Creativity > Customs

Help with paint and sealing

(1/4) > >>

Kaeldre:
Many moons ago, I made custom ponies for myself and my hubby.  At the time, I thought they were awesome but, after digging them out and looking at them now, I definitely could have done a better job.  Both were painted with paintbrushes and were sealed with glossy Mod Podge (also with paintbrushes).  Maybe it's the type/quality of the brushes I used, but the Mod Podge has brush streaks.  Also, I'm guessing it's because I used glossy rather than matte Mod Podge, they have dust and hairs stuck to the.

I see so many custom ponies on here with even paint and sealant application-- Is there something I could have done differently?  Should I invest in an inexpensive airbrush?  Will post pics later when I have access to them.

BlackCurtains:
Mod Podge is a terrible sealer (it's basically just glue). If you can find Testor's Dullcote, use that instead. It's a spray sealant and doesn't go tacky is applied right. Glossy is usually used for eyes and symbols and scultped parts if they're meant to have a wet look. Matte or Satin is better for FBR.

To keep brushstrokes to a minimum it's best to use very thin layers of paint on top of each other after each one dries. Some people have good results using make-up sponges instead of brushes. You don't necessarily need an airbrush :)

Kaeldre:

--- Quote from: BlackCurtains on June 15, 2020, 06:37:30 AM ---Mod Podge is a terrible sealer (it's basically just glue). If you can find Testor's Dullcote, use that instead. It's a spray sealant and doesn't go tacky is applied right. Glossy is usually used for eyes and symbols and scultped parts if they're meant to have a wet look. Matte or Satin is better for FBR.

To keep brushstrokes to a minimum it's best to use very thin layers of paint on top of each other after each one dries. Some people have good results using make-up sponges instead of brushes. You don't necessarily need an airbrush :)

--- End quote ---

Fantabulous!  Thanks for the tips!  I don't remember where I saw Mod Podge being recommended as a sealer, but I remember not thinking too much about it at the time.

Do you know of Mod Podge is water soluble?  I'd like to try and clean the dust off of my hubby's custom.

BlackCurtains:
It was a commonly used as a sealer for quite a few years but more people started using Dullcote or Mr. Super Clear (I have no experience with that one) instead. Mod Podge is okay for some projects, it does well with paper for example, but isn't that great for ponies.

It is indeed water soluble.

Kaeldre:

--- Quote from: BlackCurtains on June 15, 2020, 07:09:25 AM ---It was a commonly used as a sealer for quite a few years but more people started using Dullcote or Mr. Super Clear (I have no experience with that one) instead. Mod Podge is okay for some projects, it does well with paper for example, but isn't that great for ponies.

It is indeed water soluble.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think I made these in 2011 and that was the recommended sealer at the time.

Aww, poo.  That's what I thought.  Will have to find a water-free way to clean these.  Thank you again! <33

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version