collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Collectors who collect non-nostalgically?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Collectors who collect non-nostalgically?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
I'm a G3 kid, and when I got back into MLP with FIM in 2014, I read about the G1s that inspired Lauren Faust to create the mane six, and really liked their designs, so I spent hours browsing the My Little Wiki looking at all the G1s they made. I think what draws me to them are their simple yet unique color schemes, their sweet faces, and their soft and thick hair, and just the fact that I love everything 80s. As much as I love G3 and 4, I think G1s just have a very timeless feel, their rosy cheeks, soft painted eyes and the whole rainbowy meadow aesthetic they have just give an air of innocence. It also doesn't hurt that they smell really nice.  :P

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »
Every G1 pony is shaped like a friend

This is true and I want this on a t-shirt.

It's interesting for me to hear how many other collectors got into G1 for their design/aesthetic, it really does it for me too.
s much as I love G3 and 4, I think G1s just have a very timeless feel, their rosy cheeks, soft painted eyes and the whole rainbowy meadow aesthetic they have just give an air of innocence. It also doesn't hurt that they smell really nice.  :P
You def hit the nail on the head!

Now I collect to photograph them. I prefer to find them in the wild because honestly the fun for me is the hunt and the cleaning.

This too! I forgot to mention cleaning and restoration in my original post. I love the before and after, and photographing my collection.

So I guess the short answer is, my love for G1 is motivated mostly by love for them, partly by spite. Jokes on you, mum and ex-stepdad, ya jerks.
:hug: I'm so sorry your childhood collection was taken from you like that. I'm happy that G1 is a source of happiness for you :heart:

I honestly didn't expect so many responses, I kind of figured that I was an outlier and I love reading all your stories about how you got into G1!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline ShayminMarx

• Teeny Tiny Pony
  • "Catch a kite, and you catch a wish!"
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr: runaway-rainbow
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
I grew up with G3 and my love for MLP got reignited when FiM came out, but I was never really into the older generations until a friend of mine got me into G1. I ended up doing more research into the older gens and I fell in love with G1s and G2s!

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
I find it interesting that so many people said the large quantity of ponies was a key factor. As a younger collector I remember this was one of the things I found intimidating about MLP. Does anyone have a planned end goal for the collection?

I'm not a set-completer so I can't speak for any completionist collectors out there, but I think the large number of ponies out there just gives me more to know about the franchise and more designs to choose from when adding to my collection. I find the amount of different gimmicks in G1 fun, as well as the near-lack of design repeats compared to later gens that focused more on characters.

Tbh I don't have an end goal, but admire those who are more organized about it :P I just pick up ones that I like!

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »
I just want to say as an oldie who was there from the very start of G1 I love hearing all your stories  ^.^ it warms my heart to hear such beautifully said things.
I think if mlp surpassed my era say if they were raggedy ann style, wooden or tin toys or even wined-up I would collect them   :biggrin: becuase they would be mlp and there would be some type majesticness to them  :satisfied:

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 06:32:50 AM »
I'm younger than what I would say was the original group of collectors, who were kids that grew up with G1. I never owned G1, and while I did watch G1 on VHS at the time, I technically grew up in the age of G3. I never owned G3 either if I'm being honest, since I liked the G1 show better...but I did have a pair of knockoffs, one of which was in the original G1 mold. I was too young at the time to understand that my fake was in fact not a real, genuine G1 pony since I did not grow up with G1 in stores, haha. I did watch G4 as a teen, and after several years of enjoying it into adulthood I rediscovered my fakies that I thought I had donated years ago stored away. That's what reignited my collecting of fakies and now G1, though I have a handful of G3 and G4 as well!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
Me! Even though they were around when I was little.  I only wanted sea ponies.  I never watched the tv series and only saw the movie because my mom rented it for me.  So I don't even remember the few I had as a kid.

Offline MilkyDreams

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »
I didn’t grow up with any MLPs, and I’m not old enough to remember G1. For me, I like G1s because they are so much more interesting than the G4s. There’s so much to learn about them, and I feel like I can treat them like real ponies.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 03:32:21 PM »
I like g1 because they have nice hair and squishy and variety
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal