collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Second chances for obscure Pony lines  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Second chances for obscure Pony lines
« on: July 16, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »
Because reboots have been gaining popularity for a while now among animated media, I began wondering, what if companies like Hasbro saw the trends and were motivated to dust off and reboot some of their old toylines?  Purely hypothetical- what if some of the more obscure MLP lines- namely Takara ponies (although I believe they might be owned by Sony, now?). Do you think they would benefit from the a redesign? Are they fine with their current design? Why could be done for them to appeal to the kiddos, today? Would they be released again as a Japanese exclusive line? Would they get their own animated series? 

How would you guys consider handling a Takara pony reboot, if you were part of the marketing team being asked to handle these ponies?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:10:25 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Second chances for obscure Pony lines
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
This would be cool. I struggle with reboots, because, for example, the Rainbow Brite and SSK re-designs were pretty awful. Why mess with a classic? Then again, times change, tastes change, trends change. It's fun to see new life breathed into old favorites. The Takara ponies have always had so much potential. I could see an adorable village for them - like Maple Town or Calico Critters.

edit: and she-ra. no, thanks!

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:22:30 PM »
TBH I was never very fond of the idea of rebooting classics.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
Eh to each their own. I'm not interested in Takaras, they look like they're from a completely different toyline altogether. But if you like em that's cool. I'd rather see unmade sets and playsets.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
even if the classic didn’t do well initially, And had an extremely limited and region-locked run, and you had a chance to change it and make it better and more appreciated than before?

Post Merge: July 16, 2020, 03:01:57 PM

Eh to each their own. I'm not interested in Takaras, they look like they're from a completely different toyline altogether. But if you like em that's cool. I'd rather see unmade sets and playsets.
i mean, I get where you’re coming from, because they’re definitely do look definitely non MLP- especially being bipedal and all, but one could also make the argument that Dream Beauties and Newbown Cuties fall into that box, too, since they’re both at polar opposite ends of what one would expect MLP to look like. I’m just saying, Takara’s not the only odd one out.
 Kinda the reason why I’m interested in what people might think would improve upon them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:01:57 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »
even if the classic didn’t do well initially, And had an extremely limited and region-locked run, and you had a chance to change it and make it better and more appreciated than before?

Whenever I see a reboot of something from decades ago, they always try too hard to make it all hip and cool to pander to the new generation, and I find it really annoying. Not to mention that today's world relies too much on reboots instead of creating something original, which I think is also a problem.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 05:30:30 PM »

Post Merge: July 16, 2020, 03:01:57 PM

i mean, I get where you’re coming from, because they’re definitely do look definitely non MLP- especially being bipedal and all, but one could also make the argument that Dream Beauties and Newbown Cuties fall into that box, too, since they’re both at polar opposite ends of what one would expect MLP to look like. I’m just saying, Takara’s not the only odd one out.
 Kinda the reason why I’m interested in what people might think would improve upon them.

Newborn Cuties still has many of the hallmark distinctions of MLP. And the plushies themselves aren't bad looking. 

I'll grant you Dream Beauties. Because that was just Hasbro trying to cash in on Fashion Star Fillies.

If I had to compare Takara to anything at all, it might have a bit of a spiritual descendent in those Tokidoki Unicorno collectibles.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:38:39 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »
The Takara ponies have a different kind of feel to them than regular MLP.  They feel more like the anthro kids shows where the animals are basically treated as straight up humans (I probably think this due to their bipedal nature), rather than our usual MLP where the ponies do more horse-like things.

Because of that, the toys would automatically be more of dolls than animal toys.  I would consider adding other species of animals to the toyline, and reducing the age of some of the target audience.  I always thought Takara ponies looked like toddlers' teething toys, so make some like that, as well as the toys for slightly older kids.  Probably update their facial expressions a bit, too - maybe more expressive eyes.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »
I'll grant you Dream Beauties. Because that was just Hasbro trying to cash in on Fashion Star Fillies.

Now that Hasbro owns Kenner anyway... I will just say that a reboot/dedicated line of FSF/Dream Beauties would be my ultimate fangirl fantasy. :biggrin:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
That would be cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal