collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who hates people calling common ponies "rare" FOR SALES?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline iam_misshennessy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Who hates people calling common ponies "rare" FOR SALES?
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:09:46 PM »
There's a girl on a website who had about 8 ponies listed. All were common except one was sea pony Seawinkle in her shell. Which I guess can be considered not common. Definitely wouldn't say rare though. After seeing Melody listed as a "rare glitter pony" for.... get ready.... $90 PLUS $8.50 shipping... then Tex, with no hat, bandana or comb, as a "rare cactus pony" (haha, cactus pony) for $125 + $8.50 shipping, I had to say something.

I VERY politely explained I was messaging to help with sales. Said any questions, just ask. And included most of her ponies are extremely common. Then listed the average price she SHOULD be charging for each of her ponies.

I was super nice about it. Was literally trying to help. Wasn't going to buy any and even told her I wasn't interested in purchasing, just trying to help, so she didn't think it was a ploy. Also told her two different sites to price check.

No response. Forgot about it.

Two days later and it's today. What do I see?

A "rare" Twice As Fancy Milkyway (which i think we all know is most definitely NOT a rare pony) for sale... are you ready for the price? :lol:
................. $176  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sooooo sick of people lying for sales. It's gross. It makes you a crap person because you could be scamming some poor girl who's just getting started, and scam her out of every penny she's raised. All for one pony who's got a 10x inflated price. Yes, the buyer should do research, but still. I guess I just dont appreciate scamming people. Even if the buyer should be smarter. *shrug*

I honestly might flag all of her posts as scams. They say inflating prices isn't allowed. Nor is claiming an item to be of higher value due to quantity (so you cant say a commom item is rare... *clears throat*). Kinda feel rude flagging them, but I'm also sick of these a-holes screwing people over. Not cool! I sell on Mercari & ALWAYS price check. I try to do at least $1 less but if already low i will match the lowest price I see. Only time I ask more is if (A) mine is better quality, or (B) the person selling isn't a collector and is selling dirt cheap.

Anyways.... i just wanted to rant haha

How do you feel seeing people lie about a pony's value or rarity just for sales? Does it bother you? or could you care less if they're screwing people over?

I SELL VINTAGE & NEW NAME BRAND TOYS!
* Taking a break from inventory to focus on expanding my personal collection, so VERY interested in trades!
- ISO & trade link coming soon! -
SALES
Message with toy requests. 100s of brands!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who hates people calling common ponies "rare" FOR SALES?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
Wow, that Medley price is...highly questionable.  AND MilkyWay.  Yikes.  I've certainly seen some prices on ebay that are higher than what I would expect, and it doesn't usually bother me, but wow, those are WAY beyond normal value.  Unless there is something super special about them, I'm assuming they're just loose and not MIB or anything... 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »
I think it's hilarious moreso than anything else. I know the ponies won't sell at the ridiculous prices, so I don't poke the bear.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »
Yep, it annoys me too. That and when people sell lots composed of fakies, call them MLP and ask prices you'd expect for actual MLP.

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 07:58:51 PM »
Haha, I've noticed this as well. I recently started bidding on ponies on ebay and am shocked by the amount of times very common pony (or at least I thought were pretty common!) are called "rare". And some of the prices are pretty ridiculous. I think the most I've paid for a pony (so far) is $14. My goal is to only pay ten dollars and under, but if I go up to $15, that's fine as long as I don't do it to often. Yeah, I won't be buying Mimic anytime soon! I'm now looking at Sunbeam, Firefly, Sundance, and Tootsie who are all on my mantle (and all cost less than $10 each!) and couldn't be more pleased!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »
I could care less.  A little research never hurt anyone, buyers AND sellers alike.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
I just laugh and think to myself, yeah, you're not gonna sell that. I saw a Blossom up for sale a couple months ago, not sure what selling platform but it was a local sale, so maybe craigslist? and as far as I could tell was not any kind of Nirvana or rare variant, for like $125 or something ludicrous. I don't get mad or anything; I doubt any collector would fall for that without doing even a 2 minute price check on Google to see if that price is legit before parting with their hard-earned Ben Franklin and then some.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 01:37:45 AM »
*shrug* it's their merch, they can ask what they want for it. They're not gonna get it, mind, but... ;) I don't bother anyone about prices, even if it does annoy me.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 01:51:13 AM »
I see an overpriced Pony, I don't buy, simple!!! If we all do that they will learn not to charge so much...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 02:32:54 AM »
@OP - you mean Medley, right? Melody *is* a rare pony ;) Esp over there in the US.

Although here Medley is a rare pony, so yeah...but common ponies the US had that the UK didn't have always been cheaper than the reverse.

I tend to feel like if a seller is too lazy to ID their pony or do the proper research, they should be ignored.

Buyers should do their research too. Though it's hard to gauge accurate price values and I really don't like 'price guides' because everyone has different ideas of value. Some won't pay more than $5 for a pony, and that's fine. Others will pay $50 for that pony they really want. Also fine.

...My biggest bugbear is the people who go "rare my little pony, don't know it's name but maybe you do!"

...If you want my money, do the work and find out what the pony is called, at least, before throwing it on ebay and saying it's rare. If you don't know the name, you don't know if it is rare :P

But the thing is to people outside MLP, one pony is as good as another. Unless you know MLP, you don't know that it's really not that simple.

So yeah, I'd like sellers to do research and stop being greedy. But it's mostly on buyers to ignore them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 06:40:44 AM »
What really gets me is the listings that say "Lot of real  MLPs" and when you check out the ad it's one McDonald's pony and a bunch of fakies.  I think a lot of that comes from people not doing their research though and assuming any small toy horse must be a MLP.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »
I get why some people think it isn't a big deal, but what if someone is looking for a pony as a gift and don't know that it's only supposed to cost $10?  Back when I was collecting Beanie Babies (back in the 90s, when the craze was actually crazy), a new one came out that I wanted and it hadn't shown up at Hallmark yet.  Well, my dad was on a business trip and found one in a shop for $60.  He bought it for me.  I found it at Hallmark less than a week later for $5.  I never did tell him that because I didn't want him to feel dumb for paying so much for it.  I quit asking him to look for any new ones after that because I didn't want him to pay that much again.

I think if people are misrepresenting, they should be told because when people see "rare" and a high price next to it too often, they start to believe that commons like Cotton Candy are worth their weight in gold.  One of my customs got a nasty comment from someone because they thought I had "destroyed" a "rare and valuable" big brother pony that was "easily worth $125" and "now it isn't worth anything."  Um...it was a 4-Speed that some child had chopped off all the hair and drawn on with a sharpie.  I paid $5 for it specifically to customize because it wasn't in salvageable condition. The seller on eBay who accepted my $5 offer clearly understood that but there are people out there who just have no clue. 

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 07:50:42 AM »
That happened to me, too - my parents wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas so I sent them a link to an auction, which they didn’t look at until after the auction had ended. eBay did that unforgivable thing where it puts a completely different listing at the top of the screen, and my parents assumed that’s what I meant and bought a very overpriced item that I didn’t actually want. Granted, I like the item I ended up getting, but I feel bad they spent 6 times what it was worth (considering it’s worth $3). I can’t bring myself to tell them.

Speaking of which, I was just browsing eBay and found someone listing some very common, rather baity g1s for $175 per adult and $125 per baby. What is wrong with people?
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »
I get why some people think it isn't a big deal, but what if someone is looking for a pony as a gift and don't know that it's only supposed to cost $10?  Back when I was collecting Beanie Babies (back in the 90s, when the craze was actually crazy), a new one came out that I wanted and it hadn't shown up at Hallmark yet.  Well, my dad was on a business trip and found one in a shop for $60.  He bought it for me.  I found it at Hallmark less than a week later for $5.  I never did tell him that because I didn't want him to feel dumb for paying so much for it.  I quit asking him to look for any new ones after that because I didn't want him to pay that much again.

I think if people are misrepresenting, they should be told because when people see "rare" and a high price next to it too often, they start to believe that commons like Cotton Candy are worth their weight in gold.  One of my customs got a nasty comment from someone because they thought I had "destroyed" a "rare and valuable" big brother pony that was "easily worth $125" and "now it isn't worth anything."  Um...it was a 4-Speed that some child had chopped off all the hair and drawn on with a sharpie.  I paid $5 for it specifically to customize because it wasn't in salvageable condition. The seller on eBay who accepted my $5 offer clearly understood that but there are people out there who just have no clue. 

I remember the Beanie Baby craze well and how some were considered very rare and worth hundreds because they had a different kind of pellets in them or were initially hard to find because not many had reached stores. 

This also happens a lot with Barbie dolls. A lot of people that aren’t in to Barbie will list them as “rare 1966 Barbie “ because they just looked at the date marked on the back of the doll and assume that’s the date the doll was made when it’s actually the date that the body mold was made.

I don’t think anyone is saying if someone decides to buy a $200 Cotton Candy because the seller lists it as rare that the buyer deserves to be taken advantage of.

I had a similar issue with one of my customs.  My pony persona Marius is Marius from Les Miserables as a pony.  The artist that made him for me assured me that she would only use a G1 boy base that was beyond restoring.  I was really happy when he arrived as I had waited a very long time for him.  My artist posted him on Deviantart and one of the comments was they had “destroyed” a Big Brother and made it worthless. :sad:  It made me very sad and took part of the joy of having my boy away.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
I get why some people think it isn't a big deal, but what if someone is looking for a pony as a gift and don't know that it's only supposed to cost $10? 
I get around this by putting average price for the pony or a general price range when I ask. It's always tricky with secondhand stuff though. My dad has gotten pretty good at pony prices and hunting after a few years in a row of me asking for them, ha.
I think if people are misrepresenting, they should be told because when people see "rare" and a high price next to it too often, they start to believe that commons like Cotton Candy are worth their weight in gold.
The problem is people not understanding how eBay and secondhand sales in general work. It always comes back around to something like the black diamond Disney VHS, people screenshot a currently avaliable listing for a super high price but never look at the sold listings to see what's up.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal