collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is going on with G1 sales?  (Read 998 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on with G1 sales?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 11:32:43 PM »
There’s a seller from Europe that’s listing shipping to the USA for one pony is $100. $100!  One pony!  And I don’t even think it’s insured.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 03:42:35 AM »
There’s a seller from Europe that’s listing shipping to the USA for one pony is $100. $100!  One pony!  And I don’t even think it’s insured.
*faint* seriously? I used to joke about that years ago but even with the insane stuff happening now with shipping prices I still didn't thing the $100 shipping for one pony thing would ever be real :yikes:
*is reaaally out of the loop*  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline BabyTaffeta

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 03:54:16 AM »

The cheapest shipping from Germany to the US with insurance is $52.
And there are definitely countries in Europe with more expensive shipping rates (like France for example)
So it’s not that unrealistic.
From the US to Germany I have seen prices anywhere between $20 and $70
********visitors can't see pics , please register or login
*********visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Thanks to Exodus3D and jupi for my siggy & to Spring_Shower for my Avvie!~

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 04:58:57 AM »
100$ only if the pony is made of pure gold :)
The shipping thing on Ebay is also handling costs. Everything that cost something to ship is being charged.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 10:56:38 AM »
The Global Shipping Program is definitely a factor in this. Lots of people who have never done any selling before, wanting maximum profit for minimum effort, plus a shipping service that does all the effort at the buyer's expense is a dream come true for a lot of newer sellers. Not to mention that even sellers who don't want to use it get tied up in it and it's hard to take it off...and of course, there's the GSP's own handling charge in there as well.

Shipping from here to the US for one pony with tracking is probably still around £10ish, but it may change with insurance and I don't know about more than one pony. Compared with $100 that's cheap. But still expensive.

I've seen US sellers claiming it costs $50 to ship a pony accessory overseas before though. That's definitely not valid. I think some sellers just do it to put off overseas buyers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 12:54:03 PM »
I've seen US sellers claiming it costs $50 to ship a pony accessory overseas before though. That's definitely not valid. I think some sellers just do it to put off overseas buyers.

It really wouldn't surprise me :(

You do still get the odd seller here and there that's willing to work with you and ship things overseas (and not charge ridiculous prices for it :p), but sadly they seem to be scarcer than ever.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 01:59:45 AM »

It really wouldn't surprise me :(

You do still get the odd seller here and there that's willing to work with you and ship things overseas (and not charge ridiculous prices for it :p), but sadly they seem to be scarcer than ever.

And that's why I shipped that package to Brazil. (see other topic). It can be done cheaper and secure. I always take the price of the carrier.  I also rather buy private to be sure the shipping is not insane.
But today's online world is obviously to get more money on vintage ponies.

Yesterday I went thrifting at my local fleamarket. There is this regular vendor with ponies I have good chatting with. She told me she has no clue what G1 to bring for her table since nobody wants to buy it. Or try to have it way cheaper price. Mostly commons, italians and sometimes a htf pony. So either the visitors are picky on price for something vintage or everyone has them already.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 08:33:10 AM »

Not if you want tracking... which is always recommended!  And Ebay will often side with the buyer and refund them if you don't upload a tracking number when you ship!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 02:31:28 PM »

Not if you want tracking... which is always recommended!  And Ebay will often side with the buyer and refund them if you don't upload a tracking number when you ship!

Not for a single accessory. I've bought a lot of stuff over the years from the US, via various different methods, and I've tracked parcels with more than one pony in all across the world (mostly into Canada and out again, actually, thanks to IL's airport depot not knowing a UK postcode from a Canadian one). It's only ever cost over $50 if the item is mint in package or the lot is heavy.

One of my ponies went to Bangladesh and Pakistan before finally finding the UK. That one cost about $10 shipping, and I had tracking which I could follow all the way to the local depot and my house.

I am talking postage from the US to the UK specifically, though. I can't speak for other places. But the US is one of the better countries for bundling tracking into the overall postage options. The UK, you have to ask for it specifically, and make sure you get the right option to have it signed for or all the way tracked.

There's a difference between the most expensive shipping charge possible and shipping priority with a tracking number that is enough to satisfy ebay/paypal.

If it was a super expensive accessory like Sweet Scoops' charm, then I could understand additional insurance pushing the price up, but this wasn't. I think it was a piece of ponywear, but I don't remember exactly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2024, 04:26:30 PM »
I moved away from eBay because of fees, too.  It's just not worth trying to sell individual ponies there anymore, and lots, well, you don't get top dollar.  Most people seem to be moving towards the social media platforms, but I really don't see those as any better.  I've been trying to sell some Webkinz I have and that is a whole ordeal.  Limits on when you can list in a group, then trying to keep up with messages in the first 4 minutes after you list, then trying to keep a posting relevant when it gets bumped down the next day.  It's worse than pulling teeth at times.  Ponies are the same way.  I've found Facebook groups where people buy/sell (and frankly the amount of ignorance there surprises me!  I mean, people on the internet should be able to search to find pony names, yet there are tons of posts asking "who's this pony??") but the same issues pop up like for the Webkinz...trying to keep posts relevant while juggling tons of initial interest.

I finally decided to just work on getting to a couple in person events to see if I have better luck selling there.  I can connect with collectors and try to get fair prices (I can't count on top because of limited attendance) and make sure my ponies are finding good homes.  I can then gauge better if that is more efficient or if I should just go back to eBay and bend over.    :huh:

So why are things slacking so much here?  Are we losing people to the on line platforms?  That does make me curious, since these issues are seen by so many people.
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Kitcatepic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:51:43 AM »
I was thinking of getting the glitter sweetheart sisters but I quickly changed my mind after looking on ebay and seeing 30 dollars being charged for one that has the worst most ratty tinsel hair ever
long live chrysalis

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 12:03:24 PM »
I haven't been to Ponycon for a few years (a few reasons - COVID, money, and also the fact they've rooted it in Nottingham, which is a lot more difficult tog et to from this part of the West Midlands than it was from London.

BUT the last time I did go to a Ponycon, I felt that though there were always lots of G1 on sale, the G1 aspect had been somewhat diluted. Activities were more aimed at kids or G4 things. And I am quite specific with things I look for at Con, and they were less present than in the past (the MOC were more common ones, there wre very few backcards, the ponies were either very expensive nirvana rare ponies or more regular ponies.

None of these things are bad things, because a lot of newer collectors are still out there and I know I am picky. But I do feel that the range of what is available even in person is getting harder to nail down now.

I hate that facebook is used for sales and trades. But I have almost given up on filling the gaps I have or want to fill because the online market has just gone.

Right now there are a lot of MOC ponies on Ebay at stupid prices, here in the UK.Ponies that you would struggle to sell for $50 in the past now being marked up at £300 per pony. It would be funny if it wasn't tragically greedy.

Rather than people knowing which MOC ponies are rarer and which aren't, it's like anything on card must be super valuable and gets marked up. I don't really want to see any MOC on ebay with a price tag over $200 unless it's something exceptional. There are very few MOC ponies that should merit that kind of price tag.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 01:32:39 PM »
UK Ponycon is still affordable if it comes to G1 ponies :) But I also noticed not everyone wants to pay a lot for the more rare ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 01:49:11 PM »
UK Ponycon is still affordable if it comes to G1 ponies :) But I also noticed not everyone wants to pay a lot for the more rare ponies.

It is, but the range of ponies and the depth of G1 stuff there is not the same as it used to be in the past. And while there's the argument that you save on shipping, when you factor in transport and accommodation, it's not really a saving.

I have got some amazing treasures from ponycon over the years. It's just working out whether the outlay to get there is still worth it/whether I can still afford it and be able to buy ponies. So that's also a personal thing and a frustration with the rooting in Nottingham.

But I tend to shop for things that fall through the middle line - not US stuff or Mail order stuff, not really Nirvana. I'm looking for UK cards and UK stickers and UK things. And UK ponycon tends to have fewer of those now than it used to in the past.

...Maybe that's also a sign of how many ponies and bits have gone back and forth over the years, but most of the MIP ponies that turn up at ponycon are relatively common US carded ponies or really rare Nirvana ones.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:53:01 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 01:18:43 PM »
Well, I recently had to fill out a Customs form for a package to the EU. Because its contents were hand-made, I called them hand-crocheted figures. With vintage MLP I suppose we can get away with vintage collectibles, but toys are an issue on the list (which I looked up) as we're no longer under the CE bracket. Just a wee heads-up for sellers; if you want to send to the EU, collectibles is better than toys, especially when the customer is an adult.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal