collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46988 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2021, 10:24:24 PM »
Busy sewing more costumes. Made one for the latest Custom, a Teeny-sized one, & now working on some for Baby Boys, including a shark costume!!!

ETA: shark costume done
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:00:47 AM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »
I'm real excited to see whatever you come up with for both.  I love seeing your customs, and it has been awhile since you did one, yeah?  And doing a memorial custom is so meaningful.  :lovey: I feel anticipation building.  :)

Aww, thank you! That means a lot. :heart:

Yeah, it's been a while since I actually finished one. I have a few WIP, one going on three years now - and he's almost done! The hard part is over but I'm just slacking on painting him.

The memorial custom is halted right now as I attempt to sculpt water. And the Halloween custom is going to be late :P

Re G5 - Boiling water would help, sure. I haven't sat down to examine mine very closely yet.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2021, 10:20:20 AM »
i found these for something completely non-pony related but wondered if anyone had ever used them for customizing they're called U-Mark a10 xylene free paint markers  they're meant to be used on plastic and vinyl models  and thought it'd be a neat supply for pony customizers
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »
I'm real excited to see whatever you come up with for both.  I love seeing your customs, and it has been awhile since you did one, yeah?  And doing a memorial custom is so meaningful.  :lovey: I feel anticipation building.  :)

Yeah, it's been a while since I actually finished one. I have a few WIP, one going on three years now - and he's almost done! The hard part is over but I'm just slacking on painting him.

The memorial custom is halted right now as I attempt to sculpt water. And the Halloween custom is going to be late :P

Re G5 - Boiling water would help, sure. I haven't sat down to examine mine very closely yet.

The boiling water did help!  I was a little sloppy but now that I understand the angle needed I feel more confident.

i found these for something completely non-pony related but wondered if anyone had ever used them for customizing they're called U-Mark a10 xylene free paint markers  they're meant to be used on plastic and vinyl models  and thought it'd be a neat supply for pony customizers

I haven't heard of those but they sound interesting.  I wonder how smooth the color goes on.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2021, 02:12:43 AM »
I'm a little wary of markers but those do sound interesting enough that I'm going to have to look them up and see what there made of as well as actual reviews for them.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »

The boiling water did help!  I was a little sloppy but now that I understand the angle needed I feel more confident.

I haven't heard of those but they sound interesting.  I wonder how smooth the color goes on.

i used a primer base on this mask https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/854092099481108530/904022179212062770/20211030_090104.jpg and the markers went on rather smooth for me.
art page

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2021, 06:06:36 PM »

i used a primer base on this mask https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/854092099481108530/904022179212062770/20211030_090104.jpg and the markers went on rather smooth for me.

Oh that does look pretty smooth!  (p.s. love the ears!)  Where did you buy the markers?  A store, or online somewhere?

Despite "not having any time" I somehow managed to start a new custom.  It is one I really wanted to do...I'm at the eye-painting stage which is so fiddly.  I must be patient, but I also can't wait to finish and share her here!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2021, 02:08:54 AM »
Sorting through my fabric over the last couple of days & found a mustard colour felt which will make an awesome tiger costume paired with the black...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2021, 06:39:58 AM »
I am working on customs again :) Actually doing stuff, not just talking about it :P

I had to halt my memorial custom because I need sand. I used to have craft sand but I'm not sure if I do anymore. I can buy some for Amazon for like 6 bucks, so it's not too bad. I could also just go to the beach... but then I'd have to wash and bake it and buying it is easier :P

Have a bunch of customs lined up, crossing fingers I keep working and get them done. I have one idea I'm really excited about. I've never seen a custom like it before, so maybe I can grab the niche for it and "be known" for something :D

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline kestral_kitsune

• "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »

Oh that does look pretty smooth!  (p.s. love the ears!)  Where did you buy the markers?  A store, or online somewhere?

Despite "not having any time" I somehow managed to start a new custom.  It is one I really wanted to do...I'm at the eye-painting stage which is so fiddly.  I must be patient, but I also can't wait to finish and share her here!
i got them at hobby lobby but you can also find them at  umarkers.com
art page

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
I needed a sort of unique hair blend and checked my stash. I had some hair picked out to blend but then I looked in my G3 tails bag and lo - I found a perfect blended tail. This custom has a very short hairdo so it worked out great. I didn't have to open the other hair at all :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline puuush

• MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2021, 03:59:47 AM »
Heeelloooo. I'm back on doing some customs and will also put up a few for sale soon. :cheer:

I had some setbacks with paints being overly sticky and now I had that happening again to a very soft G1 Collector's Pose one. I think I will strip the paint off entirely and try RIT dye instead. Then I just need an idea for a symbol that won't get sticky...

Also I'm nearly finished (after years of neglect) with my :muffin: Pony Hooves Peacock pony... Just some blush needed then she is ready to go. YAY.

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2021, 04:43:53 AM »
Yay puushie :tackleglomp: Can't wait to see what you've been working on :D

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2021, 06:25:23 AM »
Has anyone put apoxie sculpt in the oven to cure it faster? I'm going to try it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2021, 10:13:17 AM »
Has anyone put apoxie sculpt in the oven to cure it faster? I'm going to try it.

I wouldn't do that, especially if it's an oven you use for food (not sure if it will release toxic fumes?!)... and I'm not sure if it will help the clay cure any faster.

Not sure if this comes too late, but I believe you don't need to stick to an exact 50/50 ratio when mixing Apoxie. Adding a bit more of the stiffer component will make the clay cure faster. Vice versa and it will be softer - I do this especially when my clay has already seen it's best days, haha. Of course you can't go too far or the clay might not cure properly, or it may end up brittle when cured.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal