collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 47067 times)

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
Oh yeah, mod podge could very well give the look I'm going for!  Thanks for the idea!  It's thicker than the sealant I use, so it would give more dimension I think.  I wonder how compatible it would be with a layer of the polyurethane over top.  Maybe I'll practice on something else before I do the pony.
Mod Podge would work if you let the coats really REALLY dry inbetween. Else it might get milky.
I used Triple Thick Gloss before to glaze eyes and cutie marks that needed a bit 3D touch. Maybe that's something, too. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »
Oh yeah, mod podge could very well give the look I'm going for!  Thanks for the idea!  It's thicker than the sealant I use, so it would give more dimension I think.  I wonder how compatible it would be with a layer of the polyurethane over top.  Maybe I'll practice on something else before I do the pony.
Mod Podge would work if you let the coats really REALLY dry inbetween. Else it might get milky.
I used Triple Thick Gloss before to glaze eyes and cutie marks that needed a bit 3D touch. Maybe that's something, too. :)

I've been testing it on my "trial pony" that I keep around to test things on...it seems to be working okay but visible brushstrokes are an issue so far, so I need to keep experimenting.  Yes, drying with all those layers is something I am concerned about re: mod podge.  I'm glad it is cold out so with the furnace running its quite dry in my house... 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline The-Extravagant-Pony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »

I've been testing it on my "trial pony" that I keep around to test things on...it seems to be working okay but visible brushstrokes are an issue so far, so I need to keep experimenting.  Yes, drying with all those layers is something I am concerned about re: mod podge.  I'm glad it is cold out so with the furnace running its quite dry in my house...

I’m glad that I’m not the only one that has a “trial pony” . Lol! :lol:

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »
I had a Sunnydaze as my trial pony for a long time. She went through so much!

I've been thinking of doing a simple winter themed custom before I get back to the big wing guy. In fact, just now I had an idea for a symbol...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:36:35 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
I have a couple fakies for trial ponies.  I wonder if a pony would dry faster parked next to a dehumidifier?
:socks:   :frog:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:09 AM »
Just finished painting my custom yellow ponies (Milkweed, Tumbleweed, Bouncy, and Baby Tex) plush I completed the painting around the eyes of my custom Stargaze and Locket (Whizzer pose).

After dinner got to prime before painting custom Scribbles (Flutter Pony Rosedust bait), Princess Royal Blue (to match Baby Princess Royal Blue), Medley (Surprise pose), a very regrind Lilly (for Hollywood), Powder (Glory Pose), and ponies that need to be orange.

Need to get more acrylic paint for the ponies that need to be finished.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »
I picked up some modeling foam this weekend.  Anyone used it on their customs?  I've watched a couple of YouTube videos from some people that have used it so I have an idea of what to expect but I wondered if anyone on here has any tips for using it.

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
Snowdrift and JP are painted and sealed, onto the hair this weekend!
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2020, 12:41:57 PM »
Had to paint my Baby Lucky (Baby Quarterback) because of age spots.

Primed Non Twinkleeyed Mimic, Baby Mimic, Frosting, Baby Frosting, Powder (Alternative Glory Pose).

Sealed Locker (Whizzer Pose) with liquidtex.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
That winter themed custom I posted about on Nov 24th is finally getting started :lol: See this is why I don't sign up to swaps anymore, I just can't get motivated. It's going to have a sculpted white reindeer as a symbol and I'm going to try to paint the Aurora Borealis above it and on the NDS. I still need to look in my giant hair stash and see what I have. I know I have some super old DH like Blizzard and Starlight, which would look nice. Not sure what kinds of greens/blues I have... if I'll even use that. We'll see!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2020, 05:31:35 PM »
Ponies that need to be orange would be a great book title. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline StillandSilent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »
I'm working on a custom playset.  Can I just say how freaking cute the molds for G3 playsets are and what a waste that they colored it all the same?  The celebration castle I'm working on has the sweetest details that no one ever got to notice.  There is spiderweb with a tiny spider on it!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2020, 09:46:39 AM »
I'm working on a custom playset.  Can I just say how freaking cute the molds for G3 playsets are and what a waste that they colored it all the same?  The celebration castle I'm working on has the sweetest details that no one ever got to notice.  There is spiderweb with a tiny spider on it!

Sounds great! We don't see custom playsets too often, I'd love to see pics when you're done ^.^

After completing my Holiday swap pony I only have one WIP project left, the druid pony for my friend I mentioned earlier. I haven't made any progress on that one... *sigh* That includes prepping the bait. It's a recycled custom and thus far I've only removed the twinkle eyes and cleaned the head but the body is still partially covered in old paint. I just haven't found the motivation to continue...

There's also the 10-year project which I completed some months ago but haven't been able to share yet, the pony was too tall for my small homemade lightbox. I should take them outside for a proper photoshoot but the days fly by and the hours of daylight are so few. :( Getting out of the house, especially before it's dark, is proving pretty difficult in general...

ETA// One more thing, I got an email from Webs.com that they're shutting down the service. That's where my customs page is (see link in my signature). Any ideas for alternatives? I'm not sure if I even have any visitors to my website, and I post all my customs to Deviantart anyway. Not sure if I need a website at all? Especially now that I don't take commissions or anything. Still thinking about joining Instagram...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:50:32 AM by Griffin »

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
Griffin, give Weebly a look!
I'm trying to do some merge of the lock-and-loop and tool rehair methods but I misplaced my rehair needles. I need to try this and see how it works!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
Still need to rehair my ponies, will do that today and tomorrow! Pics will be posted when they are done! :3
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal