collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46536 times)

Offline Blackness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2020, 09:16:49 PM »
Reckon I will message you soon for some tips BlackCurtains - I assume there is a lot of wire going on underneath those beautifully sculpted wings? They make your pony instantly majestic, can't understand why you are not 100% happy with them!! What clay do you use? Getting the wings secured inside the pony will be a challenge.. Have two bait ponies set aside to make wings for, just a matter of overcoming my own fear and hesitation lol...

Honestly the whole reason why I keep the original pony colour is because I personally don't like the look of a FBR done by brush. I'm becoming inundated with pink baits though, need to embrace FBRs somehow! Also, the gradient affects others can achieve with an airbrush are breathtaking, no amount of patience and make-up sponges can compare! Is it difficult to learn airbrushing techniques?

And hey ChocolateStarfire, great work on the ghostbuster suit! Looks sweet! Personally I almost always rehair a pony before sculpting - less risk of breaking your work. I use polymer clay but turns out that nylon hair can withstand being baked at 130°c quite well :lol:

In other news, I have finished two ponies in the past week, haven't had time to get decent photos of them yet. Started looking for a bulk lot of G1 baits for new projects and ended up buying a few others to add to my collection, whoops! :biggrin: Is it just me here in Australia or are G1 prices going through the roof these days? A real struggle to find anything lately!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:18:25 PM by Blackness »

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
And hey ChocolateStarfire, great work on the ghostbuster suit! Looks sweet! Personally I almost always rehair a pony before sculpting - less risk of breaking your work. I use polymer clay but turns out that nylon hair can withstand being baked at 130°c quite well :lol:

Thank you, Blackness! <3 I haven't done a full sculpt like this before and I didn't think to rehair first so...live and learn! XD
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey:

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 02:53:50 AM »
Does anyone else have stories about customizing under quarantine? I started this thinking, "I'm gonna have so much free time to make art!" and finished like ... one project. And then I quickly lost steam. :lmao: Hopefully I'm not the only one with dreams bigger than her abilities right now! But I did get the chance to pick up a dyed bait I'd had for like, a year and a half, and finally finished him! Here's to hoping I can finish some more soon! :cheer:

I'm also wondering, if I dyed some baits around April ... would they be 'settled' enough to paint on by now, you think? Probably? Maybe? I'm so excited to work on some of these ponies! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
Does anyone else have stories about customizing under quarantine? I started this thinking, "I'm gonna have so much free time to make art!" and finished like ... one project. And then I quickly lost steam. :lmao: Hopefully I'm not the only one with dreams bigger than her abilities right now!

I started off strong, then kind of slowed down.  I have been going in to work more lately, so that's probably the reason.... But I've got about...five? ponies that I'm in the middle of right now.  Two of them are G4s and for some reason I dislike doing their eyes so that's what I'm stuck on.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 11:33:08 AM »
Me too. Started off wi loads of potential, but then a bout of depression brought me to a screeching halt. The thing which brought me out of it was a story I'm still working on... Custom Ponies are waiting until that's finished...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
I got Slimer done, and will get the Halloween kitten twins done as soon as I receive more hair in the mail...thinking about making a Janine custom, too, as I am going to be her for Halloween this year, party or no party! :3

I have a ton of baits to sort through, might get to that today, although it has been super hot here! Bleh! Hope you all are staying cool and safe!
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 01:48:28 AM »
It's been super hot here too! I work on making my hair plugs outside, and I haven't been able to make any plugs for - gosh, at least a month now, maybe two! I'll miss the long days, but I won't miss the 100+ temps we're having out here, phew! :faint:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Sorry for the late replies, I've been without internet.

And the wings on that boy are incredible!  Is that Sculpey, or something else?

Thanks! Yep, it's Super Sculpey.

Reckon I will message you soon for some tips BlackCurtains - I assume there is a lot of wire going on underneath those beautifully sculpted wings? They make your pony instantly majestic, can't understand why you are not 100% happy with them!! What clay do you use? Getting the wings secured inside the pony will be a challenge..

Is it difficult to learn airbrushing techniques?

There's a backbone (wingbone?) of thick gauge wire but the bulk is actually cardstock and masking tape  ^^; and no, they don't melt or burn in the oven :)

I used Super Sculpey on that guy. I also work with Sculpey III and Premo, depends on what I'm making.

Securing the wings isn't too difficult. I run the backbone wire all the way down inside the front legs. Then for balance issues I cram a couple 1/2 ounce bank sinker fishing weights in them. Then cap it off with Apoxie Sculpt. I also use some Apoxie on the inside where the wire pokes in. It's possible to do all that and still make the wings removable but I've been experimenting with a different way.

Haha, I'm rarely happy with my projects. In this case it's the top row of feathers. Real bird wings don't look like that. I've made a lot of wings but they're never quite the same. I'm still working on perfecting them.

Airbrushing isn't hard to learn if you can already draw and/or paint. It's mostly learning how to control the flow of paint. I have a Paasche double action (the VL-Series I believe) which is really nice. Well worth the investment.

In other news, I'm moved in to my new apartment. I've found about half my arts & crafts supplies so far :lol: But my work area is all set up! It will be nice when I unpack everything and can get back to work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:52:47 PM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
Working on a Pony Life custom, finally. Working on the eyes and such now. I think I would love to invest in an airbrush in the future because my painting isn't the greatest and I would love to do really cool gradients easily.
Need to make some smaller brushes. :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline puuush

• MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2020, 06:47:45 AM »
Oh, that is a fun thread.
So many great projects. Love the Ghostbuster Pony. And your winged Boy is stunning already, BlackCurtains.

I recently got distracted by Warhammer 40k minis. I'm a bit addicted to painting them. I'm making a Friendship is Magic Mane 6 Chaos Space Marines squad though. :D

Also I have some pony WIP: an Eastern Dragon G3 custom, a rainbow custom that gets a heavily sculpted diorama and a :muffin: Pony Peacock that is nearly finished.

Reading this thread makes me nostalgic again. I miss the swaps and chit chat. (My fault for not participating enough).
I need to kick me back into customising and to finish some ponys.

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »
Oh, that is a fun thread.
So many great projects. Love the Ghostbuster Pony.

Thank you, Puuush! I've missed the Arena and I'm glad to be back, and glad to see you and other pony customizers around! I miss the swaps, too...maybe one will pop up again someday! :3
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Also I have some pony WIP: an Eastern Dragon G3 custom, a rainbow custom that gets a heavily sculpted diorama and a :muffin: Pony Peacock that is nearly finished.

Those all sound really cool, I hope you will show us when you finish them!

I just finished prepping a bunch of g4 baits I had been putting off.  My fingers are sore from digging the hair and glue out of the insides of their heads  >_<  But I didn't cut myself while severing any of their neck plugs, so that's a win!  Gosh, talking about bait prep sounds so...violent/gorey  :lol:

I'm almost finished with a g4 Dancing butterflies custom, I just need to style her hair.  I have a boil-permed rehair I styled about 5 years ago that still has tight curls so I think I'll go with that method.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline puuush

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2020, 03:37:20 AM »
Thanks ChocolateStarfire. I'd love to be part of a swap again. Maybe a holiday seasoned one. :D

As soon as I re-figured out how to attach pictures here, I'll show finished ponys and WIPs.

Hahaha, I can so relate to your prepping rant. Same here. Prepping baits is my least favourite part of customizing, but so rewarding when you have your blank pony to start painting. :heart:

Oh, G4 dancing butterflies sounds so cute. Can't wait to see her.

Offline puuush

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2020, 03:00:06 AM »
Finally I figured out how to attach pics again.  :blush: (And sorry for double posting).

Here is the :muffin: Pony Peacock custom I'm working on. Nearly finished. I just need to re-assamble and style.
In the background you can see a finished Dragon Custom. Sadly it turned out sticky, so I'm experimenting with different sealants to get rid of that.  :huh:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2020, 03:10:10 AM »
Both look absolutely stunning, puuush! I'm so happy to see your work again :hug:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal