collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony mane massacres  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Pony mane massacres
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:21:54 PM »
What is the worst condition pony mane that you have ever come across? Share your horrid stories that would make Rarity running for the hills!

I thought the worst pony mane I had ever dealt with was Scoops who had been given a very close shave buzzcut, but no. No, no, no. I happened to get sweet little Wave Catcher today, and her hair looked fine- nicely braided and in fair condition. But once I got her out the bag and unbraided her hair...all hell broke loose. Or rather, all hair broke loose. Oh. My. God, did it break, and kept on breaking! I thought that it was strange, seeing little fuzz pieces that I thought were just the ends start flaking off. I gave her some vigorous shakes and a few good smacks to her hair, thought that was the end of it.

Boy, was I wrong! Once I started giving her a good thorough scrub over with a soft toothbrush and then tackling brushing out her hair with the same brush- as I do with every pony that comes home from the thrift- I watched in absolute horror as the brush gobbled up the orange streaks in her mane, as if it was a razor. After half of her orange streaks were gone, I just decided to quit altogether and leave her to dry before she wound up completely bald. I have no earthly idea what I’m going to be doing with what’s left of her once beautiful locks.

Just what the heck?!

Omg, my poor Wave Catcher. What did your previous owner do you you, my poor girl?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:30:24 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Pony mane massacres
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »
Hair rot is one of the horrible blights of G3 :/

Poor pony.

There are some colours and some ponies especially susceptible to it.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 11:09:22 PM »
Yep hair rot . Poor girl...

Offline MilkyDreams

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:20 PM »
I had seen a pony which I liked, so I bought her, since she was cheap, and added her to my squad. When I got her however, she wasn’t even the right pony. She was a G3 instead of a G1, and she had bites all over her, but I know this post was called “Pony Mane Massacres”, so, it turns out, this pony had no mane! She was completely bald!

I tried to get a refund for this pony, and I can’t remember if I ever did. Newbie collector me should have seen the suspicion, but unfortunately, she didn’t.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 05:21:08 AM »
I got a Rosedust this year in a lot for a good price. And quickly found out why. Her wing tabs were missing, her neck gouged and glued and her hair was white, dry and tangled. Conditioning it didn't help. Softening didn't help. I tried to brush it out and pulled big chunks of her tail so I stopped. I sent her off yesterday to someone looking for bait.

My MO Starhopper-I was so thrilled to find her and so in love that I literally did not see that she had a mohawk. Love really is blind sometimes hahaha. Sent her off to be rehaired. Had rusty insides too. It was gross.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 06:19:29 AM »
Lots of my ponies are rerooted, because they came with buzz cuts...

My most recent one was Sweet notes, her pink streak was gone. It wasn't included in the description but she was only 6 bucks so I didn't really mind. Now she has a new, long, soft pink streak.

There was also Stripes, who's pink curl was so frizzed up and damaged I had to reroot her. It looks so much better then the unsalvageable mess that it was before.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
I've been working on trying to fix a long-haired version of Medley for a while now. She doesn't seem to have a forelock (does anyone have this version of her who can confirm this?), just a few broken off strands in the front of her mane. My standard-length Medley does have an actual forelock, so I'm not sure if this one is supposed to or not.

Her mane came terribly frizzed, and I've gotten most of the frizz out with a curling iron, but the hair near the roots is weird...it's like it's permanently kinked and some is broken off and frizzy, which is strange, because usually the ends are the worst.

Yesterday I popped her head off, since I was cleaning her out and swapping out her tail for a donor tail due to tail rust anyway, and I figured I'd take the opportunity to try to fuse the mane hair closer to the roots than I could reach with the curling iron while her head was attached to her body. It's better, but I decided to change the way the hair lays (basically change her display side) to cover up the way it kinks up near the roots.

I suppose I could reroot her at some point, but it's frustrating that I would pay more to get her extra-long mane version, only to rip her original hair out, so I'm hoping once I unwrap her today after she dries she looks acceptable.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 07:13:18 AM »

I suppose I could reroot her at some point, but it's frustrating that I would pay more to get her extra-long mane version, only to rip her original hair out, so I'm hoping once I unwrap her today after she dries she looks acceptable.

That does seem like a shame, I hope it works out for you.
Lover of Windwhistler

Online tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 07:56:34 AM »
I had one of the Divine Shines in my to-clean bag for forever (the orange one? I can't say I care about them enough to remember names...) and her red hair ripped out leaving only her tinsel.
I also bought a Jazz Matazz from an arena member a bit back but her hair snapped off as soon as she was in my hand...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
Not mane, but tail. I had purchased a Princess Royal purple from my favourite antique shop, and the tail was all braided together. I took the braid apart to wash her, and the same thing happened to me. I don’t think it was rot though, more just an unfortunate scissor accident. So now she has fluffy eyelashes that look more like thick angry eyebrows and a squeaky bum. Far cry from the princess she was...
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Skandalous

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
I bought a huge lot of G2s once and found that about 80% of them had this weird white filmy substance on them that had dried powdery. It dulled all the eye-gems, stripped any tinsel, and stiffened all their manes from the roots. Try as I might, I couldn’t get the stuff out of seams and to this day it’s still there :( I ended up having to find replacement ponies.
:rainbow:Skandy's G2 Wishlist:rainbow:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
I have a plush Blossom, and her mane and tail are so matted and frizzed together they feel like loofahs >_< Sadly, I really don’t think I can brush it out.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 11:22:53 AM »
I have a plush Blossom, and her mane and tail are so matted and frizzed together they feel like loofahs >_< Sadly, I really don’t think I can brush it out.
oh man. I have had a few ponies with hair like that, and no amount of conditioning or brushing or flat ironing could fix it. Seems like it’s usually (for me, anyway) happening to the smaller, Mc Donald’s sized ponies. But as you said, it happens to plushies too, which is just as bad.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
My Fizzy :yikes:
Inka Dinka Doo

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »
I have a wild hair rot G3 story.  I have a Sparkleworks I, and she has that plastic tinsel hair that usually breaks off.  Instead, all the PINK hair rotted out and now she has just a tinsel mane.  It's so weird...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal