collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PC and Restoration help with SS Cupcake  (Read 591 times)

Offline StillandSilent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
PC and Restoration help with SS Cupcake
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
I recently purchased this Cupcake.  As you can see in the pics, she does come with her back card, as well as her original bubble.  The front of the card is pretty torn up, but it looks like the entire thing is there, and could possibly be lined up by someone with more skills than mine and fixed. Back card is worn, but pretty and with no major creases She has no accessories. 
Pony herself is not missing one strand of flocking, and has lovely factory curls.  They are dry and a bit frizzed, but I am not sure what to do about that.
The big problem is those spots visible on her legs.  They are a rusty brown color and really stand out.  She does not smell of mold or anything like that.
What would be the best method for restoring her without damaging her perfect flocking?   
Also, price check please for her with the spots, and for if I can remove them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Post Merge: August 26, 2020, 04:06:21 PM

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: PC and Restoration help with SS Cupcake
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
Yikes, those look like age spots..but maybe not, it's hard to tell for sure.  Is the brown color in the flocking, the glue, or on the plastic of the body? 

I think I've seen spray-on Oxiclean recommended for so softs, but I've never tried it myself.  Maybe someone else has tried it?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »
There is always the risk that water or any scrubbing will cause the flocking to come loose, really depends on how strong the glue is.
I'm on mobile so links are a bit finicky, but here's a thread with various methods:
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=285224.0
I personally use shampoo and the coldest water I can stand, but I've not had so softs with such...dark spots. Usually just a bit of surface dirt.
I can't help much with Price Checking right now as backcards are beyond me, but I think Cupcake is a more common SS, likely $20 in excellent condition. I think if you get her curls straightened out, maybe $10-15 because of her thick flocking. I'm sleepy though so have a salt shaker with that estimate.  :zzz:

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
Following...I have a SS Heartthrob with the exact same spots on her that I'd like to remove.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
I might be interested in her, depending on the price.
May I ask where you are located?
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline StillandSilent

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I will see what I can do with her. 
I am in NC, USA

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »
yep oxyclean is a good suggestion.  I have also used a toilet bowl cleaner (for the bleach) and whitening toothpaste is also a good cleaner.   Can also use like a tide-spot remover/cleaner.  Just use a toothbrush to scrub in gently and see if the stains get removed.  Honestly unless you really dig with your fingernails or use something like a goof-off glue remover (so don't use jasco) than that flocking should stay on.

If it is a mold base than I would recommend a peroxide bath - can go with a boiling water treatment to kill the mold.  The bath would be a last option though since it would be wise to remove the head so you can make sure you don't leave water in there after that bath and of course, some collectors frown on a moving pony head as well as more a risk of flocking loss at the seam for that maneuver

Just be sure to condition the hair after a peroxide bath as it can be drying to the nylon

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:12:41 PM by maycrestmom »

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »
I cleaned up spots on my Truly and Magic Star with just the tiniest touches of resolve carpet cleaner and a q-tip (I had the foaming kind on hand so I sprayed a bit on a plate then applied it with the q-tip).  It allowed me to work the product into the fuzz without too much risk of damage, and without having to wet down the pony and risk loosening the glue.  A soft, used toothbrush is good at getting the fuzz to stand up again if needed.  But, those were for sure surface dirt of well-loved ponies (mine, from childhood) if it's age spots it may be a bigger problem... the glue can discolor over time, and both of those ponies have some spots I can't remove.

For the hair, I like the method here if you'd like to preserve the factory curls http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html it's fiddly and time consuming but I've had luck with it on both the teeny tiny newborns and some various other MLPs.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
I've had success using handsoap and a soft bristled baby toothbrush to gently loosen dirt and stains..  It depends on what is causing the spot, but I like to try the simplest/least chemical solution first and then move up if that doesn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal