collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ultimate Equestria Set- Hair Quality?  (Read 844 times)

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Ultimate Equestria Set- Hair Quality?
« on: August 29, 2020, 12:13:06 AM »
Hi everyone!

Err- not sure if this should go here, very sorry if not!

I recently got the (rarely felt for me) pony bug and I'm trying to get a nice full set of g4/4.5 ponies, one of my main targets being the Ultimate Equestria Collection set with the Mane 6 + Celestia, Luna and Cadance.

However I'm sure sure what kind of hair they have, and being very picky about hair I was wondering if anyone knew- do they have the nice quality nylon, or do they have that dry nasty polypropylene that Hasbro began using a few years back? Or maybe they have nice manes and nasty tails?

I tried to search but couldn't find anything in the forum about this set- apologies if I missed something!

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Equestria Set- Hair Quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:31:10 AM »
I wouldn’t expect any g4 toy to have even halfway decent hair quality. There are a few- very scarce, though, that have pretty nice quality. Potion Nova being one of them. I suggest you try to look for video reviews with this set and see what others think of the hair quality, before buying it yourself.
CrazyPonyLady does legit reviews and honest opinions
https://youtu.be/jELoSJGP2P4
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:32:46 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:00 AM »
I wouldn’t expect any g4 toy to have even halfway decent hair quality. There are a few- very scarce, though, that have pretty nice quality. Potion Nova being one of them. I suggest you try to look for video reviews with this set and see what others think of the hair quality, before buying it yourself.
CrazyPonyLady does legit reviews and honest opinions
https://youtu.be/jELoSJGP2P4
Wait- Potion Nova looks to be g4.5? I'm talking about this set, which I'm pretty sure is g4 (though a different sculpt from the original g4 Fashion Style ponies)

I did look at a few reviews, but most people don't seem to distinguish between bad hair= the fiber itself is not good, or bad hair= it doesn't feel nice immediately after deboxing. I can usually tell what the type of hair is at a glance but I wasn't able to figure it out in any of the photos or videos I saw online, until about 4am when I found a deboxed Pinkie Pie with absolutely destroyed, frazzled hair so I'm assuming they do have the disgusting polypropylene hair that Hasbro has been using since like 2014 for MLP.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »
I thought you were discussing the set with Minty, and I was going to come in screech "Horrible! Disgusting horrible hair! I had to arm myself with body lotion and a hair straightener to tame it!" and then post pictures of my Minty and princesses that I had tamed but the fashion style set...I've not encountered.
My experience with the fashion styles...they're ok? I don't have any from this set, I think (they're starting to creep into thrift stores but my thrifted Fluttershy has the cutie mark on the wrong side to be from this set). I'm not very familiar with Poly hair and I know the quality can wildly differ, like the TrU set with Muffins has very soft hair compared to the set with Minty. If there is super soft Poly, then I think that's what they've been using.
Wish I had this set to give you more input, I think I'm one of a few who still actively collect the G4 ponies. :P This set just ended up a bit expensive for me.
If there is a way to tell Poly from Nylon definitely, maybe I should test it out on the softest of the hair. I know the quality used to be consistently sucky but it's very coin-flip now. (G4.5 have lovely hair thus far though, love those cat guys).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 08:36:46 AM »
I thought you were discussing the set with Minty, and I was going to come in screech "Horrible! Disgusting horrible hair! I had to arm myself with body lotion and a hair straightener to tame it!" and then post pictures of my Minty and princesses that I had tamed but the fashion style set...I've not encountered.
My experience with the fashion styles...they're ok? I don't have any from this set, I think (they're starting to creep into thrift stores but my thrifted Fluttershy has the cutie mark on the wrong side to be from this set). I'm not very familiar with Poly hair and I know the quality can wildly differ, like the TrU set with Muffins has very soft hair compared to the set with Minty. If there is super soft Poly, then I think that's what they've been using.
Wish I had this set to give you more input, I think I'm one of a few who still actively collect the G4 ponies. :P This set just ended up a bit expensive for me.
If there is a way to tell Poly from Nylon definitely, maybe I should test it out on the softest of the hair. I know the quality used to be consistently sucky but it's very coin-flip now. (G4.5 have lovely hair thus far though, love those cat guys).

Thanks! I decided to just put them on the backburner from now, as it seems they might have poly hair and...ew. I'm hoping I can find the princesses separately or something, because I only really wanted the set for the accurately-designed princesses. I can always reroot them, but paying 70$ for all those ponies just to reroot 3 and give the rest to my sister is...a bit much LOL

I admit I disappeared from ponies for a bit, but I suddenly got into both g3 and g4 again at the same time and now have like..20 ponies on the way to me from both generations lmao, luckily I prefer the FS-sized g4 ponies over the brushables so my list of wants is a bit smaller than if I mostly collected the 3'' brushables haha
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:42:37 AM by serena-hime »

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
I can't speak for this particular set you are looking at, but the reviews seem good (4.9 out of 5 stars), and it's a cute set! I wish I could order just the princesses and Spike from it, to go with my 6" ponies pictured below.

I have this set, from a few years ago I think, and despite the fact that they had this awful factory glue holding their hair in place that took an age to wash out with Oops adhesive remover, their hair seems to be of a quality of the g1 ponies. They are similar looking 6" ponies, and we are pretty happy with their quality in general. If the set you are interested in has hair like these, I think you'll be happy with them.

[visitors can't see pics , please register or login
]

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
I can't speak for this particular set you are looking at, but the reviews seem good (4.9 out of 5 stars), and it's a cute set! I wish I could order just the princesses and Spike from it, to go with my 6" ponies pictured below.

I have this set, from a few years ago I think, and despite the fact that they had this awful factory glue holding their hair in place that took an age to wash out with Oops adhesive remover, their hair seems to be of a quality of the g1 ponies. They are similar looking 6" ponies, and we are pretty happy with their quality in general. If the set you are interested in has hair like these, I think you'll be happy with them.

[visitors can't see pics , please register or login
]

I can vouch for this set. I got them at Costco when they were only $30 and they're some of the best late-G4 ponies you can hope to find. I actually don't mind the glue because I'm not good at fixing hair and I'm glad it can stay in place... :lol: But yes, when there isn't glue, like Twilight's tail for example, it's very soft.

Pros:
  • Great hair, if you don't mind the glue. And if you get rid of the glue, apparently it's fantastic!
  • The hair is accurate to the ponies! Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and AJ all have their forelocks as they properly should. They look really nice.
  • The eyes are detailed! I prefer the eyes that the styling seaponies had, but I guess those were a one-and-done thing, unfortunately. I can't complain about these, though, and I'd take them over any other G4! The highlights have an opacity to them, they have the signature gradient that FiM ponies have, as well as sparkles. Compare that to any other late G4, whose eyes lack any detail-- not even a gradient!
  • More about the eyes, maybe it's just me that's bothered by it, but Twilight and Fluttershy's eyes became so ugly as time went on. Well, I guess Twilight's eyes were always ugly in my opinion, but they're more show-accurate here, and Fluttershy is very cute too!

Cons:

Quality. This can be said with any late G4 product, really. I bought mine *at* Costco so I was able to sift through all the boxes and find one with the least amount of problems. Most of said problems were just copious amounts of factory dirt, but there were some ponies with smudged or misplaced eyes, and one of the Rainbow Dashes had a messed up wing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
Thanks guys! I actually do have that set on the way to me right now, imo they're the best set of (brushable at least) Mane 6 ponies out there- especially considering the eyes/sculpt and the accurate hair and good hair quality- and I knew I wanted them when they came out, but it took me forever to actually grab them haha! The reason I actually want the Ultimate Equestria set is because the princesses+ Spike will pair nicely with the Magic of Everypony set, to give me a complete/perfect FIM set of the major characters lol!

I will definitely still get the Ultimate Equestria set eventually, but I'm holding off for a while because I know it's a pretty high price tag just to get 3 ponies out of it (which I will then need to buy hair for and reroot)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:04:52 AM by serena-hime »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal