collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Figure, figurine or doll  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Mar1978

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mariosp
Figure, figurine or doll
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »
What do you consider a my little pony in your mind? Personally I consider them figures, but also does the hair make them also a doll?

I have seen it described as action figure as well, I guess some can be considered that, I have seen some limb articulated g4 and I think g2?  (not sure if the ones whose head is meant to turn like peek a boos and ponies across the generations who did have a head that could turn, are considered articulated)
Would like to know opinions

Marios

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Figure, figurine or doll
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:42:02 AM »
brushable figure
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
I always went with pony toy.  I mean, My Little Pony has been around so long, I'm sure most people have an idea in their head of what that looks like and what it is.  Trying to describe it any other way would just confuse people.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »
Probably going to be a massively unpopular opinion, but I think that since the brushable ponies come with, yanno...brushes and accessories, they would be considered dolls- like any other toy that has brushable hair- Barbie dolls, Troll Dolls....
The figures would be just sculpted (including the blind bags)
formerly nightmare muffin

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »
I'm never sure what to call them, either... I usually just go with "pony toy", "animal toy" or maybe "figure". A blind bag pony's a figure, definitely, but if they've got brushable hair... I dunno. I guess "animal toy" works.

IMO an action figure needs some "action" before it can be called that. :P So I guess I'd call the articulated G4s, or the Magic Motion G2s, etc, "action figures" but not a regular static pony. I guess "doll" isn't *technically* incorrect but, I dunno, it just feels wrong to call them that. Maybe that's just me, though. *shrug*

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
I personally hate when MLPs are referred to as dolls (except Megan, Molly & the EQGs), because to me a doll is a toy made to resemble a human, with two legs, two arms & a head on top of a relatively upright body. I say relatively as you get baby dolls as well, but the main point is their human-like aspect is what imo makes them a doll.

In the same vein I hear people calling all soft toys, teddies, & I'm like nope, due to a teddy being a kind of anthropomorphic bear, with classic bear face, classic bear ears, classic bear paws for back, or lower, feet & the rest in an upright position like Build-A Bear bears & Care Bears to give two examples. I'd never call my plushie sharky from Ikea a teddy, because she's a sharky.

I'd refer to MLP toys as figures: figures you can put stuff on & place in buildings, figures with brushable hair (ideally). Just basically a toy figure shaped like a Pony (ish but that's another topic entirely) with a (usually) brushable mane & tail.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
I call them all three, just not Action Figure because there is no Action. The only Action is that they take my money.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »
Figures, I guess. When I think of figurines, I think of the little 2-inch-high painted figures made of a resin-type material that I had as a kid; I think I had Smurfs, Care Bears, and maybe some Disney characters.

However, this morning my son let his little sisters each play with one of his FiM ponies, they are the big 6" ones, and they have a lot of hair. I couldn't help thinking as these 2 tiny girls were walking around with these big (comparatively, to their size) ponies clutched to their chests that they looked like little girls carrying around a doll. Maybe because all I could see of them was hair, I don't know. But no, I wouldn't normally call them dolls.

Offline SailorEarth

• Xena: Warrior Pony
  • Trade Count: (+165)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cosplaycassie.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
Back when we still had to fill out customs forms (is that even still a thing?) for shipping out of the country I would always write "toy pony".

Wish List~Pony Sales
Thanks Lina & Rainbowjuice for my adoptables!

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
I call them figures.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Back when we still had to fill out customs forms (is that even still a thing?) for shipping out of the country I would always write "toy pony".

Yes, it's a thing, and it has been a thing consistently for the last 2 decades at least.

On custom forms I write either used toy, toy pony, pony toy. Something like that.

I agree with PonyBookworm on the doll aspect, it always seems weird when people refer to figures clearly not meant to be humanoid or anthropomorphic as a 'doll'. It's pretty common though...I don't really see how having a brush and accessories makes it a doll, since real horses can have brushes and accessories and nobody's calling them a human because of it...(real horses also have hair!)

...There's also a 'girly toy' slur about the word doll for me. As a kid I hated dolls, and I hated the pink aisle, and I hated the "girly" type of things some of the other kids did, like playing mums and dads and taking baby doll out for a walk/changing nappy etc. I still find those things degrading to young girls, by forcing them into a role they should choose to follow, not be shoehorned into by toys from an early age.

G1 MLP was never enforcedly "girly" in that kind of sense for me as a kid. Because it was so much a toy you made what you chose from, it wasn't necessary to play all those sickly girly games. I mean, I had some ponywear. I had Star Gleamer with her nail polish and stuff. But my ponies fought zombies and abseiled out of windows and went on rambles and beach trips. *shrug*. And I feel like there were a lot of stories in the comic which were about ponies dealing with problems/mischievous magic/evil magic/whatever that it didn't feel like that world where barbie has tea with ken and then dresses all in pink to go for a stroll while smiling ridiculously.

So yeah, for me "doll" is a no. "Pony" is a yes.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »
I call them all three, just not Action Figure because there is no Action. The only Action is that they take my money.

Ain't that the truth!!  :silly:

But seriously, I guess I've never really thought about what to call them (in conversations) beyond "My Little Ponies." I think on customs forms I've just written something really vague like "plastic toys."  People are making good cases for various terms!  The doll debate is fascinating - yeah, they can be dressed up, and they have brushable hair, but they aren't humanoid in form...
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
I guess if I had to choose I’d call them “pony toys.”  I agree with the doll sentiment.  I’ve seen them referred to as dolls in articles and interviews and such.  Even Bonnie Zacherle has a refrain she uses in interviews I’ve seen comparing her idea for a pony toy to a doll.  But I also have this slight inward twinge when I hear that word used for ponies.  I also tend to equate “dolls” with something human shaped.

And just for fun, here is what Merriam-Webster has to say

a small-scale figure of a human being used especially as a child’s plaything

So you know by that definition, an action figure, no matter how masculine, is closer to being a doll than a pony toy is  :shrug:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 11:57:00 PM »
For me, a doll is something with brushable hair or has things like interchangeable accessories or something. A figurine is a chunk of plastic that cannot move or hold any accessories, but it can be placed in a setting with other figurines for play. An action figure is similar to the figurine, but has moving components. If I drew a Venn diagram, it would be in the middle of doll and figurine.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 01:35:50 AM »
It's interesting reading people's views! I'm a bit boring, I just call them ponies :lol:.

When I'm talking about my toy collection I say that I have dolls (as in Monster High, Ever After High, Jem etc), beanies (mostly Ty beanie babies, but to me other plushes come under that heading too) and ponies. All ponies are ponies, regardless of brushable hair or size. Also, I pretty much group my action figures under the doll heading. After all, they're humanoid :shrug:. Thanks to Monster High and DC Superhero Girls, I now associate dolls with cool monsters and superheroes rather than Barbies and babies :lol:. When I was little I would have said I wasn't into dolls (except a couple that had belonged to my mum) but now, as far as I'm concerned, dolls = Monster High = yes please.

If I was explaining my toy collection to a non-collector I'd probably just say "I collect vintage toys, such as My Little Pony."

A word I had never heard before I joined the online collecting community was 'plushie'! I had seen toys called beanbags, beanies, teddies, fluffies and cuddlies, but plushies was new to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal