collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will there be a Aug Covid post?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Will there be a Aug Covid post?
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
I didn't know if I should put this with the July Covid thread or what, but today a coworker told me her seven year old son is going into quarantine because he was with a classmate four days ago who's covid test came back positive today.  We work at a veterinary office.  We wear masks around clients but haven't been around just us coworkers.  She also doesn't believe in wearing masks, it infringes on her rights, etc.  One of our doctors told her she didn't have to wear one.  She asked me if I wanted her to.  I said well, they say on the news the masks don't help stop you from getting it, but help slow spreading from an infected person.  If your son becomes infected and you get exposed, it helps protect your coworkers. 
I'm just really stressing out.  I feel like covid is encircling me, getting closer and closer.  I'm in a rural area between two big cities, and its just been spreading, sending its tendrils out and ever closer, squeezing me in, trapped.  My mom works at a school.  They don't open until next week, but already the band and football team have been quarantined.
I'm not in good health.  I really worry what would happen if I get it.   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a Aug Covid post?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
That really sucks. This whole situation is such a stressor.

Offline DrEsmeRose

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Tender Quill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
I have been working on responding to the pandemic since it began. With schools starting back up in the US, I have been taking calls non-stop from superintendents and school nurses with billions of questions. I do miss having free time, but we are purchasing a house, so all of the OT has been quite nice.
Wanted: All the ponies!
Mostly Piggies :P

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
My husband got the phone call re: the temporary layoff from his workplace... or should I say, former workplace now :(  yeah you can guess how that conversation went. 

thank goodness he can still apply for the Employment Insurance benefits from the Gov., but that has a short length of time.  and nobody wants to be looking for a job right now, least of all when your household is high-risk! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
My school still has not announced that it is going online. Classes begin next Monday.
I have an all-online semester so I feel safe in that regard. I am following the college's subreddit (I know, very advanced and in the know), and from the sound of things, there are still plenty of parties. Plenty of visitations. I mean, you put hundreds of kids fresh out of highschool into a space with other kids fresh out of highschool, and you don't expect these kids to want to celebrate freedom from their parents? I and many other people think it was foolish of the school to expect for anything else to come out of this. Move-in is the rest of the week, which does not bode well for keeping the campus open beyond September.
A North Carolina college shut down after just a week of classes because of the rise in cases. I expect us to follow suit. Plenty of schools around us are already online.
They are testing students...but these tests take 3 days to get results for. And they are only testing students as they move in. So that's three days for these students to muck around campus and swap germs with everyone else, and then we get to find out who's infected and who's not. They are *not* testing commuters as far as I see, despite there being a large portion of commuters and off-campus residents.
It was not worth it to me to take a gap semester as I function alright online and prefer saving gas/time commuting, but I feel bad for those who live on campus and were unable to take a gap.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
@Gator - that sucks :( I've been following stuff on CNN and GA comes up quite a lot on there with this whole crisis. Hoping your colleague manages to be considerate for you and the rest of the staff.

I think maybe the fact COVID news has taken a backseat to the stupid around the A level grades indicates it's not so much on people's minds here now. But there have been some major lockdown breaches even in areas that are on watch.

So the UK has this local lockdown system at the moment where areas are in mostly full unlock, as of the 15th I think it's only nightclubs etc that are not allowed to open, as bowling alleys and ice rinks etc now can. Also theatres, all with distancing etc.

So most of the country are "pseudo-normal" which feels like the lull before the storm. Bars NEED TO BE CLOSED if they are not following the rules, and people having house parties need to be dealt with.

Right now there are a few regions in lockdown. I think Leicester's just ended. Most of the regions are in the NW and West Yorkshire. There are a couple being watched over, including one or two in the midlands. There's some concern over cases in Birmingham (2nd city) but it hasn't been closed down as yet.

My concern is the stupid and selfish covidiots who raced back to avoid having to quarantine for 2 weeks. Because the only difference between arriving before the quarantine set in and after is that the first group are more likely to kill someone else by accident. There's no difference in the risk whether you got back to the UK at 3.50am or 4.10am. Just in your level of selfishness towards everyone else...

So the impact of that isn't clear yet. Having spent 4 months shielding I don't have sympathy for people whining about not getting a holiday abroad, esp. if they don't care who they make sick to do it.

Otherwise our cases are up a bit but not like on the mainland yet. We also have more testing going on now than most of our neighbouring countries per capita, which is so much better than what it was like in April and May. But I feel like when schools open...will be a big test.

As for universities...they have a lot of work to do. I feel for the students messed up by the algorithm, but really universities should not have been accepting students on faulty grades when they knew there were likely to be a huge number of appeals. Now they have to fix it and do social distancing with the possibility of extra intake as the caps have been removed thanks to the screw up.

For anyone not familiar with what happened with grades here, this summarises nicely
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53826305.

In my local area, no new cases in the last 24 hours. In the neighbouring one, 1 recorded. No deaths here since July. But Birmingham and the Black Country are not far away. Luckily our council is working out it's own tracing system, and is taking care of its residents by keeping them informed.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 05:49:42 AM »
My neighbor that lives a couple of blocks away has been gone for a over a month.  My family brings in her mail and checks her house while she is away.  She was supposed to come back on August 27th.  That day came and went and she didn't return.  Last week my mom called the neighbor's daughter (neighbor's phone broke while she was away)  and we got a return call from the neighbor that was borderline strange.  She didn't sound like herself and basically said "I'm with my daughter."

Yesterday her daughter called my phone but didn't leave a voicemail. Later her daughter texted and said that her mother got Covid while she was visiting her and has had to make 4 trips to the ER.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:51:35 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:52 AM »
Numbers are going up again here.
National ban on gatherings over 6 people comes back into force from Monday.

They've been reporting some issues with the testing system here - we're testing a lot of people but there are some issues with people getting sent to testing sites miles from home.

...Apparently this led to people from all over the country descending on the testing centre in our region.

Which is just what we don't want. Sigh.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:19:13 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
My province and city have gone into full ostrich mode, now that things are starting to open again and kids are doing in-person learning. 

I struggle with this transition in thinking.  First we shut everything down and worried?  But now it's all gates open, mingle and try not to ooze on others?  The health authorities decided that they would NOT suggest a student's entire household self-isolate if a positive test was done on the student.  Meanwhile if this had happened in any other transmission setting, it was 'your kid's entire daycare/school and all caregivers and parents and medical staff have been exposed and you all have to quarantine'.  unless I have suddenly had a chunk of my brain fall out of my head, i seem to recall that only last month, it was "support those who have to self isolate, and do not judge them" because  people often live with large family households who are all coming and going throughout places where they contact other people.  but now if my kid's classmate is dripping all over their desk, I would expect I would have to notify my work until I could get a NEGATIVE result, post 14-day exposure.  but science seems to have been thrown out the window.  :(  Bleh.  Online learning it is.

Of course I am soooooo craving to go to the thrift store, especially since my workplace is located where there are a cluster of them.  AUUUUUUUGH but that part of town has had a recent spike in cases, so I don't even stop for gas there right now.  I go to my car masked up and straight into my office and touch nothing public in between.  so stressful!

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
I struggle with this transition in thinking.  First we shut everything down and worried?  But now it's all gates open, mingle and try not to ooze on others? 
The quarantine is over because everyone got bored, didn't you hear? :P
Labor Day is over now, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear about restaurants closing down again, although I admit I've been so burnt out on checking case numbers I'm not sure where we sit currently.
I went to a farmers/flea market in Pennsyltucky and was happy to see how many people were wearing masks, I think people are now realizing it's important (or that it's just easier to wear one than it is to fight).
I heard New Jersey is trying to push for Trick-or-Treating this year. Halloween does land on a Saturday...we don't have many kids in this neighborhood so I doubt we'll see anything monumental either way.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
I've known three people who got sick. One was able to get over it without going to the hospital, he's fine now. One had to be hospitalized and he has lingering weakness and breathing issues. Another died. She was in her late 40s and wasn't sick for very long, maybe a week. I didn't know her well enough to know if she had underlying issues or not.

I went grocery shopping the other day and saw a man with a mesh mask. Of course, it was an American flag mask :rolleyes:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
We don't officially know anyone who has had COVID, but that's because of how bad testing was here in the early days. My sister's boyfriend's parents both had what was probably it, they're both fine now. My sister...in February she had something lik glandular fever but they refused to test her for anything, even that, so..*shrug*. But she was ill on and off for some time, which is really not like her. And she still gets days where she feels tired. So we wonder a lot if she had it then. The UK timeline is a bit unclear but she said a lot of people in her office also had coughs and fevers around that time. And her other half had what they thought was flu, but may have been Covid. We will probably never know.

My mum had something in October which was eerily similar to it but we don't think it was because of the timeline. :/ And because Mum is high risk for Covid complications...

We don't have any major 'holidays' around now thank goodness. There is Guy Fawkes at the start of November but that's definitely an 'outside' thing. But Birmingham is now under stricter measures, and they're worried about Wolves. They're the two cities with closest connections to here (work, etc)...so we're just watching to see what happens.

Mum has to go to the Dentist this next week. I'm a bit worried about that, since covid aside, she has form when it comes to getting pneumonia after a trip there (because of the water drill).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:57 AM »
It's so weird watching the world's reaction to covid while living in Sweden (I'm originally from the US, but moved to Sweden 7 years ago). Sweden responded completely different than the rest of the world.

- Schools were never closed (except for high schools and colleges back when this started, but all of them are open again now). All the younger kids still went to school as normal.
- We are encouraged NOT to wear masks here because they "give a false sense of security", so people are less careful with social distancing and such. Not to mention most people wear them incorrectly and constantly touch their face to adjust their mask, which contaminates you anyway.
- Those who can work from home are encouraged to do so, but schools are open as usual. (And those of us with jobs we can't do from home must still go to work as usual. So basically, nothing has changed for me at all whatsoever during this entire pandemic.)
- Anyone with ANY symptoms of covid are told to stay home and off of public transportation, but they are just trusting that everyone will be responsible and do this on their own. I have to commute a total of 3 hours per day on public transportation to get to and from work and while it does seem that MOST sick people are staying off as they should, there are still people here and there coughing on trains and buses and it makes me soooo mad! Also, I really dislike having to ride public transportation with all these children everywhere going to and from school! They pack the buses and there is no way to get away from them. >.< I live very far out in the country where there are very few buses, so I cannot just simply "wait for the next bus" if it is too crowded (which is what they tell us to do here). It can be hours until the next bus.

I feel like some places over-reacted and Sweden kind of under-reacted. I have issues with both plans of attack, though. No one knows what the best tactic is or who will be "right" in the end, but it's just crazy seeing how differently everyone is reacting outside of Sweden.

For example:

I had to cover for a co-worker of mine this past week who was sick with a sore throat, cough, and nausea. Those are all covid symptoms, so when she said she felt good enough to return to work on Friday even though she still had a slight cough, I asked my boss if she should be tested for covid first since she had some of the symptoms. I was told that they only test severe cases now and since she didn't have a fever, it is just a regular cold. Hmm...yeah. Ok? I'm pretty sure this is not how this situation would be handled back in the US... Also, no the coworker was not wearing a mask on Friday. Like I said above, it is seen as "odd" to wear a mask over here. So anyway, if she does/did have covid...I have been exposed and so have all of our/her clients now. How is this ok?   :shrug:

Sorry for rambling. I doubt anyone will read all that anyway, and I sure hope my boss doesn't!  :blush:  ^^;
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:20:48 AM by Teddy »

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal