collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Buy Before July: International Shipping Rate Raise Coming  (Read 1266 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Buy Before July: International Shipping Rate Raise Coming
« on: June 12, 2020, 02:30:00 PM »
It doesn't matter where you're shopping.
But if it's going TO the USA from China or coming FROM the USA to elsewhere in the world there's a rate hike coming that nobody's talking about yet, and it's bad news. I know there are people from everywhere here so if you're planning to buy or trade ponies here or anywhere else do it NOW in June before the hikes hit.

I just found out about it at
https://www.mytotalretail.com/article/cross-border-postal-rates-will-increase-on-july-1/#ne=0065d23431c01fcbd798f468b360e9ac&utm_source=total-retail-report&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2020-06-11

So like.......tell EVERY one, get on Facebook or something because 100% rise is bad news bears for anyone involved seller or buyer--but especially here because of trading. I LOVE trading ponies and will trade with anywhere, I don't want it to get harder to do.
You can also bet the evening news isn't going to cover this on TV because the virus has made all countries to be "not in a good place right now" economically, and also that with the virus around shipping things to homes to stay safe is also really important......so now is the opposite of 'an ok time' to jump the rates up on everybody when they need it more than ever and are also least-able to pay it.

They're only supposed to do such things in January of the new year, so I know that traders here and sellers aren't expecting it so close deals before July 1st if possible and spread the word all over the place because this has the potential to make things difficult.

So buying Chinese things off ebay, wish, alibaba fakies and silly stuff, all stuff like that is likely to get hit a lot--and that includes craft supplies and materials too it's not just ponies. Also loads of people trade with Canada and have friends and stuff so maybe prep the holiday/Christmas packages early if possible and get them out because 50% higher is no joke.

What about big stuff?
You'll see mentioned 4.4 lb or less, but it doesn't say what if it's big? Like you were get 10 pound thing? I don't know/the article doesn't say. I don't know if there's anything we can do to stop it. But since this does affect us...its better to know ahead of time.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Buy Before July: International Shipping Rate Raise Coming
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 02:37:11 PM »
Eek, good thing I ordered some stuff a bit ago from Ali, maybe I should place another order.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »
*facepalm*  this has all been in the works for awhile!  GAH
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »
I hate to say this, but I'm not completely opposed to some of this. SOME of it.

There's something very wrong when I can buy things from China for $1 or even $5 including shipping , and shipping costs within the US start at $3.80 for like 2oz to mail to a city thats 20 minutes away...

Remind me again why we subsidize so much for China?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »

So that corporations with large, large market-shares who need these imports as supplies can get them at lower cost I suppose ;)  But we're here for PONIES! not economics!  XD
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »
Agaaain? Ugh
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »

So that corporations with large, large market-shares who need these imports as supplies can get them at lower cost I suppose ;)  But we're here for PONIES! not economics!  XD

I can understand that businesses have deals and such, which I have other opinions about.
Large quantity imports via shipping containers, sure...

But I'm hard pressed to understand how sellers via Ebay, Wish, Aliexpress, etc can sell single items to the states for CHEAPER then what it costs to send something here. I don't think my little brain can wrap my head around that.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
Yikes, thanks for letting us know.  I have two friends abroad with July b-days...guess I'll be sending their stuff this month if i can!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, as if international shipping wasn’t expensive enough. When I have to fork over 3/4 of what I paid for in addition to the object just to ship it from the USA to Canada, it drives me mad! Like I’m already a bit strapped for cash (they joys of trying to raise enough for college), I don’t want to pay double the item just to get it here in a month. If you’re raising costs, at least let me get my packages faster.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »
But I'm hard pressed to understand how sellers via Ebay, Wish, Aliexpress, etc can sell single items to the states for CHEAPER then what it costs to send something here. I don't think my little brain can wrap my head around that.
Oh, certainly. I did read something about it having to do with China's outdated status as a "devloping country", likely to urge people to import from developing countries to help their economy. Also a deal with the USPS in 2011 for ePacket.
I do hope this sort of squashes dropshipping? Or at least stifles it.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »
I read something about this happening a while back, but not when it was coming in.

It doesn't surprise me. US postage to the UK is already more expensive in a lot of ways than the reverse is. I'm not really buying stuff from the US at the moment anyway, but it's good to know it's happening this soon.

It is going to take a hit on people doing trades, and on people who are already twitchy about international shipping. It's also going to make me second guess whether I buy things, because frankly, having a hiked shipping cost that adds to the import duty cost with a crashed currency already causing a problem...doesn't make it attractive to buy from the US after this happens.

BUT we also have Brexit coming, which is going to hit buying from Europe as well.

It's a depressing world :/ It's also a ridiculous decision because you surely don't want it to cost more to sell things to other places. You want it to cost less to sell to places, and more for people domestically to import things, so they buy American and the world buys American.

This sounds like a good way to discourage anyone from buying American :/ Can't see a long term benefit for that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
I've been trying to look into this today, out of boredom.. and it really baffles me. I'm starting to think this is more an increase for bulk mail pricing -- things like stamps.com, or even contracts with fedex, ups, etc.. or, even the discount we get from paypal/ebay.

I'm wondering if it's something we aren't going to see at retail, and that's why theres no details on what the price increase is. All I could find was:
The U.S. Postal Regulatory Commission published the rates on April 6.

And for things coming into the US, the USPS isn't going to announce what their hike is for the final leg of it. We'd have to check other countries postal services for what the increase is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal