collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Touching up eyes/drawing on new eyes *Updates with pics!!*  (Read 2431 times)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: Touching up eyes/drawing on new eyes
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 01:13:47 AM »
A similar "dot" can be achieved by dipping a pin-head into paint, I mean one of those pins with a glass or plastic bead head (although a tiny metal head could make a nice little dot).

Or find a variety of different sized small, spherical beads and jam a wooden cocktail stick through the hole to make your own tool!  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 05:49:13 AM »
The ball tools are worth every penny! And that statement comes from an experienced customizer since more than 10 years and over 500 customs. I wouldn't buy them with a wooded body but from plastic - which you can clean.

https://www.miniaturesweethk.com/collections/all-tools/products/dotting-tool-set-for-nail-art-clay-craft-small-sculpting-modeling-tool

I have these and they're just helpful in getting dots done. Not only in eyes but in symbols as well.
Or you can apply glitter on symbols where a brush would soak up the liquid from the medium you're mixing your glitter with.

Please take care - black is not always black - there might be hues towards red, blue and brownish grey, so always test on the pupil and if you're not satisfied, you can remove it with a Q-tip. Most colors appear wet lighter than dry so that's an issue too.

Liquid film i.e. from Vallejo is a very helpful product which you can apply and spread evenly best with these ball point tools too.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:22 PM »
The ball tools are worth every penny! And that statement comes from an experienced customizer since more than 10 years and over 500 customs. I wouldn't buy them with a wooded body but from plastic - which you can clean.

https://www.miniaturesweethk.com/collections/all-tools/products/dotting-tool-set-for-nail-art-clay-craft-small-sculpting-modeling-tool

I have these and they're just helpful in getting dots done. Not only in eyes but in symbols as well.
Or you can apply glitter on symbols where a brush would soak up the liquid from the medium you're mixing your glitter with.

Please take care - black is not always black - there might be hues towards red, blue and brownish grey, so always test on the pupil and if you're not satisfied, you can remove it with a Q-tip. Most colors appear wet lighter than dry so that's an issue too.

Liquid film i.e. from Vallejo is a very helpful product which you can apply and spread evenly best with these ball point tools too.

It never occurred to me that straight-up black might not be the right shade...plus I suppose I need to take age/fading into consideration. Sounds like it will be a trial-and-error process!

That ball tool set looks like it will serve nicely, and it's sure inexpensive enough. I think I'll give it a try, thank you!

Post Merge: August 28, 2020, 01:38:22 PM

A similar "dot" can be achieved by dipping a pin-head into paint, I mean one of those pins with a glass or plastic bead head (although a tiny metal head could make a nice little dot).

Or find a variety of different sized small, spherical beads and jam a wooden cocktail stick through the hole to make your own tool!  :lol:

I do have some of those plastic-headed pins. That's a good idea to jam them into a stick to make a tool!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:38:22 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
Just wanted to update with my progress on a couple of these projects, and to say thank you for all who commented with your helpful tips and product suggestions...I can't tell you how many times I pulled this post up while in the craft store to double check, and while I was in the midst of the dyeing process!

Well, I successfully dyed my baby pony, and the dye itself looks great. Had a couple glitches in the process; first off I had thought I had thoroughly cleaned this pony and sunfaded it for months to a bright white first, but when I put her in the boiling dye water some brownish ooze started leeching out of her! I kept removing her and scrubbing her off with dish soap every time I saw it. I don't know the origins of the pony; she was just in an Ebay bait lot, so for all I know she was in a room full of chain smokers for the past 30 years perhaps. It worked out okay, but it was an unexpected hiccup. Also, I decided to go against all advice and try and keep her mane intact, figuring I didn't have anything to lose if it got ruined. I had thought maybe the pale blue dye wouldn't be strong enough to affect her wisteria purple hair, but as you can see from the pic it did dye it blue. I put her tail back in, and my mom thought she actually looked kind of cool like that, like an hombre look almost, but it wasn't what I was going for. I might just keep her this way (make her a custom pony) and start over with another baity baby I have laying around (ugh...the lengthy process of sunfading, though!), I haven't decided yet.

And then there's my BBE-to-NBBE baby...she came to me in a bait lot with rusty eyes and a mohawk, and was super gross inside. I cleaned her up and fixed her eyes using air-dry Sculpey. Not sure I like how dark the black came out, or how bright the white, but for a first try I could have done worse. I might change her eye color; it looks a little more extraterrestrial than what I was going for, and the eye placement seems not quite right to me, or the eyes maybe are too big, but I tried to copy the size/design of the eyes of a standard-eyed baby, and maybe it is too much for the slightly smaller head size of a BBE baby. I still have to put a sealant on them.

Some before and afters of how nasty the BBE pony was; I'll try to put it in the spoiler to avoid making this post any longer than it needs to be!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Touching up eyes/drawing on new eyes *Updates with pics!!*
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
The dye-job came out great!!! Yep Wysteria is a light shade & Pony hair dyes more quickly than the Pony body, but overall you did very well with your dyeing.

Re the eyes: they look amazing!!! You did such a fantastic job on them
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 02:41:34 PM »
They both came out beautifully! I love the colours on the dyed baby, and you did an excellent job on the de-BBE eyes. The BBE mould / head shape itself is tricky, I think it will always look a little wonky, no matter what. At least her eyes are so much prettier now!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
Thank you both...now to choose some hair colors for the green baby!

Learned a few things from doing these, and hope to get better and better with future attempts!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
They both look really good  :biggrin:  The dye job looks so perfect, like the plastic was originally that color!  Yes, def update us when you rehair the green baby.  These progress threads are so fun to follow.

(the interior of the green baby!  horrible!  she's lucky she got to be cleaned and transformed  :cool:)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »
Thanks Sunpony! I was shocked myself that the dye job came out so even. Hopefully it ages well; I've heard that dyed ponies can discolor unevenly over time, but for now she looks good.

Yes, the green baby was a challenge to get clean, especially the very bottom insides of her hind legs, but thanks to some Goo Gone brand rust remover and a lot of experimenting with different household objects that were long and thin enough to reach down in there, I think I got all the grime out. I'm happy to give her a second chance at life!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal