collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Collectors who collect non-nostalgically?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
G1 Collectors who collect non-nostalgically?
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
So I'm pretty young (turning 20 this year!) compared to a lot of G1 collectors I know, who owned the G1 toys as children. While I owned some G1 cartoons on VHS, I actually grew up playing with G3s and donated them when I thought I was outgrowing them (silly past me :P). When FiM came out I was all over it, diving into the show and the franchise's history. Eventually I stumbled upon Ponylandpress.com and something about G1s just kickstarted a collecting urge in me that G3s and G4s didn't.

Nowadays I'm primarily a G1 collector, but want to get some G2s soon. I know a lot of G1 collectors' nostalgia plays some part in their collecting (not that it's necessarily the driving force). How many collectors on here didn't own G1 in their childhoods, but collect G1s today? What endears G1s to you?

For me personally I wrote a paper on my collecting hobby for a class, and I found that my collecting is probably linked to the satisfaction I get from being able to catalog and organize my collection, not to mention the sense of accomplishment I get from knowing so much about one topic. I think I latched onto G1 because I love their softer designs, and there's so many ponies and so much obscure information out there to learn about!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Collectors who collect non-nostalgically?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »
Yeah, me!! I only got into MLP with G4, which made me want to look at the other generations. I quickly fell in love with their beautiful designs and started  collecting, haha. I just think they're really pretty and lovely to look at :)

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
Every G1 pony is shaped like a friend

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:10:18 PM »
I didn't grow up with G1, only the G2 video game and a G3 pony. For me collecting them, the requirements are normally

Do I like the colour?
Do I like the design?
Do I like the mold?
Is it rare?
Is it an exclusive?
And sometimes,
Is this condition acceptable?

For example, I wanted a Lickety-Split because she's pink, has purple eyes, is in a nice pose and has ice cream cones for a cutie mark. I found one with fully black eyeliner, no faults besides faded hair and dark ice cream cones (which was a very important factor in choosing her). I bought her and now she lives with me.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »
That would be me. I was more of a Kenner LPS fan as a kid. But a lot of older toys have an appealing aesthetic so I collect them too.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:47:36 AM »
I didn't have G1 ponies as a kid (Ty Beanie Babies and Kitty in my Pocket were my thing), but I discovered them because my girlfriend still had her childhood collection and I just fell in love with them. I just love vintage toys and cute things :). Our collection is partly nostalgia (e.g. my gf saying 'that was one of my favourites, I remember playing such-and-such with it' and me saying 'aww you were so cute!' :lol:) and partly just having fun in the present, taking photos, making up stories etc. I do find G1 history interesting too, though often frustrating! I like the comics and cartoons and I like how the canon(s) of G1 are quite loose and you can just make up your own stories. I got into ponies in 2013 and my first reaction to G4 was 'yay modern ponies, you can buy them in Tesco's!' - but I find the cartoon to be, I don't know, tiring? There's just so much of it, and it tries to be so clever, and it's all pop culture references that I don't usually get (I'm not an up to date person), endless friendship moralising, and two billion releases of Twilight Sparkle....there are things I like about G4 (those little mini blindbag ponies! Back when they were actually painted, of course) but I just prefer the old-fashioned pastel charm of G1 when ponies were creatures of variety and PonyLand was full of weird and wonderful things :).

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 02:28:43 AM »
I grew up with G3, and I remember how distraught I was when I turned 10 and I was deemed "too old" for ponies, so they were all thrown out against my wishes. Fast forward 12 years, and I stumbled across a small bag of G1 ponies at my work. You see, there was a bubbles, majesty, and lemon drop mixed into my childhood collection, so I recognised these ponies for what they were. They were so dirty and looked so sad, so I took them home, cleaned them up, and they turned out so beautifully, I realized that I wanted to keep doing it. Two years later, and I have a beloved G1 collection much larger than my childhood G3, and I don't plan on becoming "too old" for collecting them anytime soon. I've thought about going into collecting G3 occasionally, but sadly, looking at them reminds me of unpleasant memories, as much as I love them. G1 brings me that happiness without the sadness.

So I guess the short answer is, my love for G1 is motivated mostly by love for them, partly by spite. Jokes on you, mum and ex-stepdad, ya jerks.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 03:22:57 AM »
I'm also a pretty young collector (21) and I got into FIM first.
I always collected toys, have done so since the tender age of 6, and I collected some g4.
Eventually, Hasbro started releasing more mane 6 ponies and less new ones, so I looked for something else to collect. After falling back into lps for a bit, I found a g1 seashell in a thrift store and I fell hard and fast.

Since then, I collected g1 ponies. I took a break for a while but now I'm full on back.

The reason i collect them because there are so many and they are pretty easy to get in my country.
I love their colours and shapes and smell. They are very pretty to look at and do great on my instagram.

Lover of Windwhistler

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:31 AM »
I didn't collect G1s as a kid. Didn't collect most of the stuff I collect back then. I just think they're cute. :>

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 07:55:42 AM »
We didn't have any ponies as kids, but I loved the G1 cartoon between 1996 and 1997 when I was nine/ten (although I only knew of 24 episodes back then). Then I got back into ponies in 2006, I spent the next few years watching all episodes on my PC, plus Tales and sometimes even G3, I would also watch fan videos on YouTube or check out fanart, but still no toys. When G4 came out I didn't like it, plus I didn't have time for ponies back then. When I finally got back into MLP in 2017 I finally got interested in the G1 toys, and about a year later I bought my first pony, Fizzy, then came Wind Whistler and then others after her.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
It felt like a natural progression from collecting G4 and eventually G3. My parents had a year or two stint where they got very involved in antiquing and would drag me and my sisters along. I was still collecting G4 at this point, but I found a G3 pony and found it a nice challenge to continue to look for G3 when I was out. That got me into G3, and then I started finding G1 ponies and it sort of blossomed from there!
Now I collect to photograph them. I prefer to find them in the wild because honestly the fun for me is the hunt and the cleaning.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
I didn’t grow up with g1 MLP, so I collect non nostalgically. It was getting into g4 that turned me onto looking j to the past gens and discovering them- which is weird, I guess, getting into the latest gen and going backwards. But what endears g1 to me is their shape and weight. I like the more pony-like proportions in the older gens. I like that they’re actually more satisfying to hold. I like their names and the better quality hair on them. I like everything.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »

:D :heart:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline babypowder

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
I'm pretty young too, and the first ponies I got were G3's. Minty was my favorite back then. Then I got into FiM, though I was always crazier about the toys than the show. During that time, I looked around the internet for pony stuff, and I stumbled on a bunch of G1 website (and the arena) and I fell in love with the G1 designs and how soft and horselike and big they looked. I got a few at a flea market, and I picked up them wherever I could find them.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline MyLittleMillennial

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »

As someone who had G1 as a kid but always thought they had a special, timeless appeal, this thread absolutely warms my heart. <3 I guess that special something is also why the line blew up for 10+ years without needing much backstory.

I find it interesting that so many people said the large quantity of ponies was a key factor. As a younger collector I remember this was one of the things I found intimidating about MLP. Does anyone have a planned end goal for the collection?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal