collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 reboot and favoritism from Hasbro? Good or bad?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
G1 reboot and favoritism from Hasbro? Good or bad?
« on: August 13, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
I’ve been wondering- we have been seeing a A LOT  of series from the 80’s and 90’s getting reboots (She-ra, Rocki’s Modern Life, TMNT Rise, Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead, Rugrats, Animaniacs, Frasier, Sister Sister, Alf...and so much more) now I know MY LITTLE Pony has been getting reboots with new casts of characters with every generation, but in the mists of this reboot Renaissance, can you guys see Hasbro trying to turn back the clock and having gen 5 be a reintroduction and retelling of gen 1, with many others the original characters that the collectors grew up with?

Also, how would you guys feel if Hasbro started treating g1 like the Pokémon Company does with with g1 Kanto favoritism? (Always giving g1 priorit, references, and reboots In every generation?)
formerly nightmare muffin

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 reboot and favoritism from Hasbro? Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
I just want new stuff. In general, not just MLP. I'm sick of reboots.

A bit of nostalgia here and there is nice... but good god I hope they never get G1 nostalgia to Kanto Pokemon levels!

I don't see it happening. Sadly I think we'll be stuck with the G4 main six for the foreseeable future...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »
Like an updated G1? I would hope it has better quality animation and would have no humans. I could be down for that.

A bit of nostalgia here and there is nice... but good god I hope they never get G1 nostalgia to Kanto Pokemon levels!

I don't see it happening. Sadly I think we'll be stuck with the G4 main six for the foreseeable future...

As much as I love FiM and mane 6 I really need new characters. When they keep redoing the same characters it just starts to degrade them.

Offline fuzzysherbet

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
While the last thing I want is for mlp's g1 to become pushed to the same levels that pokemon's g1 is, I honestly don't think I could see myself complaining about anything that would bring back decent quality toys with more ponies than just the mane 6 and maybe a side character here and there, with maybe a toy exclusive if we're lucky...

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:04:09 PM »
I agree with being sick of reboots. There are many shows i've loved that didn't last long enough but I haven't really been happy with any of the reboots. Veronica Mars :(

Also are they really rebooting Frasier. I love the show but wasn't 11 seasons enough? Plus John Mahony passed away a few years ago. His character really balanced Frasier and Niles snobbery. I don't know if i'll be very excited for that. I'll just stick with rewatching the originals.

Maybe the cartoon reboots would be more interesting for people who grew up in the 80s and 90s to show to their kids. Do kids watch TV anymore? I feel old and out of touch now.

For MLP i'm not really into the rebooted G1. I have the Stranger Things Applejack because I like the show but i'm not planning to get the others. I guess it could introduce G1 to a younger audience?

I would rather see something creative and new. A real generation 5. These reboots are just too much for me.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
In general, I don't mind reboots. I like that it can introduce a new generation of people to something old, or it's nice to visit something familiar in a fresh way.

but I'm not sure why the original G1 movie and/or tv show needs to be redone. I fear somehow G5 is going to be a rehash of G4. (meh). I would rather see new characters, and a new storyline.

Besides, I couldn't imagine the amount of complaining that it wasn't done the right way...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »
I usually don’t like reboots.  I love the original Ducktales and tried watching the new version, but it didn’t appeal to me. The only reboots that I really enjoy are the new versions of Fruits Basket and Sailor Moon Crystal/Eternal.

I’d rather G1 stay as it is and not become a reboot.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:51:01 PM »
no more reboots!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 10:07:34 PM »

that’s a fair opinion, I think. I k ow it’s easier for companies to go back and reboot or remake their old IP (looking at you, Disney) than it is to make something new. And I am all for being creative and pitching new series (or generations) with new characters.
Though I am a bit surprised to see a strong “no” for the generation most here grew up with being given the “Kanto” treatment. Quite surprised, indeed.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 10:25:54 PM »
I seriously hate how they do this with pokemon. I personally want new stuff.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 12:22:22 AM »
You sound like someone who's heard about the unbeatable champion Leon's unbeatable Charizard!  :P

(In all seriousness, I don't think the favoritism in Pokemon is that bad.  Like I feel it's totally justified to have more cameos for Misty and Brock versus . . . that stupid "Science is amazing!" blond kid (Cyrus? Cylas?) who travelled with Ash, because more people DO remember and care about Misty and Brock than Blond Science Kid.)

So my feeling on G1 MLP is I love the retro toys coming out and I enjoy seeing appearances here and there of the ponies in toy form or in story elements.  For example, Cha Cha the Llama being in the recent blind bag assortment--I think that's funny and great.  Or Grogar being rebooted as a G4 villain.

But I wouldn't want a FULL reboot of MLP & Friends or MLP Tales.  I didn't like the world of MLP Tales and I didn't connect with most of the characters from MLP & Friends.

It's worth noting that G4 actually drew from G3 a lot more than G1.  Not that I'm mad about it or anything, I didn't feel like it detracted from the show.  I guess that's my main requirement when it comes to referencing past gens:  just don't make it awkward or intrusive.  Anyway, I'm happy that Skywishes finally got a toy that's a pegasus instead of an earth pony.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 12:34:53 AM »
I'm with everyone who says that G5 should be new.

I would love to see a wide range of well made toy characters and in that sense it can emulate G1, but the thing you have to understand is that those of us who grew up with G1 have had a really long time to get used to the idea that G1 has ended. And we've watched all the other generations come and go, but it hasn't replaced our love for G1. I feel like with some exceptions most people don't need a G1 reboot to reignite their love of the original generation. It's a different kind of mindset IMO from the fans of more recent iterations of things, who are used to being able to buy things in stores and watch new episodes regularly. I think it's much harder for those people to get to grips with the end of something precious to them.

It's not just a MLP thing. I remember that there were a lot of people unhappy about the end of MH, but also uneasy about the reboot that didn't really work for it.

Jem, on the other hand, existed for about 3 years total. And yet it's still very much there in people's minds. There's a lot more stuff out there for Jem than MLP when it comes to the TV series as well. I mention Jem because Jem had the movie reboot and honestly, it was a complete disaster for Hasbro. I can't comment on the film objectively as it never aired in UK cinemas...and while I do have it recorded on my digital box, I haven't been brave enough to watch it yet. Jem for me is the ultimate example of trying to take something awesome from the past and rehash it into the present.

So why would we need that for G1 MLP? In a sense, I feel like FIM is as close to doing that as Hasbro will ever get, because it involves concepts from G1 like smooze and references like Gusty and ponies like AJ and so on and so forth. But it isn't G1, and it isn't remotely like G1. But people keep trying to say it is, because Lauren grew up with G1 and that's kind of a problem for me.

I love the retro release from BF but I'm not interested in a rebooted G1 and I never have been. If G1 had continued in the middle 1990s, great. Even if they'd come back in 1997-8 instead of G2, that would have worked because there were no other generations or versions of MLP to conflict with. But this is 2020, and G1 ended for good 25 years ago.

Frankly I think it should be left alone and G5 should be something entirely new.

(By which I mean also laying to rest the M6 and every concept from G4, instead of piggybacking it which seems more likely.)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 03:14:13 AM »
No thanks :scared: :X
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »

Jem, on the other hand, existed for about 3 years total. And yet it's still very much there in people's minds. There's a lot more stuff out there for Jem than MLP when it comes to the TV series as well. I mention Jem because Jem had the movie reboot and honestly, it was a complete disaster for Hasbro. I can't comment on the film objectively as it never aired in UK cinemas...and while I do have it recorded on my digital box, I haven't been brave enough to watch it yet. Jem for me is the ultimate example of trying to take something awesome from the past and rehash it into the present.

I love the original Jem (I just finished rewatching the series recently  :D).   I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes of the Jem movie.  I've always felt that the producers just used Jem character names to try to make people think it's a Jem movie when they could have used any other names for the characters and had the same movie and not have it try to tie in to Jem.   

It also bothers me that in the few parts I've seen the movie turned Jerrica in to a 15 year old and Rio in to some kind of chaperone that has to go find the girls when they do reckless things.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 07:15:44 AM »
(In all seriousness, I don't think the favoritism in Pokemon is that bad.  Like I feel it's totally justified to have more cameos for Misty and Brock versus . . . that stupid "Science is amazing!" blond kid (Cyrus? Cylas?) who travelled with Ash, because more people DO remember and care about Misty and Brock than Blond Science Kid.)

idk about the anime, but the games really got on my nerves with all the Kanto pandering. i.e. only gen 1 Pokemon got Alola forms, gen 1 kept getting shout-outs, most of the Galar forms were gen 1 only (although to be fair they DID throw in some other Pokemon there)... etc etc... I'm probably starting to veer a bit too far off topic there, lol. I just wish they'd show some of the other gens some love for once.

The only reboots that I really enjoy are the new versions of Fruits Basket and Sailor Moon Crystal/Eternal.

see, I think that's a good point, cause Fruits Basket's reboot actually brings something new to the table, right? The original didn't adapt the whole manga and changed some key plot points, and the reboot's more true to the manga (from what I've gathered, still haven't gotten round to watching it!).

It makes sense to reboot that, cause there's a lot that hasn't been adapted yet. But reboots of original media (I mean stuff that isn't an adaptation of anything), trying to draw the crowd in through nostalgia rather than something *new*... That's what I'm tired of.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal