collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shortening the gender gap? More male ponies?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Shortening the gender gap? More male ponies?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
I'm all for more boy ponies, in terms of future generations. LadyMoondancer did have some good points, though, about not encouraging the romantic interest-type of storyline. Girls have many years ahead of them to hear those types of stories play out, and I've never been a fan of the whole 'well, we need to have a prince for every princess', 'a Ken for every Barbie' kind of rationale that Disney and its ilk have made so commonplace.

G1 did have a good handful of boys, but they didn't come along until later. The big brothers were just being introduced as my interest in ponies was starting to wane; towards the end of my childhood. So we just had to use our imagination. Plenty of our 'girl' ponies were boys...Posey, Skyflier, Gusty, babies Shady, Heartthrob, TicTacToe and Quackers, for some. Most of our storylines weren't revolving around dating-type scenarios (that didn't even cross my radar at 8 years old), although Posey and Lickety Split were a married couple. Honestly, I guess I almost wish that ponies were made a bit more ambiguous as far as gender goes, to leave that decision up to the child who owns it. Obviously if there's a TV show that accompanies the characters, this is impossible, g4 being an example, but g1 could have gotten away with it a bit more, I think.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 10:12:50 AM »
I would have liked to see more G4 boys if they gave them a good head of hair like they used to.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »
Another two G1s who totally should have been boys were Sugarcake & Gametime. They were even promoted in boy poses!!!

Re newborns: the fact they are so young means the difference between males & females won't show on them yet (at least not on a child's toy), so in my Ponyworld Shaggy is a boy... Same with Teeny Tinies, so the twins Bootsie & Teeny Tootsie are also male in my Ponyworld.

The fact that G2 males also look a lot like G2 females (maybe another stage, like early puberty where the females temporarily take on male traits???) means I can make G2s like Snowball & Majesty Star male as well.

For G3s, aside making them go along with the G1s partly (thicker hair on the back of their hooves), I added more subtle details, like using the Core 7 pose, only giving their eyes one colour (the girls had two) & giving some freckles.

G4, agree completely with Taffeta: we should have had more brushable G4s AT ALL!!! Not just Mane 6 ad nauseum...

Back to G1: to me Sportstime & Schoolbag are both girls, while I've Customised Family Friends Dads in furry-hoof poses. I've been one of the biggest buyers of HQG1C male pose Ponies, blanks included, just to add more boys to my herd. Not so they can marry necessarily, but just so my Ponyworld has male characters in it.

Everybody has their own interpretation of who's a boy & who's a girl though... I'm just stating my opinions. I like male toys to mix in with the females, just to add variety
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
There is ReUnicorno-(I'd be satisfied with a custom of him.) A South American alternate Baby Ribbs who is a pegasus. And the Mexican Prince Ponies.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
I enjoyed the Big Brothers and baby brothers because they were a bit bigger and I liked that.  I also appreciated their lovely hair.  This isn't related, but I thought the G4s were too small.  I had a harder time styling their hair. I agree that making them into couples is not what young girls need to see.  I think Big Mac's character was great in that sense. 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »
If future lines have molds that are used for both males and female ponies (like G2 or G1 Sportstime) then they could have some toys that just don't use pronouns on the backcards (like banditpony mentioned) and kids could decide for the themselves . . . That would be pretty neat.  It would also open up the path for nonbinary ponies, which would be neat.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 03:43:53 PM »
If future lines have molds that are used for both males and female ponies (like G2 or G1 Sportstime) then they could have some toys that just don't use pronouns on the backcards (like banditpony mentioned) and kids could decide for the themselves . . . That would be pretty neat.  It would also open up the path for nonbinary ponies, which would be neat.
I think that would be neat too. 

One of the reasons why I love G1 is that there are a lot more of the toys than TV characters.  So, they could be any gender a kid wanted them to be. 

When I see a cute cat, dog, animal or plant... my first thought isn't what gender it is.  I tend to feel the same way about MLP toys.

However, I prefer that in MLP cartoons girls are the main protagonists having adventures and solving problems together because there aren't a lot of shows that do that.  Usually there is a boy somewhere nearby either being the hero or being the clever helper.  Rarely is it a group of only girls working together.  Having some shows of girls working together is good for girls.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
I think we need more male ponies, especially pegs and unis in the G1 style.  After receiving HQG1C's Tradewinds, and seeing how well they added a horn onto the Dancing Butterflies mold, I'm hoping male unis may be in the near future.  Then, maybe, add wings to a brother mold?  Could you just imagine, a green male pegasus, with mane and tail almost the same shade of neon green as Surprise's, with two blue alligators as his symbol?  I'd put him on the shelf with my happy tails ponies, who all have similar animal duo symbols.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »
I think we need more male ponies, especially pegs and unis in the G1 style.  After receiving HQG1C's Tradewinds, and seeing how well they added a horn onto the Dancing Butterflies mold, I'm hoping male unis may be in the near future.  Then, maybe, add wings to a brother mold?  Could you just imagine, a green male pegasus, with mane and tail almost the same shade of neon green as Surprise's, with two blue alligators as his symbol?  I'd put him on the shelf with my happy tails ponies, who all have similar animal duo symbols.

XD

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 09:10:19 PM »
Regarding G3, about a third or so of my herd are boys in my headcanon. That works for me.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

However, I prefer that in MLP cartoons girls are the main protagonists having adventures and solving problems together because there aren't a lot of shows that do that.  Usually there is a boy somewhere nearby either being the hero or being the clever helper.  Rarely is it a group of only girls working together.  Having some shows of girls working together is good for girls.

This is a good point. It reminds me of the episode of Jem where the train goes out of control and Rio steals a motorbike and has this whole action sequence to catch up to it just to tell 5 grown women to pull the emergency cord to stop the train. Even though one of them alreadt used the emergency cord earlier in the story for another (valid) reason. And one of the five is a company CEO.

I guess it depends if MLP is a girl's toy or a kid's toy overall.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »

This is a good point. It reminds me of the episode of Jem where the train goes out of control and Rio steals a motorbike and has this whole action sequence to catch up to it just to tell 5 grown women to pull the emergency cord to stop the train. Even though one of them alreadt used the emergency cord earlier in the story for another (valid) reason. And one of the five is a company CEO.

I guess it depends if MLP is a girl's toy or a kid's toy overall.

OMG *shakes head at male action hero / helpless damsels trope*

As Gator said earlier, Boys with wings (G1 brother/daddy moulds) could look amazing!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 08:20:15 AM »
Personally I never really cared that much about male ponies but I'm okay with some amount of them, of course as long as they don't serve the role of the saviors or romantic interests. I think the Filly Funtasia cartoon had a good approach to it: the main cast of five characters has three girls and two boys, which is relatively balanced without making boys the majority.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 07:14:37 AM »
I'd love more boy ponies. Still very annoyed that they made a few different boy molds for the G4 movie reboot poses and only used each one for one character (unicorn = Shining Armor, earth pony = Big Mac, pegasus = Soarin, young earth pony = Sandbar). Put 5 more characters in each of those molds, please. :( Put 'em to good use!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
I'm only for more male ponies if they don't take away the leader positions or uncommon jobs for the female ponies. Like, I absolutely detest when people say there needs to be a king for "balance" and RD and AJ should be genderbent to become boys in the next gen, because it would erase the female ruler, the ungirly girl and the worker girl and replace with bottom of the barrel male archetypes you can find anywhere, including real life.
No shame in having a mare-triarchy :P Fantasy ponies don't have to replicate RL human gender roles.

As for toys, I am all for male ponies who get to have manes and look colorful. I always praise G2 for not having sexual dimorphism or characteristics even tho I think it was just done as a cost cutting measure.

The point of MLP is fancy ponies, not fancy mares and boring, brown stallions who all get buzzcuts because they have to go to military school. That look will never be MLP for me. MLP is technicolor, girly and bright. Otherwise it would just be Spirit Riding Free :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal