collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?

Paradise estate
12 (19%)
Show stable
3 (4.8%)
Waterfall
17 (27%)
Dream castle
13 (20.6%)
Baby buggy (princess or regular)
5 (7.9%)
Megan's place
1 (1.6%)
Lullaby nursery
5 (7.9%)
Baby Bonnet school of dance
0 (0%)
Satin slipper sweet schoppe
1 (1.6%)
Perm shoppe
0 (0%)
Poof and puff perfume palace
2 (3.2%)
Brush me beautiful boutique
1 (1.6%)
Rockabye bed
0 (0%)
Scrub a dub tub
2 (3.2%)
Sweet dreams crib
1 (1.6%)
Home sweet home
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: July 31, 2020, 11:07:57 AM

Author Topic: If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?  (Read 6561 times)

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Re: If basic fun remade another g1 playset, whcih one do you want it be?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 12:51:28 AM »

Would you also accept a new separate-sale Paradise?

I would actually prefer it. So long as it was a proper Paradise, not the SS.
Not that SS Paradise isn't proper, but you know, proper regarding what was advertised and never sold.

The school and the kitchen didn't have ponies either - although I'm fairly certain the school was meant to have Lady Lessons, for some reason she also never happened.
Probably because those were towards the tail end and selling them sans pony kept the price down.
should be perma-moderated

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 02:00:41 AM »
Eh, the school came out at the same time as the second stable, with the Chinese Lemon Drop which they had to actively go and produce because prior to that she was made in HK. So I don't think it was that necessarily.

Lady Lessons doesn't have a prototype image as far as I know, but she was in the comic. And while there was Miss Hackney in the tales stories, I never felt like she was any more than a support character. But the comic genuinely never invented new ponies prior to the tales switchover. It sometimes included ones not sold here (like the early unicorns etc) or miscoloured ponies, or got their species wrong. But it never flat out invented them. And the school does come with glasses that look like the glasses Lady Lessons wore in the comic.

So yeah, it might have been price point but it probably wasn't because it was the end of the line.

The school predates MLPTales by 2 or 3 years, it was originally connected to the schooltime and playschool babies, and I think they are on the box (can't remember now!) but...yeah, Lady Lessons always bothers me as a pony that never was.

(On the other hand, it may have been the comic getting the wrong end of the stick based on THIS promo image...
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
but eh. I don't know. She had a symbol and a name and everything...)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:02:24 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 02:50:21 AM »

Wondering why the Kitchen and the Schoolhouse didn't make the poll.  I'm guessing because BF are only focusing on what the US line had?

I didn't include those because I used my g1 collectors guide which is us based. Should I still include them?
Lover of Windwhistler

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 03:09:31 AM »

Wondering why the Kitchen and the Schoolhouse didn't make the poll.  I'm guessing because BF are only focusing on what the US line had?

I didn't include those because I used my g1 collectors guide which is us based. Should I still include them?

Time to get a new collector's guide, since US based = incomplete, and for a European collector, comprehensively irrelevant in most areas.

But BF are only working from the US line, so probably they wouldn't be included in projected production.

The thing is, if you wanted to include all the G1 playsets in the poll, then obv. they should be included.

Why would they not be just because they weren't sold in the US? I mean that's just geography, right?

They're still mainstream G1 pony playsets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:14:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 03:44:44 AM »
I like the idea of having the opportunity to own things that were never produced more than just reissues of things I can get or already have. I’d love for them to do the Cosmic ponies or some of the never produced prototype ponies.

I think the Dream Castle would be the best choice from the playsets that were already released.  It’s really popular, very iconic, it won’t cause too many space issues(though if they wanted to do the lavender version, I would not complain), and it could probably be made to retail at a decent price. 

I don’t think the Paradise Estate would work at all.  It’s huge.  It’s actually shockingly huge in person. I used to win all my hide and seek games well into my teenage years because the empty PE box was in the basement, and I could fit inside. It takes over whatever room it’s in. I don’t remember what the price tag in the 80s was, but if the reissue Parlor is $20, a reissue PE has to be over $200 in today’s dollars. Unless they figure out how to make an Ikea flat packed version of the playset for cheap, I can’t see that one working. 

I still think they should do the snow cone cottage:p

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 04:12:11 AM »
The PE in the UK retailed in 1987 at £60 - at least that was the RRP - so I would estimate in the US it was probably around $60.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 04:41:55 AM »
I like the idea of having the opportunity to own things that were never produced more than just reissues of things I can get or already have. I’d love for them to do the Cosmic ponies or some of the never produced prototype ponies.
Those would be neat... But just because you can get existing sets and ponies doesn't mean everyone can get them. And of course, the reissued ponies are $10 for a new-condition pony with accessories included; you're not getting that kind of deal shopping secondhand on eBay.

I think the Dream Castle would be the best choice from the playsets that were already released.  It’s really popular, very iconic, it won’t cause too many space issues(though if they wanted to do the lavender version, I would not complain), and it could probably be made to retail at a decent price. 
Oh, probably, especially after seeing what the original price ($24.99) adjusts to in today's dollars ($62.01) and further factoring in something noted further down.
The box would still have to be on the wide side just from needing to hold the base, but it wouldn't be much wider than that and would probably be less deep than the original.

I don’t think the Paradise Estate would work at all.  It’s huge.  It’s actually shockingly huge in person. I used to win all my hide and seek games well into my teenage years because the empty PE box was in the basement, and I could fit inside. It takes over whatever room it’s in. I don’t remember what the price tag in the 80s was, but if the reissue Parlor is $20, a reissue PE has to be over $200 in today’s dollars. Unless they figure out how to make an Ikea flat packed version of the playset for cheap, I can’t see that one working. 
Mind you, several G1 playset boxes seem to have been designed such they you could stuff the playsets in them fully assembled, which is decidedly not the case with the reissue Pretty Parlor.
So I'm sure they could pack Paradise Estate into a smaller box. It does come apart, after all, and the house sections could be made to nest by alternating which way they faced. And from what I can tell, none of the individual pieces are as wide as Dream Castle's base is.

And here's something to consider: The Pretty Parlor's original pricetag of $11.99, adjusted for inflation, comes out at $29.75.
The reissue is priced at $19.99, so about $10 less than the original's would be today.

So a reissue of Paradise Estate actually has a good chance of being priced less than its 1986 price ($79.99) adjusts to in today's money ($188.15). And even that actually comes in under the $200 you guessed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:32:09 AM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »
should be perma-moderated

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 04:50:48 AM »
Those would be neat... But just because you can get existing sets and ponies doesn't mean everyone can get them.

To be honest this is a good point.

All of the retro ponies last year were brand new for the UK. We grew up with them in our stories; we didn't get them in our stores. So having them at last has been really awesome and amazing.

Yeah, I have them all in the 1980s iteration. But there;s something else about going INTO A STORE and being able to buy them. Especially since they were ponies I grew up with and the nostalgia for them is more real in some ways than some of the ponies we DID have here (like Cascade who was really never in stories).

So I guess a playset where that emotion can be evoked for the most people is the real answer.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 05:31:55 AM »
The Paradise Estate was sold in my area for $74.99 US dollars at Toys R Us. I have this specific memory of telling my dad how I was hoping to save up for it myself, and how many years I estimated it taking to do so. He then, with an amused look on his face, crushed my spirits further by informing me that the state tax alone on a purchase like that was likely to be over $4...even that was an impossible amount for a kid who got paid 5 cents for cleaning all 3 bathrooms or 10 cents for 2 hours of backbreaking work weeding a massive garden!

It was so big that there wasn't even room for it on the store shelves...there was just a big panoramic poster of it up above the pony display for us kids to look at and drool over. I think it even had to be ordered...they might not have even had room to keep it in stock.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
Honestly, I don't have room for playsets, so... none. :P Or something new. Haha can I vote for the prototype Kitchen with the little yellow kitten? I want that!

(Also I want Lady Lessons to be "real", too. She's so cute.)

But if I had to pick, Dream Castle :) Or Paradise Estate. I love Dream Castle.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 07:08:01 AM »
Dream Castle. It's a cool set and I'd love to have Majesty.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »
Honestly, I don't have room for playsets, so... none. :P Or something new. Haha can I vote for the prototype Kitchen with the little yellow kitten? I want that!

I always called the cat custard xD. I wish that version had been made as well!

(We got so cheated!)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 09:32:28 AM »

Do you have a link to an image of that prototype Kitchen? I couldn't find it on MLW.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:46 AM »

Thanks! I'd definitely buy it if they did this set, if only for the kitty.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal