collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Guess this is just about my apartment now.  (Read 2024 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Guess this is just about my apartment now.
« on: June 19, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »
I've finally got my own apartment! :biggrin: The only thing is it's on the second floor and there is no elevator. I lived in a second floor apartment when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago and my health isn't the best. The house I currently still live in has a second floor loft area and I have a hard time getting up and down the stairs. Going up isn't too bad but I don't think I could carry anything with both hands and do it. Coming down is... hard. I have to be careful where I look so I don't set off my vertigo and my balance is bad enough on solid ground. I usually take one step at a time.

So living on the second floor is going to be quite the adventure. I'm wondering if anyone has tips or tricks for dealing with stairs?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:45:02 PM by BlackCurtains »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for living on a second story?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:00:53 AM »
This might sound a bit silly, but how about getting a few strong bags with handles for carrying stuff up and down without having to use both hands? And of course taking as few trips as possible.
I feel your pain, disabilities and health problems cause such havoc with things people usually take for granted.
Yay for getting your own space though :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
I've had to lug some stuff up stairs and always found just setting the item on stairs helps. I'm rather weak so I always sit and take a small break if it's super heavy. Backpacks maybe over bags but I think the weight on your back may make your footing unsure, but it would leave your hands free if you need to hold on to the rail.
Congrats on the apartment!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
Oh, gosh, I wish I could be of help. I did live on a second floor apartment a couple of years ago, but I moved out as my ability to walk up/down stairs was deteriorating. I physically can not do stairs anymore two years later. =(

When moving out, my parents helped by hiring movers to take all of the furniture out of the apartment down the stairs.

|My Collection|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
Thanks! I'm excited to finally have my own place. It might seem weird why I would get an apartment on the second floor when I have issues but it wasn't my choice ^^; Nearly 4 years ago I applied for Public Housing/Assistance and I just got to the top of the waiting list and approved! It was the first unit available. I really don't want to wait anymore so I'm taking the chance!

I'll definitely be hiring movers.

This is a terrible time to be moving though. With the pandemic, it being summer in SW Florida and Social Security trying to take my disability away (which my rent for this place is based on). A lot of things are working against me.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
I second the congrats on getting your own space!  You sure deserve some good news  ^.^
Going up the stairs is never fun, as gravity works against you. I have a trick knee and it gives out at the most inopportune times.  Taking them slowly is key and having bags will help to minimize the trips, but make sure to have a lighter one on the arm that is holding onto the railing, and being able to rest the heavier one on the steps with the other arm can help.
I don't know if this suggestion is feasible for your situation, but going down the stairs one by one on your butt is something I have used more then once when I hadn't been feeling the most stable.
Wish I could help with the situations working against your move though   :(

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
I found this, looks handy! Kind of pricey though. I'm not sure if packages are delivered to your door to the place I'm moving to or not. I'll have to ask.

https://www.amazon.com/Shopping-Loading-Capacity-Foldable-Adjustable/dp/B07T63S2WP/ref=psdc_490895011_t1_B016IFUAFA

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
Temperature is in the 100s already! The apartment does have central A/C and it's only 700-something sq feet but being on the second floor also means it's gonna be hotter.

:drunk:

Maybe it won't be so bad, being a small place.

I missed a call from the manager about moving in. I still have a lot of packing to do! After waiting so long things seem to be moving fast now. My anxiety is super high but I'm also excited.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Guess this is just about my apartment now.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Having central air is a luxury not everyone has, enjoy it!  You will be fine in your space  :)

I don't have a lot of advice about the anxiety, but it could be the excitement feeds it sometimes right?   It's a huge change and people normally don't like change, being creatures of habit.

Would it make it any easier on you to make a check list/to do list of the stuff you have left to finish?  The nice thing about lists is the satisfaction you get when you can check it off as done  :lol:

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »
Definitely! I couldn't live here without A/C.

One of the reasons I'm so anxious is because it still doesn't feel real. Like at any moment they'll call and say 'sorry we made a mistake' or that I didn't initial one of the forms so I'm not eligible. I think if I could see the place, I'd feel better. Plus, I just... really wanna see it :lol:

Making a list probably would be helpful. I keep telling myself not forget my towels and sheets in the hall closet, haha.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 10:46:58 PM »
Congrats on the move!

One of my neighbours does all his shopping and such with a suitcase, the small kind you can get on wheels. It depends on your staircase but whether pulling one of those up stairs would be easier than lugging heavy bags...? I wonder. If nothing else you wouldn't be carrying it home as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 02:02:37 AM »
Congrats on your new home! And AC - luxury!!  :frolic:

I find using cotton tote bags with long shoulder straps the best thing. I take them everywhere, when I do groceries, I keep one on-hand and the rest in my car.

Small enough to fold away into a handbag, and easy to hang around your shoulder (or neck, if you need both hands to steady yourself on the stair rail).

Practical, take up little space, easy to store and easy to sew together if you have spare fabric to hand!

:)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »
July 1st at 3pm I get my keys! :cheer:

When the manager said 'move in date' it wasn't literal. It just means signing (more) paperwork, paying my first rent and deposits and getting the keys. Then I can take my time actually moving my stuff in. That makes me feel a lot better.

I was looking at shoulder bags actually. I do use cloth grocery bags already and I have a tool for carrying multiple at once (I always forget to take it with me). See, I don't drive, so I don't have a car to store things in. I used to keep my grocery bags in my dad's car but he kept taking them out.

I'm mostly concerned about boxes. I think I'll end up getting that stair dolly. Maybe I can convince my dad to buy it for me as a housewarming gift :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
Woo! I remember how much fun it was to get my own apartment! I'm so excited for you!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Oh this part ... so fun ... but yes, nerve-wracking!
get all your grocery delivery services going to the new place. :)  maybe your pharmacy delivers? 
stay safe in FL!  I agree that a folding cart or a dolly might be most helpful for move-in. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal