collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How many original Rapunzel ponies exist today? Any idea?  (Read 923 times)

Offline maian82_123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
How many original Rapunzel ponies exist today? Any idea?
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:49:54 PM »
We were talking about G1 Rapunzel on one facebook group and we wondered how rare it actually is. Does anyone over here have real facts about this, please? How many were made for example? How many of you own one?

According to our Facebook group's knowledge we don't have an original Rapunzel in our country but naturally there might be someone who has no connection to other collectors. For example I was like that in only a couple of months ago! Only recently I have found other collectors in my own country through Facebook.

p.s. If someone is planning to sell an original G1 Rapunzel in excellent to near mint condition please let me know! I would like to buy :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How many original Rapunzel ponies exist today? Any idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
I certainly do not have one, but I was also not alive when she was available!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
I don't think she's as rare as her price suggests. She's a mail order, which means there are probably fewer than there were for store release, but she was also made for the US and I think (?) Canadian market, which is huge, and therefore there are probably quite a lot of them. How many survive is difficult to know but I've seen a lot on sale online over the years. Certainly we're not talking about her being rare like some of the Nirvana ponies are.

Her price is very inflated but I am not really sure why or how that happened offhand. I remember back in the late 1990s a good one would set you back around $200. Now it can be close to $1000, but there's no real justification for it. I can understand $1000 for a MOC Mountain Boy given how few exist overall. I don't understand it for Rapunzel.

I own her, although mine is not mint. But I didn't pay anything for her, so I'm not really concerned about it. I traded for her back in 1998 or 1999.

To my knowledge she was only available in the US and Canada, and mine came from the US.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
Some have suggested as few as 100, but I would venture to guess that they produced at least one full factory run. In G3 terms, that was 1,000. I don't know what it would have been for G1. Now, as for how many survive today, that's a tough guess. People still find old retail stock in storage units, like what happened many years ago with Baby Dancing Butterflies. It *could* happen for Rapunzel or other MOs, but we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
Some have suggested as few as 100, but I would venture to guess that they produced at least one full factory run. In G3 terms, that was 1,000. I don't know what it would have been for G1. Now, as for how many survive today, that's a tough guess. People still find old retail stock in storage units, like what happened many years ago with Baby Dancing Butterflies. It *could* happen for Rapunzel or other MOs, but we'll have to wait and see.

I remember some rumour about a surplus of mail order ponies that met an unknown fate but I don't know the truth behind it.

I do know that the UK had a flurry of MO and other US release ponies (slumber party especially) in weird packages at the end of the line on clearance, including birthflower and TAF babies. Nothing like Rapunzel though.

But I also recall a friend - who can come and correct me if I am remembering wrongly - who had all the mail order ponies bar Sugarcake when they came out. Sugarcake they ran out of and she either had a double of gametime or...something. There was a note they sent saying that they'd run out of stock, anyway.

I have never heard of anyone who wanted to order Rapunzel not getting her, so the idea that they would only produce 100 is a bit...farfetched to me. It sounds like a rumour borne of this idea she's super rare, but I am pretty sure I have seen at least 100 just on sale online and the internet transactions on ebay etc are only a portion of transactions that go on in a trading community. For example my Rapunzel was acquired by my trade partner for me from another trader but this was all done through the network of who she knew and there was never any kind of public "want list" or anything like that.

There are also at least some mip Rapunzels surviving, which means there was surplus.

Rapunzel was made for the biggest pony market out there - the US and Canada - which population wise makes the idea of one run of 1000 total a bit...unlikely too IMO. Even if she was a Mail Order pony.

Now how many of those 'survive' is harder to quantify, but what people maybe are not remembering is that all ponies were much more common in the late 1990s and early 2000s...and that not all of the people who collected ponies then are still online. Many still have their collections, but are not active in the community. I suspect the vast majority of ponies like Rapunzel are in those collections.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 05:18:30 AM »
Considering how often she is for sale though, compared to other rare ponies, I would assume there are quite a large number of her out there, unless people just dont keep theirs very long and sell them off again looking like there are a lot, when they are just the same ponies beeing sold over and over again.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal