collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46550 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
So, with Dollyhair out of commission and Retrodolls US seemingly working on restocking or something, I have recently ordered 2 kinds of hair from TheDollPlanet, and 1 kind from Dolltress.  The three are fairly different in texture/feel/appearance.  Would anyone be interested in a thread of photos comparing these types and descriptions of how they are to work with?  If so I could take pics and describe them as best I can, with dollyhair included as well because I know lots of us still have that floating around.

I'm thrilled to finally get a good amount of hair, I had...four? ponies sitting around bald  :lol:  Time for a rehairing extravaganza  :cool:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2020, 04:17:38 AM »
So, with Dollyhair out of commission and Retrodolls US seemingly working on restocking or something, I have recently ordered 2 kinds of hair from TheDollPlanet, and 1 kind from Dolltress.  The three are fairly different in texture/feel/appearance.  Would anyone be interested in a thread of photos comparing these types and descriptions of how they are to work with?  If so I could take pics and describe them as best I can, with dollyhair included as well because I know lots of us still have that floating around.

Yes please! :frolic:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »

I'm thrilled to finally get a good amount of hair, I had...four? ponies sitting around bald  :lol:  Time for a rehairing extravaganza  :cool:

I would be interested...I'm looking to place a hair order soon (I too have several bald customs laying around just waiting on hair), and I'm weighing my options. Dolltress looks promising, but a comparison between different ones would be helpful. Most of my customs are restores, and I'm trying to find something as accurate as possible to the original hair.

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Okay I'll go for it and try to get it posted this weekend.  The three kinds are all notably different!  Most of the colors I got I was trying to match to Hasbro colors, so where possible I'll compare to original pony hair. 

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2020, 12:18:53 AM »
Oh! I just started working with some of my Dolltress hair, and I can confirm it's identical to work with as the DH nylon! I've still got to try and curl it, but it's been lovely and soft putting into the head so far!

I'm also ordering a few colors I needed from the newly-reopened Custompony.com site, she's offering 10% off with code "oldstock" so she can move her old hair out to make room for new. I was hoping to try RetrodollsUK, since I've heard lovely things about her, but I struggled to find a color I knew would match for my tailless pony. NGL, I was swayed by the easy "here's what ponies this color will match!" list beneath the shade of pink I needed. I'm sure RetrodollsUK has equally great hair (and I'll be ordering from her later!), but I really struggled with their random selections of color. It was hard to compare all of the pinks! That said, I hope CustomPony will update her photos; they definitely look 10 years old, and it's hard to tell what the colors really look like! ^^;
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2020, 05:01:39 AM »
That's interesting, the hair I got from dolltress has a different feel/texture than dollyhair...

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2020, 10:45:27 AM »
Oh! I just started working with some of my Dolltress hair, and I can confirm it's identical to work with as the DH nylon! I've still got to try and curl it, but it's been lovely and soft putting into the head so far!

I'm also ordering a few colors I needed from the newly-reopened Custompony.com site, she's offering 10% off with code "oldstock" so she can move her old hair out to make room for new. I was hoping to try RetrodollsUK, since I've heard lovely things about her, but I struggled to find a color I knew would match for my tailless pony. NGL, I was swayed by the easy "here's what ponies this color will match!" list beneath the shade of pink I needed. I'm sure RetrodollsUK has equally great hair (and I'll be ordering from her later!), but I really struggled with their random selections of color. It was hard to compare all of the pinks! That said, I hope CustomPony will update her photos; they definitely look 10 years old, and it's hard to tell what the colors really look like! ^^;

Please let us know how you like the CustomPony hair if you can...I just looked at their site and am interested! I also liked the convenient 'match' lists she had.

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
Is there a thread somewhere where I can put up hair color matches?  I know there is one specific to RetroDolls, but what about other brands of hair?  Or would this even be useful to people...

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
I have glow nylon from custom doll hair AU on etsy.  More delicate than dolly hair nylon, tangles easier.  I think each strand is thinner which might contribute.  Looks awesome.  I have also gotten several colors from Doll Planet.  That stuff is melt in your fingers soft!!  It does not seem to style as easily as dolly hair, but I over did the mane.  For the pony I was doing, the sort of out of control look fits. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
I personally love the feel of Doll Planet's Patronus glow in the dark white hair--it is so soft! It was a bit wild and tangly, but that works to give my Egon Spengler pony a bit of a Fabio look! :lol:

Doll Planet on Etsy seems to be very reliable, and the colors of the nylon are nice. It's sad that RestoreDoll and some other sites have gone under, especially because their hair matches were so close to standard MLP hair! :/  I don't usually do Hasbro based customs, though...so...I'm not exactly an authority on these things...
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2020, 08:39:36 AM »
Is there a thread somewhere where I can put up hair color matches?  I know there is one specific to RetroDolls, but what about other brands of hair?  Or would this even be useful to people...

It would be very useful indeed! If you or anyone else decides to start one, I'll be happy to jump in and contribute with any matches I find.

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
does anyone have a good clay feather tutorial? i'm in the middle of making my oc (my icon) and cant fid real feathers that i like or are sturdy
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2020, 03:28:58 AM »
does anyone have a good clay feather tutorial? i'm in the middle of making my oc (my icon) and cant fid real feathers that i like or are sturdy
Hello vampyrefay. Wow, that OC looks cool. Long feathers may be a bit complicated. I'd use a wire as a "backbone" for each feather. Then I'd put a bit of cardboard or thick paper on it to make it wider and give the clay something to rest on.
I use Apoxie Sculpt, so the following is based on that type of clay. No idea how other clays behave.
Then I'd sculpt one side of the feather. Make a feather shape and smooth it out with damp fingers. To give it a smooth surface I don't use water, but body lotion. It keeps the modelling clay flexible but doesn't mush it to mud.
With a toothpick or needle I draw the lines on it and cut the sides with a hobby knife.
Rest the half-feather on a curved thing (pen, winecork) to give it a bendy shape and let cure completely. Then do side 2.

Hope this helps. :)
Can't wait to see the result.

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »

:)
Was pretty easy to get her eyes out, I just need to touch up some of the rawer areas before I go ahead with what I was trying to do.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
I don't know if you intended it but that photo is pretty terrifying :lol: