collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Would You Do?: A Bait Buyer’s Brainteaser  (Read 718 times)

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?: A Bait Buyer’s Brainteaser
« on: June 21, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »
I’ve been making custom commissions lately, so last week I made a few purchases to create my stock box so I’m not scouring the web every time I need a pony to work with. One of my purchases was a set with a pink summer wing pony (only one wing) and a Baby Moondancer that had some brown stains on the vinyl. The product description didn’t say anything about the spots, just that the toys were in played-with condition, but I let it slide since they showed the spots in the picture.

Then the ponies arrived. The wing pony was fine, but when I opened up Baby Moondancer for cleaning, it was appauling. Aside from the outer damage from the washer being rusted to a crisp, the insides were thick with rust, crust, and some unidentifiable brown slime. Just to be safe, I’m treating the pony with fungicide in addition to bleach and my normal cleaning routine.

The product was cheap, and they didn’t say that it was in pristine condition, but there was no mention of any of Moondancer’s flaws in the listing. But on the other hand, the flaws were internal, and most buyers aren’t going to open their ponies. But if you’re buying bait, you’re more likely to be a custom artist than a collector...

What would you do if this happened to you?
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: What Would You Do?: A Bait Buyer’s Brainteaser
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
Huh, I wouldn't really mind. Like you said, not every collector will be opening its ponies, so it's not like their fault if they didn't mention that issue. Cleaning and restoring ponies relax me, so getting such a mess would be quite the surprise, but nothing to be upset about. I'd just be glad I would have freed this pony from that slimy mess.

tl;dr : I'd be unfazed.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:45:03 AM »
I usually buy from the arena, so this is a hard one for me.

It is most likely the case that the seller didn't know how gross she was on the inside. You could talk about a (partial) refund if the seller is kind and understanding. personally, I wouldn't do anything and just customise her like you intended. You win some, you lose some. It's up to you however.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
I'd just be glad I would have freed this pony from that slimy mess.

Heh, that's a pretty good way to look at it. Cheers to that!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »
There's nothing to do. You wanted bait ponies, you got em. Sometimes cleaning out ickiness is just par for the course. Perhaps the seller didn't know? Perhaps they were too grossed out to clean it themselves? The one time I had to clean mold out of a pony, I kept taking breaks to keep from puking and desperately wishing someone else could do it. I've cleaned several rusty ponies and felt a sense of accomplishment afterwards. I sympathise with you though. Ponies with goopy innards super-sucks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:26:45 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
I suppose I'm still learning the ins and outs of pony buying. Sometimes those ins are gross-out, y'know? Thanks for letting me know what the normal response to this is, always time to learn

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »
I suppose I'm still learning the ins and outs of pony buying. Sometimes those ins are gross-out, y'know? Thanks for letting me know what the normal response to this is, always time to learn

I suggest soaking your pony's insides in hot water and oxyclean. I would use spare mascara brushes that can be bought in bags in the make up section to scrub her out. I found that pipe cleaners are a little too flimsy.  Don't put the rusty washer back in.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:01:35 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »
LaW, definitely stealing your mascara wand tip!
Not every seller is a collector and does not think to look inside the pony. If you don't mind a scrubbing, you can get rather clean and even quite minty ponies afterwards. I do expect some hidden surprises now and again.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal