collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do you prefer your ss ponies: So soft or deflocked?

So soft
20 (28.6%)
Deflocked
16 (22.9%)
Depends on the pony
9 (12.9%)
Depends on the flocking
25 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: So soft or Deflocked?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So soft or Deflocked?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »
I only like so softs if they're pristine. Otherwise I prefer them deflocked. If I ever get one with so-so flocking, I'd probably pass it along to another collector, because if it's not completely destroyed I don't have the heart to deflock them, with the exception of the couple childhood ponies that have mediocre flocking, but I can't part with.

I have 2 Ribbons, one almost mint and one deflocked. The deflocked one was disgusting when I got her (looked like she lived in a room with a chainsmoker for 3 decades) and I had no qualms about releasing her from her nasty brownish fur and exposing the beautiful blue that she was underneath.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 12:58:38 AM »
I think flocking is lovely, but I didn't grow up with it. It's on my list of things that aren't essential for me and are also difficult to maintain in good condition so I avoid them. I do however de-flock ponies since I have found Paradise, Lofty, Angel, Twilight and Good Wishes with terrible flocking so i decided to remove it. I really like those ponies and wanted to own them, so this seemed like a good way. Also there are a lot of Pegasus in this set and G1 as a whole is lighter on Pegasus compared to Earth and Unicorn ponies. Where there are Movie versions or 'ordinary' versions I have those in my collection instead.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 01:30:20 AM »
I'm not keen on flocked ponies, they look strange to me. But at the same time I would feel guilty deflocking them unless they were totally beyond redemption. I've only ever deflocked one SS pony: a Lofty that was nearly bald anyway. I've been looking on and off for years for a Ribbon that I wouldn't feel guilty about deflocking....

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 02:30:41 AM »
On balance where ponies have a regular version and a SS version, I mostly prefer the regular version.

In terms of deflocks, it's about the only form of customisation I allow in my collection, but the flocking has to be really wrecked first. And I wouldn't deflock a pony that has a regular version that's basically the same because it's pointless. It's easier to get the regular version here for all of those bar Truly/Cupcake, and I don't want to add to any confusion about what version of the pony it is.

With Ribbon and Lofty, I think they should have regular versions, so I prefer the deflocked versions of those two over the SS, although I have no intention of deflocking my very pretty SS Lofty. Ditto for Paradise, who was one of my really wanted ponies as a kid, albeit in her case I prefer the Brazilian one as she's a genuine regular version.  I like SS Paradise but she doesn't have the same lure for me because SS ponies didn't exist in my childhood.

I think I have Ribbon, Fifi, Hippety Hop and Twilight deflocked. All of them had seriously wrecked flocking.

I love mint SS ponies. And would never deflock them.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:32:36 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 02:21:49 AM »
Flocking feels gross and looks ugly to me. I only deflock balding so softs though.

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 06:51:34 AM »
I love the flocking of a mint SS, but that's usually not the case of lots of SS's and it also hides some of the most brillant coloured ponies ever (Twist for example).

I have a full collection each of SS and deflocked to satisfy both urges (except ponies that came with a NSS version already like Gusty).

I only deflocked ponies that had no hope in being saved. It all started when I was giving my new baity condition Wind Whistler a wash and the flocking started sloughing off.

Once I saw how pretty her colour was, then I knew I wanted a deflocked SS of every pony in my collection.

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
There's tons of ponies out there that are not flocked, so it makes flocked ponies special IMO... It breaks my heart to see deflocked ponies -- with the exception of those that are ~completely~ ruined. (I don't think a few minor rubs = ruined).

From a logical point of view I totally get this. There are hundreds of ponies without flocking, if you don't like it why not focus on those instead rather than deflock the ones that exist?

But on an emotional level I also get why people like deflocks. These are the characters featured in several cartoon episodes and books that so many of us became attached to as kids, whether we owned the toys of them or not. And if you didn't grow up with SoSoft ponies or didn't like the flocking even back then, it can be very satisfying to own a beloved character as the regular type of pony you're also nostalgic for. When I see photos of deflocked Ribbon it just awakens something in me! :biggrin: Even characters that weren't on the cartoon I think are very appreciated because they are in the classic MLP style, but some of them have very unique color schemes that there aren't really any substitutes for.

I think SoSofts are lovely when the flocking is in mint condition, but I decided to not collect them since flocked ponies were not a part of my childhood. The only deflock I own is Paradise (bought already deflocked), because she was absolutely necessary for me to have in that form to go with PE. There are others that I'm tempted to search out deflocks for, but most of the characters I want are already available in non-flocked versions so I'm pretty pleased with just collecting those.

It's pretty fascinating how popular and sought after deflocked ponies are by collectors. Imagine if people wanted de-Twinkle Eyes or de-tinseled Princess Ponies at the same rate! For the sake of preservation I guess it's good that doesn't happen with most other sets! :lol:

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »
They're just ordinary ponies without the flocking, so I'm personally all for So Softs. I love them when their flocking is mint and thick, I think they look fuzzy and adorable. That said, if the flocking is in terrible condition, I think de-flocking is great. The ponies get a second chance and they really do look amazing. I only have one de-flock, and she sold me on them completely. But ONLY if the flocking is in extremely poor condition. Recently saw someone deflock a beautiful and flawless Crumpet - it made me very sad.

Offline StillandSilent

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
Depends on the pony.   I would prefer Skippity-Doo without the flocking, because it hides her symbol.   I like Buttons better with.  I'm not a fan of the darker ponies like Twist or Best Wishes deflocked, because their colors are so loud underneath. 

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
My preference wasn’t in the poll ;) I love both! I have a full set of So Softs and I adore them. I also want a full set of the deflocked ponies as well :) Although I’m not after deflocked versions of ponies that already have a non so soft version.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 05:08:53 AM »
My preference wasn’t in the poll ;) I love both! I have a full set of So Softs and I adore them. I also want a full set of the deflocked ponies as well :) Although I’m not after deflocked versions of ponies that already have a non so soft version.

I totally should have added that option. Woops  :blush:

I can see the appeal of nss as well. Good luck collecting them all.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:35 AM »
As a kid, I remember seeing a new, flocked G1 in its packaging in a shop, thinking to myself, hmm, not too sure if I like the look of them? Perhaps it was because the eyelashes were hidden, I have always admired standard G1 eye designs, I find them so pretty. 

As an adult, I have a few SS in my collection, (I love the green/white/melon theme of Scrumptious) not in the best condition but they are a novelty and, surprisingly, my kid thinks they are amazing!

I did purchase a very tatty Paradise from E-B USA a couple of years ago and lovingly removed her yellowed, stained and patchy flocking. I was amazed at how white and clean she was underneath! However, the effort taken to do a good job of removing all the glue whilst protecting her symbols etc... I suppose it was a labour of love and I am in no great hurry for a repeat exercise - unless a balding Angel came my way and wanted some TLC!  ;)

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »
I prefer them with near mint flocking.

Yep, this is me! I like my SS ponies w/nice flocking too. I've been following @blazenheartcustoms on ig and WHOA there are some exciting restorations happening...check out #savethesosofts
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline StillandSilent

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »

It's pretty fascinating how popular and sought after deflocked ponies are by collectors. Imagine if people wanted de-Twinkle Eyes or de-tinseled Princess Ponies at the same rate! For the sake of preservation I guess it's good that doesn't happen with most other sets! :lol:
I would actually be pretty happy to see a Non-Twinkle eye version of the set!   I love a lot of the ponies, but I'm meh on the Twinkle eyes.   They look buggy and gimmicky to me, and I would love to see their eyes be normal

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2020, 09:29:44 PM »

I would actually be pretty happy to see a Non-Twinkle eye version of the set!   I love a lot of the ponies, but I'm meh on the Twinkle eyes.   They look buggy and gimmicky to me, and I would love to see their eyes be normal

Same here. I always thought they looked kind of demon-like and soulless with those pupil-less eyes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal