collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: There are certain assumptions about pony ears.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
There are certain assumptions about pony ears.
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »
Notice how they're always pointed? I'm surprised at the lack of variation in ear shape and position - for example, I don't see lop eared ponies. Do you? Are they trained this way, like a dog's pointed ears are trained?

Can ponies wiggle their ears?
Can you wiggle yours???  :drunk:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: There are certain assumptions about pony ears.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
*tries to wiggle ears. fails*

Some of the G3s have their ears turned.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »
FiM ponies move their ears down sometimes to show sad or upset emotions.

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
Takara Ponies don't have pointed ears. They're very round, in fact.
But I think the prize for "most pointed pony ears" definitely has to go to the Pony Life ponies. Just look at those things. You can shank someone with one of those ears.

But please do not shank people with your pony toys. XD
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
But I think the prize for "most pointed pony ears" definitely has to go to the Pony Life ponies. Just look at those things. You can shank someone with one of those ears.

Go for the eyes!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
I can move my ears a bit, up and down.  Horses and ponies ears are "stiff" with cartilage (no "training" required), but they have great range of motion with them, being able to lay them flat back to express irritation, and all around to listen in different directions.  They are pretty tolerant of having to bend their ears a bit to get bridles on too. 

I think the Pony Life ponies look ridiculous and very un-pony-like.  I always have trouble drawing horse/pony ears.  I just can never get the shape right.  My horse has neat ears in that they are bay colored like her body but have black ringing them.  Cute and fuzzy too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

Funny, we used to chase and prod with some force the boys who took our ponies and threw them on the school roof. But we used unicorns. Lances are better weapons. Especially if the pony is in Fizzy's pose. (Milky Way is a poor choice, her plastic is soft and it can lead to pony injury).

I digress.

I like that the ponies have alert ears, personally.  I don't think I'd want a lop eared pony. It would be too dog or bunnylike, and I'm not a fan of either species particularly.

Let's not forget MPP's ears moved...didn't they?

(I also can wiggle my ears :D)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
     I am incapable of wiggling my ears I’m afraid. I’d like to though, since I also physically cannot cross my eyes either, and I always thought those traits were pretty funny.
     I don’t think I would enjoy a lop eared bunny-pony, but I would like to see more variety in the ears. Some rounder, some more pointy. I know they are mass produced, so it’s probably not going to happen. But ears on animals are a good way to show emotional states. It would add more personality IMO.

Go for the eyes!

I’ll keep this in mind if I ever have to fight someone for a pony.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
How cool would it be to have some variation in pony ear's shape ? :D For example, ears in the shape of a crescent, just like the real life Marwari horses. :D
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »
I can move my ears a bit, up and down.  Horses and ponies ears are "stiff" with cartilage (no "training" required), but they have great range of motion with them, being able to lay them flat back to express irritation, and all around to listen in different directions.  They are pretty tolerant of having to bend their ears a bit to get bridles on too. 

I think the Pony Life ponies look ridiculous and very un-pony-like.  I always have trouble drawing horse/pony ears.  I just can never get the shape right.  My horse has neat ears in that they are bay colored like her body but have black ringing them.  Cute and fuzzy too.

I love bays. :inlove:

I am incapable of wiggling my ears I’m afraid. I’d like to though, since I also physically cannot cross my eyes either, and I always thought those traits were pretty funny.
     I don’t think I would enjoy a lop eared bunny-pony, but I would like to see more variety in the ears. Some rounder, some more pointy. I know they are mass produced, so it’s probably not going to happen. But ears on animals are a good way to show emotional states. It would add more personality IMO.

Go for the eyes!

I’ll keep this in mind if I ever have to fight someone for a pony.

:lol:

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 05:37:36 PM »
I can move ears, or one at time.

Think all MLP ears ever look, er, off. Now Magic Meadow had PERFECT ears <3 And moved ears? May work.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
I think G3s have a bit of ear variation.  I was giving one a spa day earlier and noticed how her ears were pinned back noticably.  But the other generations don't seem to have anything but "normal" horse ear position...they all have pretty much the same expression within their generation, too, I think?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »

She's a bay tobiano Paint to be exact. :lovey:  She has a black tail and forelock, and white mane.

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »

She's a bay tobiano Paint to be exact. :lovey:  She has a black tail and forelock, and white mane.

Would you mind sharing a picture of your gorgeous girl please?  :lovey:

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »

Would you mind sharing a picture of your gorgeous girl please?  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal