collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Edit: BEWARE OF THIS SCAM! Big G1 Lot Is Making The Rounds  (Read 2139 times)

Offline MyLittleMillennial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing G1 find IF you live in Montreal
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 03:12:47 AM »
According to a Canadian MLP Collector Facebook group I'm on, this is a scam. The same person has several accounts under different names and every so often posts the same lots for sale. It's been reported to kijiji and the police.

Wow thank you for following up! I just saw an IG post warning about this exact lot as an eBay scam. I’ll modify this post so it’s a warning not a lure. Thank you everyone for all the sleuthing and support!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: Edit: BEWARE OF THIS SCAM! Big G1 Lot Is Making The Rounds
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 03:47:17 AM »
Good to know this is a scam. I reported them on kijiji. Let's all do that to stop this evil person.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 08:02:25 AM »
What a lovely picture, a shame it's a scam.
That's a really great point! I will say the seller was quite terse with me. They never told me how much they wanted. Only said they didn't have PayPal and then turned down a money order as well. Seems a bit odd if the image is hosted on eBay.
This bit about refusing the money is weird, was it meant to be an in-person scam?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
According to a Canadian MLP Collector Facebook group I'm on, this is a scam. The same person has several accounts under different names and every so often posts the same lots for sale. It's been reported to kijiji and the police.

Wow thank you for following up! I just saw an IG post warning about this exact lot as an eBay scam. I’ll modify this post so it’s a warning not a lure. Thank you everyone for all the sleuthing and support!

I'm glad you did that, since it does seem questionable to have such a UK lot in Canada. Not impossible but you know.

It's great the network this community has to warn each other <3.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
Oh I didn't even see the part where he turned down PayPal and money orders!
I'm trying to think of what could possibly be the motive there, then. He's not just trying to take the money and run...

Is he maybe trying to lure people into meeting up with malicious intent...? That's pretty freaky to think about, but why would he be doing it with ponies of all things??
That's a pretty niche market.

So bizarre..!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline MyLittleMillennial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
It's great the network this community has to warn each other <3.

Yes! :lovey: One of the best parts about the MLP community.

Also in terms of refusing PayPal, I was told by a collector on IG that it’s because PayPal has buyer protections. Seems like they’re going after bank transfers and maybe smaller services like Venmo. Still surprised the person didn’t try to get money from me somehow.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »
Money orders have no protection either though? That's the part that strikes me, usually they encourage them!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 10:55:54 PM »
That doesn't really surprise me, but I'm wondering what this person would have done if somebody went to pick them up. Surely they must have realised a buyer would check if all the ponies listed were actually there? And if they only have half of the ponies listed (or none at all), why would they expect the buyer paying them for a non-existing lot in person? That scam would have been much easier with an online sale: receive the money, then just not send anything.  :what:

What I'm hearing is he's asking for email money transfers and then not shipping the items. 2 people in the group got scammed and the same lots they thought they were getting got posted again. And the lady that contacted the police has found 6 other people scammed by this guy in other toy collector groups, WWE, Star Wars, Transformers and MLP. I don't know every detail since the people who were scammed are working on it outside of the group but it was discussed on the group a bit, looking for anyone else that was scammed and asking for everyone to report the ad.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »
That doesn't really surprise me, but I'm wondering what this person would have done if somebody went to pick them up. Surely they must have realised a buyer would check if all the ponies listed were actually there? And if they only have half of the ponies listed (or none at all), why would they expect the buyer paying them for a non-existing lot in person? That scam would have been much easier with an online sale: receive the money, then just not send anything.  :what:

What I'm hearing is he's asking for email money transfers and then not shipping the items. 2 people in the group got scammed and the same lots they thought they were getting got posted again. And the lady that contacted the police has found 6 other people scammed by this guy in other toy collector groups, WWE, Star Wars, Transformers and MLP. I don't know every detail since the people who were scammed are working on it outside of the group but it was discussed on the group a bit, looking for anyone else that was scammed and asking for everyone to report the ad.

Ouch.  Great detective work everyone!  It's always a red flag when they want an E-Transfer. 
I only accept E-transfers from other MLPArena members and actual family members. 
Cash only for local marketplace
Credit card through Paypal if given the option
Credit card if they accept it directly
Paypal is usually my last option since it has such little protection when compared to my CC

*sigh*  another reason to watermark one's sales pictures!  you wouldn't think you have to, but here is this guy, stealing images and money...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:32:48 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »

Oh, ok, so that's how they are doing it. I think I read somewhere that the seller is only doing local pickups, that's why I was wondering how he would have been able to successfully scam a buyer that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal