collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if- ponies go to the dark side?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
What if- ponies go to the dark side?
« on: July 31, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
Ok, I know this will likely never ever happen, but I just have to wonder....MY LITTLE PONY hasn’t been shy about throwing Christianity themes in the animated series- ever since g1 (though it seems far more prevalent in g4)...Demonic centaurs, witches, demonic gods of chaos, the literal realm of HELL (Tartarus), Horned devil costumes worn by the ponies in the background, Moochick mentioning “heaven”, PARADISE estate, Characters named Angel Bunny and Angel Wings, name swaps with “Celestia” being used in phrases with “God” in them.....

So with all this, hypothetically....what if Hasbro acquired the rights to the VERY adult-aimed animated Indie content Produced by “Vivziepop”, the creator of “Hazbin Hotel” (an animated pilot about demons and sinners in hell wanting to be “redeemed” by a demon princess so they can go to heaven) and began doing Pony crossover releases in the collectibles department (available online only, for obvious reasons), sort of in the way that they have been doing for their board games (and MtG) lately? Would this acquisition and possible mashup help or hinder the pony brand? Would it make it more “endearing” toward the adult audience? Does pony need to go in such a direction? How might Vivziepop’s fan base feel about Cute pastel ponies in their (hypothetically now Hasbro’s) playground?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:23:57 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Re: What if- ponies go to the dark side?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
Ok, I know this will likely never ever happen, but I just have to wonder....MY LITTLE PONY hasn’t been shy about throwing Christianity themes in the animated series- ever since g1 (though it seems far more prevalent in g4)...Demonic centaurs, witches, demonic gods of chaos, the literal realm of HELL (Tartarus), Horned devil costumes worn by the ponies in the background, Moochick mentioning “heaven”, PARADISE estate, Characters named Angel Bunny and Angel Wings, name swaps with “Celestia” being used in phrases with “God” in them.....
:hmm: Given how a lot of these references permeate secular popular consciousness and casual usage (and have for ages), I think you are reeeeeeeally reaching here.

Also, Tartarus is from Greek mythology. Although FiM does conflate it with the punitive portion of Hades' realm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:17:46 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »
should be perma-moderated

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 11:50:52 PM »
:hmm: Given how a lot of these references permeate secular popular consciousness and casual usage (and have for ages), I think you are reeeeeeeally reaching here.

Also, Tartarus is from Greek mythology. Although FiM does conflate it with the punitive portion of Hades' realm
fair enough.
Now do you have any thoughts on the hypothetical crossover?

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:11:17 AM »
I'd rather it not happen, it'd probably just result in more tacky brony-drool material.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:37:38 AM »
The moment you actively try to conflate religion with a kid's toy, however benign your intent, you're asking for trouble.

Fantasy is designed to be fantastical. End of.

And MLP is not meant to appeal to the adult audience. I agree with ZeldatheSwordsman. It would just be feeding the brony trolls.

Now I'm gonna put my academic hat on for a moment, but carefully, because I think this is the kind of subject that some people might take amiss.

Assuming every theme in a story that relates to god, heaven, demons etc has to be evoking Christianity just demonstrates lack of awareness of global and cultural traditions across the world. Most of the things you mention don't immediately indicate a connection to Christianity.

I think maybe before you jump to those conclusions it'd be a good idea to do some wider reading on other cultures, legends, myths, other faiths, and fantasy in general.

For example, the sunstone in the End of Flutter Valley could easily be linked with the Aten in ancient Egypt, but there are also many other solar-based religions and 'pagan' faiths that might use that kind of a concept.
Demons are very common in Japanese mythology. Gods are present in multiple faiths, they just use different words depending on the language that dominates them. The words you emphasise are used in multiple contexts and cultures, too - just maybe in translation. But since MLP was translated, that's not really an argument either.

I feel like you're also trying to paint the other generations with the G4 cartoon brush, which you should never do. I don't know what the intention of the G4 animators was, because I don't care at all about FIM. But I know that things like kirins, which are asian in origin, are part of the mythological construct.

Just because we use a word in English to denote something doesn't mean it's the correct word, either, or that by using our word we're not conveying the wrong meaning on the cultural concept behind it.

But going back to MLP on the dark side, let's not forget this is a kid's franchise.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:42:59 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:04:05 AM »
That it is. And frankly it's quite capable of being dark on its own terms when it wants to be, without betraying that. Just think of some of the threats the ponies have faced in G1 alone: A fiendish-looking centaur trying to unleash eternal night and threatening to behead a baby dragon, lots of child abductions by various antagonists, evil witches who consider genocide a sport, fascist penguins trying to freeze the world, a wish gone awry causing a drought that makes California's water issues look inconsequential... And on occasion, some of the villains are outright slain - obliterated, even.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:05:51 AM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:57:29 AM »
The moment you actively try to conflate religion with a kid's toy, however benign your intent, you're asking for trouble.

Fantasy is designed to be fantastical. End of.

And MLP is not meant to appeal to the adult audience. I agree with ZeldatheSwordsman. It would just be feeding the brony trolls.

Now I'm gonna put my academic hat on for a moment, but carefully, because I think this is the kind of subject that some people might take amiss.

Assuming every theme in a story that relates to god, heaven, demons etc has to be evoking Christianity just demonstrates lack of awareness of global and cultural traditions across the world. Most of the things you mention don't immediately indicate a connection to Christianity.

I think maybe before you jump to those conclusions it'd be a good idea to do some wider reading on other cultures, legends, myths, other faiths, and fantasy in general.

For example, the sunstone in the End of Flutter Valley could easily be linked with the Aten in ancient Egypt, but there are also many other solar-based religions and 'pagan' faiths that might use that kind of a concept.
Demons are very common in Japanese mythology. Gods are present in multiple faiths, they just use different words depending on the language that dominates them. The words you emphasise are used in multiple contexts and cultures, too - just maybe in translation. But since MLP was translated, that's not really an argument either.

I feel like you're also trying to paint the other generations with the G4 cartoon brush, which you should never do. I don't know what the intention of the G4 animators was, because I don't care at all about FIM. But I know that things like kirins, which are asian in origin, are part of the mythological construct.

Just because we use a word in English to denote something doesn't mean it's the correct word, either, or that by using our word we're not conveying the wrong meaning on the cultural concept behind it.

But going back to MLP on the dark side, let's not forget this is a kid's franchise.
oh, I am well aware of that. Religion is a massive can of worms to a lot of people, especially when tacked onto a toy or collectible and thrust into the spotlight. And I may have been wrong in the op for using themes as the word when talking about MLP. I know the show is pure fantasy, and I should have used “elements” instead, to describe the many examples, as the show itself doesn’t really follow a religious Story narrative in any gen.

Creating this topic wasn’t meant to cause amiss, and I do apologize if anyone were to take it that way. Again- it’s just a “what if” scenario, since the topic of pony crossovers with other things have been on the table as of late. Didn’t and don’t mean to trigger anyone.  Either was it my intent to paint all gens with the same brush as you say- but merely pointing out the  certain elements I thought were made manifest across the gens.

I do appreciate the reminder of cultural context you bring up, as that wasn’t a factor that I originally considered at the time of writing this.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 05:19:35 AM »
D&D ponies aren't anti-christian enough?  /s

(I joke with this because my childhood friend's mom flipped out  on us for playing a "devil's game". We were playing dodgeball on a jungle gym which we had called dungeons and dragons).

But really, I agree with what Taffeta said.

EDIT:
TO REITERATE:
I *didn't* mean ANY kind of seriousness with my comment.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:00:18 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
The Arena is generally a pretty mature place when it comes to discussions but there are certain topics the mods prefer to be treated with care (and sometimes in the WYP section).

I personally don't see religion as a controversial subject necessarily, but everyone is entitled to their own perspectives and sensitivities where such things are concerned :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
Uh what christian influences? You do know all of those are from mythological cultures around the world don't you? Or that the actual creatures in judeo/christian mythos is actually based around demonizing pre-judeo/christian lore in certain parts of the middle east?   :pout: I mean c'mon! Mythology is something little kids learn in world history classes.:facepalm:

Anyway, mlp has subtly dark tones, but it's done in such a way that its not generally considered frightening. Just our protags who go up against creatures. And they can sometimes appeal to their better natures.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:16:03 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »

(I joke with this because my childhood friend's mom flipped out  on us for playing a "devil's game". We were playing dodgeball on a jungle gym which we had called dungeons and dragons).

well Some Christians tend to see dragons as evil and Satanic, due to The Devil being associated with a dragon...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »

well Some Christians tend to see dragons as evil and Satanic, due to The Devil being associated with a dragon...

I'm not sure how the people of Wales would feel about their national emblem being branded 'satanic'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Wales

I think you're treading on very dangerous ground, honestly.

Reiterating what I said in my earlier post about respect for and knowledge of other cultures.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:51:55 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 09:56:23 AM »
You have cool ideas, OP. I'm also positive the ideas used in g1 cartoons are judeo-christian in nature. 80s cartoons (and videogames) didn't mind that sort of thing.

As for Hazbin Hotel crossover with pony, dear God I hope not. Mainly because that fandom is...well. It gives me Brony vibes.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »

Which is more to do with certain harmful attitudes, that to be fair, everyone sadly had back then of other people. The world was not a very kind place obviously. That does not make the dragon the sole property of one specific mythos, when many places have them and have their own view on the dragon's symbology in the world.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:35:12 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
One of the main characters in Hazbin Hotel is an "adult film star" in Corral terms. I don't want to think about the pony version of that/what the ponies would do to get into hell there in a crossover.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal