collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What lengths do you go to for your ponies?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
What lengths do you go to for your ponies?
« on: August 02, 2020, 11:38:52 PM »
While some may be content to collect their ponies and have them on display, perhaps never to be touched and taken off their shelf space, others might perhaps find more joy in interacting with their ponies- maybe through imaginary play, or the occasional photoshoot. There is no wrong way to collect, and- if desired, interacting with your ponies.

But today, I want to address the interactive type of collectors. How do you interact with your ponies? What lengths do you go for them? Perhaps you painstakingly pose them and agonize over the right lighting and backdrops for their photoshoots? Perhaps you have been having them out to keep you company as you channel surf your way through home lockdown. Or maybe they occupy a space at your kitchen table just to make home stay seem a little less lonely, if you’re all by yourself.

Personally, I enjoy giving my girls photoshoots once in a while- the more adventurous fillies and foals will sometimes prefer the outdoors, and I take them on my walks. The greater lengths I go to for my pony gals, though, are creating handmade sets for the ones who prefer their photoshoots at home. (Or throwing 5 separate parties in the course of one day, and being the photographer for the ponies. How the heck does Pinkie Pie do it?!)
Spoiler
Sweet baby girl, Potion Nova celebrates her long awaited Pony Life episode debut with a popcorn party with Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity...and Spike!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then it’s a pool party with Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Banana Fluff, Sea Poppy, and Fluttershy!

Followed by a yummy, out of this world pizza party with Milky Way, Starsong, Star Dreams, Princess Luna, and Princess Twilight Sparkle!

Potion Nova bust a move with a dance party with DJ Pon-3, Songbird Serenade, Twilight and Luna!
https://happypastelponies.tumblr.com/post/625411374438400000/pony-dance-party

And finally, the fun was wrapped up with Potion Nova sharing a quiet moment and some dessert with   Strawberry Sunrise, Diamond Mint, and Junebug!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:15:42 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Re: What lengths do you go to for your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »
I love getting my ponies out and playing with them, fidgeting with them, doing photoshoots, making sets and props for them... I need to do more, I've been slacking off on that.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:49:14 AM »
My ponies (and other toys) are spoilt, quite frankly  :biggrin: I love dolls' house miniatures so I spend a lot of time setting up photo shoots with cute mini props.
They also go on outings (or at least they did, back in the heady pre-lockdown days). Some of them have been on holidays (to Cornwall and Dartmoor; Novia is convinced she's the first Argentinian pony to visit Dartmoor) and last year Wind Whistler (who likes history) paid a visit to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's cottage in Nether Stowey. I have a photo of her somewhere (can't find it at the moment) having a go with an old-fashioned quill pen. :muffin: Pony and Daring Do, who are blind bag sized, especially enjoy going on adventures. Daring Do went to the beach a couple of years ago and swam in a little pool!
Of course the ponies also have their hair brushed and styled, have jewellery made for them, and have a lot of stories made up about their day to day lives. So definitely pampered ponies here :lol:
I want to post some photos but Imgur is being naughty  :shakefist: Maybe later.

By the way, your party photos are cute :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:23 AM »
Your photos are super cute <3

I sometimes do photo stories when I'm bored/for a random event/for some other reason. Like when I got PE, I did a photoshoot for that. And when I got Brazilian Paradise or Peru Medley, they had photostories too. Oh, and retro Snuzzle - when wonderful friend in America sent her to me, I did a photostory of her arrival as well.

I don't do the whole imaginative play thing that I did when I was a kid, now. And I don't really agonise about lighting, backdrops, etc. But my ponies also get photographed for my website, so they're all really working ponies as well. They've been helping share pony ID from the UK for 20+ years now, some of them are veterans :D

Sometimes I'll spa them or do their hair. But that tends to happen more now with G3 ponies rather than the G1s.

I have been known to take ponies tripping as well. The most significant of which is Fluttsi, aka Flutter Magic, a CMM Fluttershy that my sister bought me for good luck before my fieldwork in Japan. So she's been all over. She's been all round Japan, she's been to Portugal as well. She's been all over the UK too, to York, to Blenheim, to Hampton Court...to Oxford. She's the most special of my G4 ponies even though she's a M6 pony and I tend to avoid the M6. Unfortunately due to Vovid she hasn't managed to travel at all this year.

Some of Fluttsi's adventures in Japan are here:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385952.0.html

Ponyfan has a whole series of adventures of her baby sea ponies. Maybe she'll link them for you.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 06:14:55 AM »
My ponies are almost like family to me, so you can say they are pretty spoilt.

They get restyled, taken to bed with me, going on vacation with me multiple times. They get a drawing of themselves each and I'm trying to collect all the ponies so they won't be alone.

My instagram is also dedicated to them.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:42 AM »
I wasn't in to photo stories until I got the G4 baby sea ponies.  They were so much fun to put in silly photos and I created a sibling rivalry between Lilly Drop and Sea Poppy.  That led to making more photos because they were always trying to play tricks on each other.  :D  One thing that I love about the G4 baby sea ponies is they are so small that I can put one in my pocket and take a photo if there is something.  I've taken Lilly Drop with me a few times when traveling but the last time my travel photos of her didn't seem to be that great.

Here are some of my sea pony threads

A Present for Sea Poppy

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,395562.msg1773403.html#msg1773403

Sea Pony Fun Wave II.  Not all of the pics in this thread are mine.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,392283.msg1725862.html#msg1725862

Baby Lilly Drop's Adventure

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391365.msg1712326.html#msg1712326

Sea Pony Fun  Not all of these are mine.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,388185.0.html

Some of the pics no longer show up because I took some pics out of my Flickr account but most of them should still show up.

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:51:03 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 07:00:28 AM »
I don't have a lot of space to do much with mine, and my 5-year-old son is absolutely obnoxious about the ponies (I have to close my bathroom linen closet where they are kept whenever he is going to be in there so he doesn't touch...he is completely incapable of 'look-but-don't-touch'). So my interactions with them are usually brief and not too involved. I like to take photos of them sometimes...usually before-and-after ones when I get a new pony that needs to be cleaned up or repaired. Sometimes I dress them in ponywear. I miss my son being in school, when I used to get out my pony repair box and go to work doing spa days for them on the bathroom floor. Hopefully school will start this fall without a hitch so I can get that kind of time/privacy again. Sometimes, late at night when everyone is in bed, I'll take a pony or 2 out and set them on the TV tray to look at while I'm nursing my baby to sleep.

I don't act out scenes or do imaginative play the way I did as a child; I don't have anyone to do this with, plus I'm pretty sure 90% of my creativity drained out of me the day I turned into an adult, and having kids completely depleted the remaining 10% of that supply. It would be fun to do photo stories with my playsets if/when I ever get them here and have a place to set them up...I have my nursery and Baby Bonnet here but the rest are being stored at my parents' house while my basement is being remodeled...maybe someday.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »
Spoiling Potion Nova a bit more... (though she deserves it)
Spoiler

Potion Nova gets to sleep in because of all the partying she did yesterday.

Pretzel and Mrs Cake make a doughnut for her- a bit late for the festivities...

Nova would rather eat an apple and have her coffee. But she took a few nibbles of the doughnut, out of appreciation.

She settles down with a light and healthy salad for lunch.

Post Merge: August 03, 2020, 03:56:25 PM

I love getting my ponies out and playing with them, fidgeting with them, doing photoshoots, making sets and props for them... I need to do more, I've been slacking off on that.
got any posts of your work? Would love to see what kind of sets and props you spoil your ponies with. Why have you been slacking? Low motivation? Work?

Post Merge: August 03, 2020, 04:00:36 PM

My ponies (and other toys) are spoilt, quite frankly  :biggrin: I love dolls' house miniatures so I spend a lot of time setting up photo shoots with cute mini props.
They also go on outings (or at least they did, back in the heady pre-lockdown days). Some of them have been on holidays (to Cornwall and Dartmoor; Novia is convinced she's the first Argentinian pony to visit Dartmoor) and last year Wind Whistler (who likes history) paid a visit to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's cottage in Nether Stowey. I have a photo of her somewhere (can't find it at the moment) having a go with an old-fashioned quill pen. :muffin: Pony and Daring Do, who are blind bag sized, especially enjoy going on adventures. Daring Do went to the beach a couple of years ago and swam in a little pool!
Of course the ponies also have their hair brushed and styled, have jewellery made for them, and have a lot of stories made up about their day to day lives. So definitely pampered ponies here :lol:
I want to post some photos but Imgur is being naughty  :shakefist: Maybe later.

By the way, your party photos are cute :)

Thanks.
And oof. Mini furniture is one of my weaknesses. Do you make them for the ponies, or buy? I would think the Sylvanas and Calico Critters furniture would pair nicely with the ponies. Perhaps. Haven’t personally tested it to find out.

Do you have certain ponies you spoil more than others, or do they all get the same pampered treatment? Kinda jealous of your ponies’ travel records.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:00:36 PM by Mana Minori »

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
It's a mix of preoccupation with other things, and just plain distraction. The one full set I've made so far is the room seen here:

I'm also working on an arcade set. This one is going to be a bit more elaborate, having different pieces for different areas like the snackbar, inside and outside the entrance, and such.  Although there will be recycling going on, like using the same floor pieces but with different machines set up on it. WIP facade here:

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 05:53:44 PM »
......YOUR PONIES HAVE AN SNES?!?! And PEGASUS PIZZA?!?!?!

Omg. Just, wow. That’s a fancy setup they got there.

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 12:43:22 AM »
......YOUR PONIES HAVE AN SNES?!?! And PEGASUS PIZZA?!?!?!

Omg. Just, wow. That’s a fancy setup they got there.
Thanks. The Pegasus Pizza box is fairly basic; I just measured and cut a box from cardstock and doodled a logo on the top with a red pen.
The SNES, I found here.

The TV I made myself. The base structure is a simple measured, cut, and glued cardboard rectangular solid. The buttons are a length of matchstick that's been notched. The speaker grilles are cardboard rectangles with crosshatches scribed into them to make them look like old-school speaker mesh. But the best part is the screen. The acetate used for the screen? Is only glued at the sides. Meaning I can slip different pictures behind it to show different things on TV

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 01:56:59 AM »
Thanks.
And oof. Mini furniture is one of my weaknesses. Do you make them for the ponies, or buy? I would think the Sylvanas and Calico Critters furniture would pair nicely with the ponies. Perhaps. Haven’t personally tested it to find out.

Do you have certain ponies you spoil more than others, or do they all get the same pampered treatment? Kinda jealous of your ponies’ travel records.

Dolls house miniatures is what most of my fun money goes on, since I'm not actively buying ponies/dolls at the moment. I just love mini stuff! It's amazing what a variety of stuff there is on eBay and Etsy! There are also a few things I can make myself, such as jewellery and little mini books and notebooks. Printable goodies are awesome too: there are lots of fun kits available on Etsy and of course My Froggy Stuff (http://myfroggystuff.blogspot.com/).

I think Sylvanian furniture and accessories would be cute for G4 ponies! The furniture would be a bit small for G1, but my ponies have played with Sylvanian accessories before (I have some Sylvanian stuff from when I was little, so every so often I pillage my boxes of childhood toys looking for fun stuff for ponies).

I have to admit to total favouritism among my ponies, I have a group of twelve ponies (ten G1s, 2 mini G4s) who get most of the excitement :)
But sometimes others get in on the fun too.

Pics and links to pics! Basically, loadsa photos!:
Spoiler
Here's some of my photos from a thread about ponies and dolls' house miniatures: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398046.msg1806235.html#msg1806235
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398046.msg1805961.html#msg1805961

Ponies with shopping accessories:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398165.msg1808006.html#msg1808006

Novia on her Dartmoor travels: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Baby Ribbon's travels:
https://imgur.com/a/wH1jYSv - on holiday on Dartmoor
https://imgur.com/a/a9To2Nc - at the top of a hill in Cornwall
https://imgur.com/a/WsUsp5q - visiting a stately home
https://imgur.com/a/qPVv1QX - braving the wind and rain on the Cornish coast

Adventures and travels of Clover (Baby Tippytoes):
The top pic is on an ancient bridge on Dartmoor; in the next one she's on the beach at Marazion (Cornwall) with St. Michael's Mount in the background.
https://imgur.com/a/CV3osb6

The Sweet Talkin' Ponies enjoy cooking:
https://imgur.com/a/imdpKTM

Hope the links all work :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:00:03 AM by Shaz »

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 03:46:52 AM »
That's some nice stuff! I love it!

Did up some paper hats for Molly and Baby Sundance on a whim.

Mana Minori, can I steal this thread idea for the Trading Post?

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
@Zelda- sure.
Love the paper hats! They’re so tiny!!! I feel bad for baby Sundance, all harnessed up like that, though.

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
Thanks! And the thing is, she loves her bridle - it's her favorite fashion accessory. Molly puts it on her to humor her.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal