collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Summer in the shadow of the coronavirus  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Bright_Glow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Summer in the shadow of the coronavirus
« on: June 17, 2020, 12:04:54 PM »
In the daily news, we can see sneak peeks how the beaches and hotels try tho do their best to win the tourists and save their tourism but what's the trend in the summer camp's front around the world, especially for the ones for kids? I guess Hungary isn't the only country where many parents (who still haven't lost their job yet) have already spent their leave away days (or how do you say it) during the lockdown so they'll have to work all summer.

Well as I hear both daycare camps and sleepaway camps are allowed but there will be much fewer camps than last year.
Many governments going to make daycare camps for poor people's children but even in other camps, the daycare camps will be the most common ones. I also heard that many nomad camps will be lunch.

What's your own vacation plan?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS and Valerie for my avie and sigs

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Summer in the shadow of the coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
My and my family always head out to some North Carolinian beaches each summer, and we still plan to do so in about a week. This isn't a hotel though, this is a house that's rented and cleaned after each rental. The beaches are usually spread out there just because most of the beachgoers have a rented house, but we will see some of the July 4th crowd so I'm curious how that will go.
Nothing else planned beyond that, though. Right now I just go to the thrift store weekly.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
Unfortunately I don't tend to get a summer because I work in crop breeding and I don't have kids, so I haven't really got any plans. I wish I did though! I get really nostalgic about my summers from before and really feel for everyone missing out as in not by choice, especially the kids.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:40:21 AM »
Most hotels here will NOT accept foreigners, so I can't really go anywhere. Yet the government of China claims it is against the law to discriminate against us, there really isn't anything we can do about it.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »
The UK isn't opening the hospitality sector until July at the earliest. There are still disputes over the 2m rule over arguments removing it will help the hospitality sector...but I want them to keep it because scientifically it works to save people's lives and that's more important :P. Beaches are open though and in England there is no limit on how far you can drive to an outside place, gathering outside with proper distancing precautions is all right (in groups of 6 or own households). But you have to be able to drive. I can't navigate, so don't. The nearest beaches to here are Wales, anyway, and Wales is not welcoming people over the border at the moment.

For our family the shielding rules apply - until the end of June, certainly, but from the scientists, probably into July. I was originally planning on taking some time in North Wales this summer (before Covid happened) as it's easier to get to from here than from where I was in London, but Wales' lockdown is stricter than in England and frankly I don't want to travel much at the moment, not until I have a better sense that things are really well controlled.

People coming into the UK are expected to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks albeit they are trying to work out travel corridors.

But eh, you know, they've got the football back on. Priorities ne.

I think summer here will be localised tbh. I don't know about summer stuff for kids or any of those things, but while things like zoos and safari parks are allowed to open, theme parks I think are still facing some questions and hotels etc are completely out until July at the soonest.

And with mum's shielding, we won't be going anywhere this summer.

Honestly I'm more fussed about if and when I will be able to look for a job and move back south again, since the timing of this disrupted my postdoc hunting and most of them are cancelled or settled a long time back for this year.

Or some other option, but looking at funding for Japan right now is questionable since they aren't letting people from the UK in at present ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:25:23 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
The best vacation to me is staying home and staying off of my feet, so COVID hasn't changed my plans, and in fact, has made things better for me as I got to leave my job that was hurting me so badly.

|My Collection|

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:06:47 AM »
Not really vacation soo much as watching and seeing if my wedding will go through, or if it will be pushed back again ^^'

I hear campgrounds are opening back up--with restrictions though so for those that go that's welcome news :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
My husband and I haven't gotten to go on a real vacation since 2008 so *shrugs* =/ We may have finally gotten to this year because our own health issues hadn't eaten up all our PTO for once but then the whole world started having health issues with the pandemic so we still can't. People I know have gone on vacation and it's their decision but a risky one in my opinion.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »
Not really vacation soo much as watching and seeing if my wedding will go through, or if it will be pushed back again ^^'

I hear campgrounds are opening back up--with restrictions though so for those that go that's welcome news :)

Ah, that sucks :( I hope it can be sorted out for you.

My PhD graduation was also a victim of the crisis. But my college has said they will hold extra next year for this year's graduands to have a ceremony.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
I generally don't plan much during the summer anyway.  Spring and fall are my normal travel times.

But, covid has really forced my family and I apart as we don't want to get sick.  I'm a little amazed that even though covid is spreading rapidly, my state is still opening things up.  It makes it hard to explain to my niece why we still have to play it safe.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 02:21:50 AM »
I haven't had a vacation for years. Hot weather is miserable for me do I'll be doing what I do every summer trying to stay cool with my not very effective window ac, staying inside and taking allery pills.  XD

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
I am planning to take a break for a week between July and August but I'll just spend it home as always so Coronavirus doesn't really bother me here (not to mention I haven't even checked any updates in over three weeks now, so sometimes I even forget it exists)
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline RLisa

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
I'm planning to spend my vacation within my country, only 2h of travelling to a not so crowded sea :) It seems like covid infections are cooling down here. So travelling that way shouldn't be more risky than doing groceries at my local supermarket.

Ah, that sucks :( I hope it can be sorted out for you.

My PhD graduation was also a victim of the crisis. But my college has said they will hold extra next year for this year's graduands to have a ceremony.

I second that, hopefully you can enjoy your wedding soon.

And congrats Taffeta on finishing your PhD! Hope it will be a great ceremony next year.
At my university they're now doing online defenses and ceremonies, that doesn't seem very festive to me.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 06:58:45 PM »
I luckily live right near a beach so I'll probably be doing plenty of that. I was looking forward to going to a few music festivals before Covid cancelled them but hey at least I still have the beach.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
I took a long weekend and flew out to LA recently. Other than that, sticking close to home. We are planning out a couple of day road trips for places closer to home that we can escape to for a little while

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal