collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Repairing G1 body with epoxie  (Read 921 times)

Offline skyline

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Repairing G1 body with epoxie
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a half-deflocked SS Twilight who has some abrasions on her body that I'm looking to repair using epoxie sculpt, but the more guides I look through, the more confused I get. I'm not sure what brand to use, whether to buy pre-coloured or paint myself to match -- and I can't seem to see any quick and dirty solutions here. Do you guys have preferences/recs you can give me, or at least a guide you've used that you like?

Thanking you for your expertise in advance~!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sig by starscout!

Looking for Lucky Bell’s Musical Dream Pony (Keypers fakie)! PM me if you’re selling !

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing G1 body with epoxie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
The typical apoxy brand is "aves", it comes in two part jars like this

I recommend applying a thin layer over the scrapes and waiting for it dry, then sanding it down flush. Apoxy sculpt is very versatile, but it can be pricey and takes a while to dry. For something small, quick, and dirty, I like using Tamiya molding putty, it works the same and is waaay cheaper. I just wait for it to dry then sand it down.

in either case, it would be easier to color match and paint it after it dries. any pre-color will change color by the time it dries.

wishlist

Offline skyline

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Oh awesome! Thank you ! Gonna try Tamiya I think!!

sig by starscout!

Looking for Lucky Bell’s Musical Dream Pony (Keypers fakie)! PM me if you’re selling !

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
Hey there!  I have never really had good luck using Apoxie Sculpt for this application.  It is hard to get the clay to adhere in such thin coats or shallow areas.  If I am successful, it also requires too much clay and too much sanding.  For large areas, missing ears/limbs, etc., it is great though! 

For small scrapes, nicks, chew marks, etc., I use gap filling hobby super glue.  This is the type of glue that is used in model making to fill gaps and seams from fitting pieces together.  It dries/sets slower than regular super glue. 

Just put a little drop on (apply with a toothpick for more control), let it cure, and sand lightly.  I then buff the area with nail buffer to "shine" the vinyl back up.  Then dab a tiny amount of paint over it with a fine tip brush and maybe even hit it with a little Testors dull cote.  Good luck! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Insta-Cure-Filling-Bob-Smith-Ind/dp/B0000DD1QQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=gap+filling+glue&qid=1593121968&sr=8-2
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
Hey there!  I have never really had good luck using Apoxie Sculpt for this application.  It is hard to get the clay to adhere in such thin coats or shallow areas.  If I am successful, it also requires too much clay and too much sanding.  For large areas, missing ears/limbs, etc., it is great though! 

For small scrapes, nicks, chew marks, etc., I use gap filling hobby super glue.  This is the type of glue that is used in model making to fill gaps and seams from fitting pieces together.  It dries/sets slower than regular super glue. 

Just put a little drop on (apply with a toothpick for more control), let it cure, and sand lightly.  I then buff the area with nail buffer to "shine" the vinyl back up.  Then dab a tiny amount of paint over it with a fine tip brush and maybe even hit it with a little Testors dull cote.  Good luck! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Insta-Cure-Filling-Bob-Smith-Ind/dp/B0000DD1QQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=gap+filling+glue&qid=1593121968&sr=8-2

I'm not OP but I was looking around for an answer about filling in chew marks in particular and this is what I needed! Thank you!

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal