collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Big Top & Toppy

Have Big Top
14 (26.4%)
Want Big Top
7 (13.2%)
Have Toppy
12 (22.6%)
Want Toppy
8 (15.1%)
New to me
3 (5.7%)
Army
1 (1.9%)
Thinking a bit more
8 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: August 11, 2020, 06:20:26 AM

Author Topic: POTD 8/6/2020 Big Top & Toppy  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 8/6/2020 Big Top & Toppy
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 02:38:02 AM »
My childhood pair were Fleecy & Fluffy (their UK names & I changed Fleecy's name to Flocky like the German name of Flocki). I was bought them as a Christmas present & I was ill with a bad cold that day so they were my companions when i was unwell. And no way am I going to ruin that joyful memory with a name like Bunkie??????? :blink: :shocked: :huh:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 03:55:11 AM »
My childhood pair were Fleecy & Fluffy (their UK names & I changed Fleecy's name to Flocky like the German name of Flocki). I was bought them as a Christmas present & I was ill with a bad cold that day so they were my companions when i was unwell. And no way am I going to ruin that joyful memory with a name like Bunkie??????? :blink: :shocked: :huh:

UK names > US names in most cases where there are differences.
Some of the European names are super cute too though <3
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 05:37:17 AM »

UK names > US names in most cases where there are differences.
Some of the European names are super cute too though <3

Yes, I'm convinced that the crew that was tasked with naming that second wave of newborn twins in the US sat around late after their holiday Christmas party, drinks in hand as they slurred that names like Jebber, Sticky, Bunky and Toppy were good names for ponies. I like UK names much better.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 07:56:28 AM »
When I think about the newborn us names I think about that this was for kids and some people don't take names super seriously for toys. Example I don't think bunkie is gonna change to a super great name. Hasbro had some great names for ponies and some rather unerving ones .I do like Uk names for ponies as well. This was just my own opinion.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 09:38:42 AM »
In the interests of fairness, we did have "Tuggles" and "Toddles" though. Imagine when they grow up and submit their resume for a job interview. How embarrassing would that be...

But better than 'Sticky and Sniffles'.

We didn't have most of the twinsets though. We only had 5 in total (2 in 87 and 3 in 88) and only the 3 sets from 88 changed. And sadly Big Top & Toppy were not among the ones released here. SO the names will have to stay.

...I think I have an insert from somewhere in Europe with them on though. Off to see if they had a better name on the continent...

Yep, in Germany "Tip & Top"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:40:36 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 12:33:24 PM »
In the interests of fairness, we did have "Tuggles" and "Toddles" though. Imagine when they grow up and submit their resume for a job interview. How embarrassing would that be...

But better than 'Sticky and Sniffles'.

We didn't have most of the twinsets though. We only had 5 in total (2 in 87 and 3 in 88) and only the 3 sets from 88 changed. And sadly Big Top & Toppy were not among the ones released here. SO the names will have to stay.

...I think I have an insert from somewhere in Europe with them on though. Off to see if they had a better name on the continent...

Yep, in Germany "Tip & Top"

Tip and Top...funny story, I remember when I was little I wrote to Hasbro with a bunch of pony drawings of ponies I had made up, the most memorable of which was a set of twins called Tipsy and Topsy. I think I was trying to go for the phrase 'Topsy-turvy', but I didn't get it right. Someone actually wrote back, returning my drawings and explaining that they weren't allowed to use my ideas because of copyright laws. My mom then looked at it, and was horrified...she explained what tipsy meant and said it probably gave everyone in the staff room a good laugh. Maybe they couldn't use those names for both obvious and copyright reasons, but perhaps some jokester thought that Tip and Top weren't off limits, and gave them those names as an inside joke. (Don't worry...I don't really think that my dumb letter I sent as an 8-year-old had any impact on any ponies' names, but it's fun to speculate! I wish I still had that letter, it would be fun to read it again after all these years.)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 06:24:28 AM »
They're very cute, but I wouldn't actively seek them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal