collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on Vivziepop & Hazbin Hotel?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Vivziepop & Hazbin Hotel?
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »
I didn’t see any topics made about this, but this content creator seems to have amassed a very large and loud following seemingly overnight. I had never heard of this person called “Vivziepop” until I started seeing reviews and reactions to her OC animation, Hazbin Hotel being trending on YouTube a few months back. She also apparently worked on “Helluva Boss” and done animations prior to HH. One thing I person found intriguing is that Silva Hound, a musician that I was familiar with as they once put out some really good g4 fan made tracks/ was part of Vivziepop’s music production team. Wasn’t expecting that!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this Vivziepop person and their animations?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Thoughts on Vivziepop & Hazbin Hotel?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
I like some aspects, don't like others. I don't follow Vivzie too closely but her work is very distinct and I always liked her character design.
I found a lot of the humor in HH to fall very flat for me. Helluva was much, much better as entertainment but still had plenty of jokes that just didn't quite make it. I think I agree with the criticisms that say it sounds like she's just trying to cram as many curses into the runtime as possible...I'd like to see the premises for both series fine-tuned and the scripts smoothed out.
If nothing else, it's impressive to see the pilot made and how much work was put in.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
This artist is involved with a number of controversies that are not appropriate for the Arena, so I'm not even getting into it. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »
This artist is involved with a number of controversies that are not appropriate for the Arena, so I'm not even getting into it.
:P Wasn't gonna mention it but glad to see someone did. It puts me off from her work honestly.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »
not sure what those controversies are, but can discussion about the artist be made without addressing the controversy?

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
I’ve been following her art for a while, as she was one of the YouTubers I looked at in 2016 when trying to pick an art school, and wanted to see what the students produced. I never paid much attention to the controversy, as I simply didn’t want to get involved too much since I often find controversy in art communities hard to follow.
     I enjoy what she has been able to do, since I’ve always thought that I would need to get a company like Disney or Cartoon Network in order to produce my own cartoon. Hazbin hotel is entirely funded by fans, and produced by no company. It’s all freelancers like what I do right now, and will probably do until I land somewhere. I know this is a dream Vivianne Medrano (vivsiepop) has had for a while, and I’m happy to see it come to fruition. It opens up discussions in the animation industry regarding if someone could crowdfund and produce a studio quality animation, let alone a full pilot episode with more on the way.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »
Helluva was much, much better as entertainment but still had plenty of jokes that just didn't quite make it.

Funny, I liked Hazbin better, and thought the humor in Helluva fell flat.  To each their own. 

As a person who enjoys her work but wouldn't call myself a fan, I did casually look into the controversies and have seen no actual evidence that she's problematic, aside from making fan art of two questionable youtubers a few years ago.  She's definitely made adult-themed art, but as far as I can tell hasn't crossed any lines with it such as she's been accused of. 

The fact that she has spearheaded a successful campaign to get professional quality animation produced without a corporation involved is really exciting.  Both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss are really well made and fun to watch.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
Helluva was much, much better as entertainment but still had plenty of jokes that just didn't quite make it.

Funny, I liked Hazbin better, and thought the humor in Helluva fell flat.  To each their own. 

As a person who enjoys her work but wouldn't call myself a fan, I did casually look into the controversies and have seen no actual evidence that she's problematic, aside from making fan art of two questionable youtubers a few years ago.  She's definitely made adult-themed art, but as far as I can tell hasn't crossed any lines with it such as she's been accused of. 

The fact that she has spearheaded a successful campaign to get professional quality animation produced without a corporation involved is really exciting.  Both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss are really well made and fun to watch.
i see Viv praised a lot for “spearheading” good quality  animation like this without a company to back her, but haven’t others done this also?

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »

i see Viv praised a lot for “spearheading” good quality  animation like this without a company to back her, but haven’t others done this also?

Perhaps, but I don’t think any of them have quite made waves like she has. Sure, projects pop up now and again. But the fact she lead the charge and is still running with it is extraordinary granted how saturated the market is for animation. I think a lot of projects like this get one or two episodes then...nothing. But the support seems strong enough here to propel it further than that.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »

Perhaps, but I don’t think any of them have quite made waves like she has. Sure, projects pop up now and again. But the fact she lead the charge and is still running with it is extraordinary granted how saturated the market is for animation. I think a lot of projects like this get one or two episodes then...nothing. But the support seems strong enough here to propel it further than that.
i wasn’t familiar with Viv before I heard about HH. Do you know if she had a large following before it launched, to help boost her popularity and beg her to do more? I’m just curious as to how she was able to become such a Talked about person as soon as HH hit the stage.

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
Vivzie had a substantial following due to her previous work with Zoophobia, the Kesha thing, and the lead-up to HH releasing.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »
Vivzie had a substantial following due to her previous work with Zoophobia, the Kesha thing, and the lead-up to HH releasing.
ok, that makes more sense. Thank you for elaborating.

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »
yeah I've heard of the controversies but. I have made fanart in the past.
https://imgur.com/a/jnQmezy

Offline pawpatrolbab

• Power Puff Pony
  • Never be afraid to be yourself
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 08:15:25 AM »
I think she's always had some sort of internet popularity even before Hazbin Hotel and her other projects
The first time I was introduced to her work was through sketchbook tours her (at the time) University / College proffesor was showing on YouTube
I found the writing on Hazbin Hotel to be all over the place - and the constant obvious changing of art styles between animators was extremely distracting. I heavily preffered Helluva Boss over Hazbin but honestly neither of them made me laugh even once, the humor just isn't my style but I like her art
🌈Wordpress Blog: https://natescoloringbook.wordpress.com/
✨Tumblr Blog: https://crayoncritter.tumblr.com/
I don't have much of a collection anymore due to immigrating but I hope to bring my trade score up so I can participate in the future! Always open and looking to make friends with fellow adults 💙 Please don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
I really liked Hazbin Hotel, I liked Hellava Boss but nowhere near as much as Hazbin (Millie and Moxxie are SUPER CUTE and 'Oh Millie' has been stuck in my head). I also liked 'Addict' the music video, and I've read the prequel comic for Angel Dust.

I've heard mutterings of 'problematic' content and the complaints about Vaggie the character, but quite frankly, I am so sick and tired of people being dragged and called out outside of their medium with no solid evidence so I am not looking into it.

I love Alastor, Nifty is a sweetie, Angel is growing on me, Charlie is too precious for our world, Vaggie needs more love, and I'm not keen on Husker but willing to be proven wrong

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal