collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mildew-y ponies vs scrubbing bubbles?  (Read 637 times)

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Mildew-y ponies vs scrubbing bubbles?
« on: August 15, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Hello all,

A few years ago I got a lot of ponies of Craigslist that seemed to have spent the past 25 or so years in a box in a leaky Pacific Northwest attic. They definitely smell of mildew, and a lot of them have marks like this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My boyfriend suggested that Scrubbing Bubbles was safe for use on vinyl and very effective at removing mildew. When I read the label it said that it wasn%u2019t a good idea to use it on painted surfaces. I think I can keep it away from the paint but I%u2019m wondering if it will affect the pony%u2019s dye/color long term. I%u2019ve seen those other products that get into the plastic and degrade the pigment used to color the pony over time.

In any case, how have you cleaned up ponies that look like this? A lot of them are doubles for me and I%u2019d be quite happy to get them looking presentable and traded or sold to living pony homes. Thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:11:53 PM by Purpleglasses »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Mildew-y ponies vs scrubbing bubbles?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:52:17 AM »
I would suggest Oxiclean first, at least on ponies that aren't So Soft or have Twinkle Eyes. I can't say I've used SB personally, nor have I seen mention of it elsewhere. I'm more familiar with it as a brand, which product in particular do you have?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
Oh lord, poor CJ.

If it was me I'd just remove her tail and dip her body in bleach, and use something else for the head (oxiclean? ) since bleach destroys the hair.

I had an AJ who had bad mold and it came right off in a bleach dip. You don't have to leave them long at all either, which is the best part. The mold dies and washes right off.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 07:54:55 PM »
Bleach dip sounds great, thank you! Do you water it down? What proportions do you use?

I’m still open to other suggestions too. I have ponies in worse shape I can test Scrubbing Bubbles on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal