collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony ID and Cataloging sites?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Pony ID and Cataloging sites?
« on: July 29, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
What are some of the most complete sites? I know of Strawberry Reef, My Little Wiki and MLP Merch.  Are there others?
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Pony ID and Cataloging sites?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
Taf's site is awesome for UK based cataloging! Also Chrissytree's accessories site is probably the most complete G1 accessory catalog I know of. Ponyland Press is nice too, however, it seems like it hasn't been updated in a couple years, and I'm not sure if it's completely correct.

As a side note, Strawberry Reef isn't being updated and contains a lot of wrong information, so you might want to avoid it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
Ponyland Press has been under rennovations since 2017. I suspect life got in the way.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »
I was going to mention Taffeta’s site but Safflower posted it first. :D

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
Ponyland Press still lists "NSS Paradise" as a pony although they were alerted to the issue 2 years ago. So I suspect it is also not being updated.

Strawberry Reef stopped being updated years ago and is very error-prone in the International section. Great for G3, should probably be avoided for G1.

MLPMerch have really tried to revamp their website to be more integrated but honestly I find what they've done with it pretty confusing in terms of how to find different ponies. But they have tried to include a lot of stuff. And they do have the checklist option for your collection which I think no other site currently has. I personally don't use it so I don't know how userfriendly the new navigation/organisation is.

Wiki is the best of the mainstream sites for ID but also has some issues with international MLP. I think Pheasant is working on this among other gaps.

Chrissytree's accessory website is amazing and probably the best accessory site currently online. Definitely bookmark that one.

Cookies to Ponyfan and Saff ;)

In terms of my own site, I'm working (slowly) on renovating and updating it to include more directly European information as well as to make more of the existing US and UK information. So hopefully when that's done it will be useful to people.  I want to improve the navigation and make it easier to find/id stuff as well, so I'm working on that too.

I should also add that I'm a UK person writing about ponies from a UK perspective but I have all the mainstream G1 ponies (as far as I know) on my website as well, including all the US released ponies and those sold in Europe. Although the new site will make that easier to navigate (I hope). But all the ponies sold in the US have been on my site too since about 2006. If we're talking about completeness, my site definitely includes more mainstream G1 ponies than Ponyland Press or Strawberry Reef and I know there are some that are not on MLPMerch or Wiki yet either. 

I stopped doing variant ponies on my site in about 2004 though. So no Nirvana from me. Suggest that when PKW gets the Gallery up and running, that's the best place to go for those things.

I also don't really do petites or Dream Beauties.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:33:40 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
Ponyland Press still lists "NSS Paradise" as a pony although they were alerted to the issue 2 years ago. So I suspect it is also not being updated.
Yeah... As I mentioned in my post, it's been under renovation for a few years, with formerly-accessible pages leading to a "Under construction" placeholder page. I'm betting that life got in the way of completing the work.

I like the washing and styling tutorials on that site.
should be perma-moderated

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Lavender Lagoon has become the go-to place for G2s:
http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »
MLP Merch is really the only cataloging site out there that allows you to maintain both a checklist and a wishlist. KLECT.com is still online, but it hasn't had updates in quite some time and is very klunky and hard to operate. I loved Ponydex because it allowed users to add their own photos of their ponies, but I imagine it became costly to host all of those images.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »
If you're looking for a catalogue of just G1 ponies, there are a lot of options.  But if you want a catalogue of ALL gens, MLP Merch is the best.  It's really hard to find a site that accurately / thoroughly lists the G4 toys.  Which I think is due to a combo of a lot of collectors being fatigued of them, plus it being harder to keep track when there are multiple iterations of the same characters.

Silverfall's Ponytopia site is a great resource for earlier G3s.  (It stopped updating sometime in the mid-years of G3.)  One of the most accurate sites for cataloguing the very SLIGHT differences there could be between G3 releases.  Like "Sunny Daze sold individually vs Sunny Daze who came as a Bonus Pony with playset" stuff.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
MLPMerch is the go to site for G4 hands down. I think it's the only site that tries to offer cataloguing for all gens but I'm not totally convinced whether it's easier or more complicated to find stuff now you can find some Nirvana ponies interspersed within normal categories, so I;m doubtful about it for older gens still. But for G4, it's the best site there is.

I agree with GoddessofPeep about Lavender Lagoon and LM about Silverfall for G2 and G3 respectively as well.

Although Silverfall's site is not complete.

I know MLPSunsparkle was working on something relating to G3 as well. But I think that maybe related more to the UK.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 07:00:18 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for the information. I can't wait to go through each site.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal