collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony brand collabs- what do you desire?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Pony brand collabs- what do you desire?
« on: September 02, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
Let’s talk crossovers. Pony has been seeing a lot of them lately- from Wego, Magic the Gathering, and PUR cosmetics, to Tutu du Monde and ColourPop.

Ideally, I would love for the Japanese Takara ponies to be given a second chance at returning and have their line collabed with Japanese fashion designer/brand Mana-says, who runs Moi Meme Moitie (Elegant gothic Lolita) brand, and the Japanese Shironuri fashion influencer, Minori.

Are there any collaborations with MLP that you guys have long dreamt of?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:59:29 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Pony brand collabs- what do you desire?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 01:42:04 PM »
MLP x Transformers toy that's a fully transforming pony / robot.   They could reuse the Mach Kick or Battle Unicorn molds for it.  (Admittedly Mach Kick is a little more "literal horse" appearing than most MLPs but that could be fixed with a little resculpting.)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 02:03:31 PM »
MLP x Transformers toy that's a fully transforming pony / robot.   They could reuse the Mach Kick or Battle Unicorn molds for it.  (Admittedly Mach Kick is a little more "literal horse" appearing than most MLPs but that could be fixed with a little resculpting.)

Dream Beauty Battle Bots?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Sanrio
Care Bears
Jem
Rainbow brite
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
Sanrio

There was a sanrio mlp collab..
Unfortunately it was with g4 and not retro... https://collabo-cafe.com/events/collabo/little-twin-stars-my-little-pony-collabo-harajuku/ It coulda been better imo (like the carebear x Kiki lala..)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:30:16 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Sanrio
Care Bears
Jem
Rainbow brite
i feel Care Bears will work best, given the similarities. Pastel characters. Both have unique symbols that define their personalities: special talents. (Heck, we even have Nobleheart Horse to make a wonderful transition into the Collab). I have long been wanting a Care Bears x MLP Collab.

G4 already collabed with Sanrio a few years ago (I think it was only in a Japan cafe, if I recall correctly). But it never hurts to give it another go. Such a cute Collab!

Not familiar with Jem to comment on that being with MLP.  Same with Rainbow Brite...

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
A Tokidoki crossover makes so much sense, but I know Hasbro tried to pursue legal action a few years ago so is highly unlikely.
Strawberry Shortcake?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »
I feel like EqG (Rainbow Rocks in particular) already ticks the Jem crossover box. That scene at the end of Rainbow Rocks is eerily similar to the scene where JaTH sing Only the Beginning for the first time to draw crowds away from the Misfits' performance...

I remember when they came out the Jem community's theory was basically that MLP was more successful and they could ride the theme better by using the band idea with MLP instead of trying to rehash Jem. And then there was the horrible movie. So yeah.

I don't really want a collab of any kind though. Honestly, I'm over attempts to jazz up MLP by partnering it with this or that.

Big "no" to the fad rush to turn everything into something 'Japanese', also. I put that in quote marks advisedly, since most of the stuff the term points to these days is actually more heavily influenced by the West.

I'm also over the excessive use of lace and frills and the misuse of the word kawaii. It's actually more fitting that most people mispronounce it to sound like the Japanese word for scary (kowai)...

On the Takara subject, realistically, given recent history,  if Hasbro wanted to use the 'Japanese' element, they'd throw pinkie pie out in a kimono before thinking of digging up a dead Takara franchise from 30+ years ago.

I mean, we already had a chicken suit, right?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:46:47 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »
...if Hasbro wanted to use the 'Japanese' element, they'd throw pinkie pie out in a kimono...

In a way they already did.  There was that giant Pinkie Pie celebrating the Year of the Horse.   

For collabs I’d like to see, I’ve recently gotten back into Breyer model horses (mostly for the traditional sized unicorns) and I wouldn’t mind seeing a model horse painted up like a popular mlp character... so long as it isn’t PP or RD.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
...if Hasbro wanted to use the 'Japanese' element, they'd throw pinkie pie out in a kimono...

In a way they already did.  There was that giant Pinkie Pie celebrating the Year of the Horse.   

That was for Lunar New Year. I don't think many japanese people celebrate that

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »

For collabs I’d like to see, I’ve recently gotten back into Breyer model horses (mostly for the traditional sized unicorns) and I wouldn’t mind seeing a model horse painted up like a popular mlp character... so long as it isn’t PP or RD.
i have the CNY Pinkie, and yeah, it’s not Japanese. (Though I wouldn’t mind them throwing g3 Kimono in a kimono at us)
And I don’t think Hasbro even owns the g1 Takara licenses to do anything with the Takaras, even if they wanted to. I think they’re owned by Sony now, last I checked. So at least there may be more hope from them.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 01:24:51 AM »

That was for Lunar New Year. I don't think many japanese people celebrate that

Mm, it was for Chinese New Year.  The traditional clothing is not the same between Japan and China, and Pinkie Pie is definitely not dressed in a kimono :P.

Japan =/= China anyway.

Lunar New Year is recognised in Japan as well, though perhaps not in the same way as it is in China.

Traditionally Japan ran on the lunar calendar, so all the old school stuff in Japan relates to that. They celebrate New Year on 1st Jan particularly now because they got westernised, they used to have those celebrations at the lunar new year instead. And they used to number all their months from then, which is super confusing if you're trying to figure out when something happened xD. SO basically they just moved their New Year to our New Year but kept the celebrations. Very muddling.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:26:41 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 06:29:12 AM »
Wishfully thinking, I think a Blythe collab with reproduction Takara ponies would be very smart- not just because it's very on-brand for how Blythe tends to be styled, but also because Blythe is another Hasbro property and they would mix nicely together!

They could include a special pony with the MLP-inspired Blythe doll, and a whole line of separate ponies on the side to go with it! The vintage Takara MLP packaging is very stylistically similar to Blythe's as well so they would pair nicely, perhaps with only a few minor tweaks to combine the brands.

Asian vintage-style vinyl art dolls are very big right now, and Takara ponies very much fit in that general aesthetic trend (along with Blythe)- seems like a no-brainer collaboration idea to me!

They would probably be a fair bit more expensive than BF Retro ponies, but I can't imagine anyone being too bothered if it meant high quality Takara reproductions in vintage packaging lol.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:31:16 AM by serena-hime »

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm a major glow in the dark freak so I'd say how about a mash-up of MLP & Glo Friends???
Both made by the same company, & feature together in most MLP & Friends comics (which I'm collecting to get the old lot back), so why not??? More glowing Ponies would be awesome!!!
And because many Glo Friends are insect-based, using winger Ponies in the collab would suit very well!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm not a fan of collabs in general...I feel like it's a bit patronizing of them to try to capitalize on my nostalgia, but I do think it would be interesting to see an MLP/Glo Friends one as well. I always thought it was cool how a couple of the first tooth baby ponies came with a Glo Worm...I loved Glo Worms as a kid and was so excited when I saw that...never got one though :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal