collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Figure, figurine or doll  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Figure, figurine or doll
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 04:16:17 AM »
 :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw: :dropjaw:
I never would have dreamed in a million years I'd see
So many Pony-loving people who agree with me!!!

I love you all!!! I often see "toy pony" written on Customs declarations as well, so yep, why not their own term??? I use figure as it refers to not only MLP, but also Fairy Tails, Keypers & other similar non-doll toy lines from the 80s & 90s.

Taffeta so much yep!!! I literally never liked baby dolls from the get-go, & even the Sindys i played with went on adventures & climbed trees (remember Sindy???). And yep, the MLP comic stories & books are great. One Mini World book has the Ponies fighting off trolls!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 05:06:47 AM »
Brushable toy horses.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 06:24:29 AM »
I just say "pony" or "pony toy"/"toy pony". I agree with "doll" being more of a human thing, so I'd call Megan and Molly dolls, as well as the EQGs, but the ponies are... ponies. ^^'
:silly:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »
I just generally call them toys. I write "plastic toy pony" on customs. But it fits within the definition of figure/figurine.

I feel like dolls are typically human-like... (maybe there are exceptions, I'm not sure).

figure and figurine are sort of interchangable, but refer to something that is more statue-like. Figurines skew more small. A figure can be bigger, like a carousel horse. I could be wrong, but it seems like a doll would also fall under the figure umbrella.

action figures... are figures with some sort of interactive element... like articulation. They have a history of being initially marketed to boys (GI Joe)... but like all things, are not limited to boys.

I also stumbled across this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Biz,_Inc._v._United_States

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SailorEarth

• Xena: Warrior Pony
  • Trade Count: (+165)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cosplaycassie.com
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
Back when we still had to fill out customs forms (is that even still a thing?) for shipping out of the country I would always write "toy pony".

Yes, it's a thing, and it has been a thing consistently for the last 2 decades at least.

I was hyperbolically referring to the handwritten carbon copy customs forms which I haven't seen in my post office for many years now. I'm aware customs forms are still a thing :)

Wish List~Pony Sales
Thanks Lina & Rainbowjuice for my adoptables!

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:17 AM »
I typically call them figures since that's what I use them for (display and restoration). I have many cherub figurines and I call them that because they are smaller/more fragile (since they're made of porcelain). Dolls in my eyes are like Barbies, Bratz, and other toys resembling humans. I have also been calling my MLP figures just "ponies" as when I say that to people in my life, they instantly know what I'm talking about! Suppose it's all up to personal opinion what they're called!  :P

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »
Hmm... I always just called them “ponies” or “My Little Ponies”, I guess. XD Kind of like how I referred to all fashion dolls as “Barbies” when I was little, regardless of manufacturer.

That said, I guess if I had to classify them I’d call them “pony dolls”. You can dress them up and style their hair, and those aspects of play are encouraged by playsets and accessories. I also feel like I’ve read that term on packaging (i.e., “Includes 1 pony doll and accessories.”). I guess I would call Kingsley a “lion doll” and Oakley a “moose doll”, for that matter.

For me, a figurine implies something like the G4 blind bag ponies, with tiny size, zero articulation, and no brushable hair. Figure is so heavily associated with the term “action figure” that it’s hard for me to think of the average, non-poseable MLP as one.

...What I’m realizing is that all these terms are pretty arbitrary. XD What you call your ponies is going to be down to personal perception, and that’s fine. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:22:26 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
A horse toy. It always confuses me when people call them dolls and I've never heard of people referring to them as action figures. Dolls are for people shaped toys. Figurines would be more appropriate for the ceramic statues that were made. The fact that not all ponies have hair to brush and style does not detract from them being horse toys, since many toy horses have moulded manes and tails. However those should always remain a sideline and never overtake the main line of MLP. It was also my gateway into model/toy horse collecting.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:32:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 12:43:21 AM »
figure

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 01:36:45 AM »
I don't think 'plushie' is a very UK-ish term to be honest. I don't remember it as a kid either.

I do remember that the term So Soft was used for the plush G1 ponies, which confused me a lot when I found DV. I thought all the SS ponies were plushes. ;)

I also agree with that distinction between what dolls meant then and now. If I had been a kid growing up with a choice between G4 and Monster High I would've gone for the dolls without question. MH and EAH - but especially MH - took away the girly dimension and all of that patronising stuff associated with them and the 'things girls do'. Yeah they had fashions and stuff but it was a lot more colourful and creative. While of course G4 stepped back into some of those stereotypes with the really pink packages, parties and fashion.  Of course then the reboot happened, they removed Ghoulia and tried to streamline it into something more girly and 'safe' and I lost interest. I felt like Ghoulia was important in that she communicated differently and was smart despite the stereotype of stupid zombies, and for me removing her was a big mistake. As a kid I would have probably identified most with Ghoulia for those reasons. And then they took her out, so yeah.

(I do like EqG for their colours, although it's mostly all about Sunset Shimmer...because she also has an interesting storyline).

Jem was the coolest doll line of the 1980s imo, but the problem was it ended in 1987-8 and I never saw a Jem doll when I was a kid. I remember I had a VHS for MLP and there's a Jem trailer on it but it's the Abracadabra video for one of the Misfits' songs, I think...which means I thought it was some weird show about magicians and ignored it. I was too young I suppose. I was only 6 in 1988 when the line was about done. I only remember wall to wall barbie. And Barbie in the Uk was all blond hair and blue eyes, no other versions. I wanted something different.

Hence barbie, sindy etc were OUT. I think that was also the appeal of G1, it had so many colours and combinations and wasn't just a wall of sameness. (And this is also why the M6 and I don't get along. Colours, yes. Sameness, yes).

Shana is still my favourite Jem doll, even if she's not my favourite character.

And I only have a handful of EAH dolls, but my favourite is Justine, although I had to get her from the US :/ because I never saw her here. UK stock true to form again...sigh.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:44:20 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 03:21:38 AM »
What a fascinating discussion!

The English word I first learned for plushies was stuffed animal (+ teddy for bears, of course). Is that UK-specific? Or old-fashioned? Does anyone call them stuffed animals these days? :lol: In my native language we call them 'soft toys'.

Pony toy or toy pony is also my preferred term for (brushable) MLP + fakies. I guess most people who aren't MLP fans will use My Little Pony as a general term, just like Barbie is often used to refer to all fashion dolls. I know that as kids we did this with my sister, despite being well aware that some of our ponies were not real MLP and some of our "Barbies" were actually Steffi or Petra dolls.

I've also always associated dolls with human shaped toys, and it was really difficult to get used to artists calling their poseable animal figures "dolls" but you see this a lot on Deviantart and elsewhere. I would personally call those poseable figures, like I just did. :D Not action figures, however! I also associate that term with toys depicting humans. But I agree with the distinction between dolls and action figures --> dolls generally have brushable hair and/or clothes and other accessories. (Then again, wooden dolls are a thing... and ragdolls! And I'm getting carried away but Finnish has a single word denoting both dolls and puppets so that also undoubtedly affects my semantic categories.)

The distinction between figure and figurine is tough to pinpoint, too. Figurines are smaller and static? Whereas figures are larger and may (or may not) have moving parts or gimmicks. But I use them more or less interchangeably myself. I tend to associate both terms with collecting rather than child's play: as a child, I had a lot of different horse toys. Similarly I would probably call other animal toys [animal] + toy or toy + [animal], or even [brand] + toy, e.g. LPS toy. But from a collector's perspective, LPS figure/figurine or Schleich figure/figurine etc.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 07:38:51 AM »
I also agree with that distinction between what dolls meant then and now. If I had been a kid growing up with a choice between G4 and Monster High I would've gone for the dolls without question. MH and EAH - but especially MH - took away the girly dimension and all of that patronising stuff associated with them and the 'things girls do'. Yeah they had fashions and stuff but it was a lot more colourful and creative. While of course G4 stepped back into some of those stereotypes with the really pink packages, parties and fashion.  Of course then the reboot happened, they removed Ghoulia and tried to streamline it into something more girly and 'safe' and I lost interest. I felt like Ghoulia was important in that she communicated differently and was smart despite the stereotype of stupid zombies, and for me removing her was a big mistake. As a kid I would have probably identified most with Ghoulia for those reasons. And then they took her out, so yeah.

I got into MH just because they were so colorful. IMHO the reboot just made them less "Bratzy" (and also cut out the articulation on the more budgety ones) but they were still colorful so I didn't lose interest, just became more choosy. Of course the majority of adult fans were former Bratz and My Scene (Mattel's original "Bratzy" line) fans so the departure from that style killed it for them and the target audience was already losing interest even before the reboot thanks to the surprise toy trend that culminated in LOL Surprise.

As for Ghoulia they got rid of her because they gave her scientific smarts to Frankie, who before the reboot, while cute, didn't have much character because she was supposed to be the "everygirl" character that girls could connect with. "Everygirl" characters are boring and have the opposite effect. People were more able to connect with characters like Ghoulia and Clawdeen and this is a problem because Frankie is supposed to be one of the main characters.

I've gone off on a tangent but tbh I feel the reboot would have been successful if the whole surprise toy thing didn't happen.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
Soft Toys was definitely what I grew up with. I remember slowly being introduced to "plush" meaning soft as I grew older, though I think it may have been a brand name??? From the term plush it's not that big a leap for any Scot (we're fond of putting ie sounds on the end of words anyway, like Hoosie, Mousie etc) to reach the modern term plushie, which thanks to the internet has become the most widely-accepted term for soft toys today.

And more love to everybody who agrees on the "doll" equals "human-like toy" opinion. :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »
We said stuffed toy.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
I also feel like I’ve read that term on packaging (i.e., “Includes 1 pony doll and accessories.”).

Based on that link about tarriffs I found (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Biz,_Inc._v._United_States ), I don't think Hasbro would of called them dolls pre-00s due to dolls being subjected to a higher tariff then a toy.

I looked at various packaging for G1 and either they didn't say pony, or included the pony name and G3 packaging said "pony figure" (at least, they few that I checked did.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:41:19 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal