RARE" overpricers that label their item properly than the ones who make stuff up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:07:51 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2020, 07:03:09 AM »
I was watching Hoarders this weekend and it made me think of this thread.  There was a lady who insisted that she could sell an over the door organizer (that I've seen at the dollar store) for $50.  She even said that you "couldn't find that anywhere" so people would pay it.  And she thought that about everything in her house that she "was planning to sell."  I wonder if that's the case with some of these sellers.  They've just gotten such an unrealistic view of the value of their items that they truly believe their item is rare and worth that much.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »
Yeah, I don't think most of the people listing common ponies for inflated prices are trying to fool anybody.  I think they genuinely get it into their head that they have something valuable, and when people tell them otherwise they think "they're just jealous" or "they're trying to trick me into selling it cheap."

Circling back to the Pokemon cards, the reason I was researching them was that one of my friends had a holofoil Charizard card and wanted to sell it.  He was VERY excited at the prospect of having a super rare card.  So I looked into it and quickly realized most Charizard cards weren't worth $10,000+.  Some of them aren't worth much at all.  But when I told him that, it just kind of . . . flew over his head?  Like, he was still positive he had the rarest, most expensive one.  (In the end I told him he should go to a comic book shop to get in contact with a professional appraiser, but I don't know if he ever did.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:50:46 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:07 PM »
I’ve seen some silly overly priced common ponies, but what really bothers me is when the seller knows it’s a common pony, puts it at a fair price, but puts rare in the title just so people looking for rares will come across their actuation.

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 01:41:30 AM »
I’ve seen some silly overly priced common ponies, but what really bothers me is when the seller knows it’s a common pony, puts it at a fair price, but puts rare in the title just so people looking for rares will come across their actuation.

Yes, I've also noticed that quite a few sellers seem to be doing this. The prices are reasonable, so they seem to know the pony isn't really rare, but they add "rare" to all their auction titles on principle. As someone else has already mentioned, I guess it's because the ponies can't be bought new in shops any more.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
One of my favorite hobbies on ebay is the delusional pricing hunt, that amuses me greatly.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
TBH, I wouldn't search 'rare' if I was searching ponies, or htf. They seem like subjective search terms that don't really have any meaning to finding an item you want. If there was a nirvana pony or a moc pony I was looking for, it would be easy to miss the pony by including 'rare' in the search terms. So it's really a waste of time to include it except if someone is just scrolling through.

Which now there aren't proper pony categories (Grr) is another pointless exercise.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
Yeah, I've never known any collector to use "rare" as a search term . . . If you're actually looking for a rare pony, it's probably a specific one, so you search for the pony's name or description.

I was looking for pictures of Care Bear Cousins when I came across this article, and I think it's exactly the kind of thing that convinces people "Oh! Collectible is worth thousands of dollar!"

Your Old Care Bear Could Be Worth Over Ten Thousand Dollars

The bears were the ultimate collectable in the '80's, with their rainbow colours and soft and cuddly designed tummies, and if you've managed to hang on to your Care Bears collection all these years later then you may be sitting on a small goldmine.

With vintage Care Bears now considered a classic, serious toy collectors are now paying huge dollars for cult 80s teddies.

In fact some collections have sold for more than $10,000 - with other single Care Bears fetching hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

And it goes on from there in the same vein.

A few Care Bears / Cousins are worth a lot, like Treat Heart Pig, but MOST of them are very cheap secondhand.  And NOWHERE in the article do they say that.  They imply that every Care Bear is worth hundreds of dollars.  (They also call out original Good Luck Bear as being rare and . . . no??  He's worth $10 or so AFAIK?)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline iam_misshennessy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
I just cant stand scam artists.

Also like I said originally, it would really suck if someone decided to get some as a gift and obviously not knowing much about them, yet not planning to collect them themselves they don't worry about doing research, and they buy them as a gift and spend all of this money just to find out they got scammed.

I dont like those people being in the community. If they can even say they are haha
I SELL VINTAGE & NEW NAME BRAND TOYS!
* Taking a break from inventory to focus on expanding my personal collection, so VERY interested in trades!
- ISO & trade link coming soon! -
SALES
Message with toy requests. 100s of brands!

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 06:00:39 AM »
Because those inflated prices are so high, I highly doubt that anyone would pay them, even an unsuspecting buyer unfamiliar with real prices. If prices of commons are inflated to double or perhaps even triple what they would normally cost, then it's possible a clueless person might buy one as a gift (especially around the holidays). But those prices are so high that I don't think anyone would buy them. It takes two seconds to look stuff up on eBay, and then you would see immediately those ponies are not worth that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal