collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New game ponies!  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New game ponies!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Eh, not as such. It's the same sort of crossover approached from the other side, sure, but the shape is more potato and it's not a retro pony.

Reason I want to see a Mr. Potato Head-themed retro pony is because the Potato Heads were one of the "and Friends" shows in the My Little Pony and Friends timeslot.
if we get a potato pony and it’s name isn’t “Tater Trot”, I will rage XD
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
I would like them better with brushable hair but I am sure I will buy these if I can. 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 06:13:04 PM »
Having said none of them in the poll thread, now I've seen these I have to admit I quite like the lite brite one.

But I am not certain these will even make it here so *shrug*

It's a weird attempt by Hasbro to cash in on the retro stuff. But eh. I want Monopoly pony.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
Having said none of them in the poll thread, now I've seen these I have to admit I quite like the lite brite one.

It's a weird attempt by Hasbro to cash in on the retro stuff. But eh. I want Monopoly pony.
Considering Hasbro owns that as well, it'll probably happen.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 06:14:12 AM »
Peggy Mane for once looks like a cool design. The translucent mane could have only been done on a fully plastic model and makes sense for Light Bright. Twister pony is just lazy but shhhh, no bad words about these or Hasbro will stop making G1 nostalgia stuff! We have to buy them all to support!!!!!  :P

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 06:49:04 AM »

Yeah. I wanted to say Monopony but I realised that might have a different meaning.

...If these were brushy they would be a hard sell for me, but I don't like them moulded.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 07:21:20 AM »
Love the new Twister and Lite Brite ones! I'm going to allow myself one of them.

Now that I'm not buying retail MLP anymore (or at least until pony life is over) I find that I have more Pony Funds! LOL

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »

Yeah. I wanted to say Monopony but I realised that might have a different meaning.
It does. That's the FiM-themed version of Monopoly that Hasbro put out.

...If these were brushy they would be a hard sell for me, but I don't like them moulded.
Yeah, I wish they had brushable hair too.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 10:08:46 AM »
We should all just go and make a petition to reissue them with proper eye placement, maybe when they realize how much it would improve sales they will listen to us.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2020, 05:56:25 AM »
I'm afraid it's a no from me. It feels like the designers saw the final product and said "good enough." The lack of eye sculpting, the elongated muzzle, and the eye placement, just no.

If they test prototypes of the main toys on kids, maybe they should ask collectors for their input as well on the potential products geared towards them. This mold just looks half-baked, especially holding it against an HQ BF remake. Basic Fun shows that it can be done, yet for some reason, Hasbro won't. Oh well, maybe I'm being too picky :)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Well, Basic Fun's goal is to recreate something that already existed. That's easy, you just recreate the same molds. These collector ponies are not trying to recreate something that already existed, they're trying to make something new to attract new collectors.

I agree the eye placement makes them look wonky, but I don't think it's fair to compare these to Basic Fun, who are just doing "copy + paste" on toys made in the 80's.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
Doesn't stop this mold from coming off as inferior to the actual G1 molds (what with its lack of both brushable hair and sculpted eyes; the latter would act as a painting guide). Or excuse the inept placement of the eyes.

And there's not exactly a lot of effort on Hasbro's part here. They created a single earth pony mold (that I'm betting is only one piece) based off the G1 cartoon's standard pony design, said that was good enough for every last one of these crossovers, and then don't pay a whole lot of attention to eye placement when painting it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:25:29 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »
Doesn't stop this mold from coming off as inferior to the actual G1 molds (what with its lack of both brushable hair and sculpted eyes; the latter would act as a painting guide). Or excuse the inept placement of the eyes.

And there's not exactly a lot of effort on Hasbro's part here. They created a single earth pony mold (that I'm betting is only one piece) based off the G1 cartoon's standard pony design, said that was good enough for every last one of these crossovers, and then don't pay a whole lot of attention to eye placement when painting it.

The mould  isn't a bad one at all. I especially like the one with the MLP n Friends sculpted hair, though I am a bit surprised that its not the RMS Earth Pony mould, but yeah the eye wonk is...yick! And I would have liked to have seen the RMS Unicorn, Pegasus and Unipeg mould as well.

Two slightly different moulds make sense for the DnD pack because they want to get the ponies fitting in comfortably, but I personally think Baby Shady- I mean Ghostbuster Pony shoulda been a Pegasus and Twister a Unicorn, whose horn could have been painted like the spinner, or candy-cane striped. Power Ranger coulda been the Unipeg.

Post Merge: July 26, 2020, 04:24:46 PM

I'm afraid it's a no from me. It feels like the designers saw the final product and said "good enough." The lack of eye sculpting, the elongated muzzle, and the eye placement, just no.

If they test prototypes of the main toys on kids, maybe they should ask collectors for their input as well on the potential products geared towards them. This mold just looks half-baked, especially holding it against an HQ BF remake. Basic Fun shows that it can be done, yet for some reason, Hasbro won't. Oh well, maybe I'm being too picky :)

I agree with Dragon Flitter. These aren't G1 Repro moulds and need to be judged on their own merits and flaws.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:03:01 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »
Again here come more moulded, rather than brushable, manes & tails.
And as others are saying, the EYES!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
If these were Customised into brushable Ponies with nice eyes, & yep a horn on the Twister one, I'd get.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
I'm glad they didn't use the Retro Mane Six molds for these, myself. Yeah, those have brushable hair... but they also look more like G3s than G1s and are dwarfed by G1 ponies. These at least can stand with G1s size-wise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal