collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair help needed  (Read 1036 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Hair help needed
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
I need some help figuring out the current hair market.  I used to buy the My Little Pony hair from Dollyhair years ago. 

I'm confused about what the different types of hair are like.  I see terms like "Nylon" "Nylatex" "Premium Nylon" "Nylon Silk" but how do I know what is ACTUALLY the closest to original mlp hair?   :drunk:

What do you use, and why?  Do you think it closely matches original mlp hair in texture and/or color? 

Thanks for any help!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Hair help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:09:59 AM »
Did you already refer to the stickied Doll Hair Guide for Customs thread? I don't think it answers all your questions but it's a good starting point at least! :)

I wish I knew more, I'm still looking for a new place to buy my pony hair from, too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
I've been buying from TheDollPlanet primarily as of late because I love the softness of their hair but I'd love to have some that doesn't need to be heated to curl.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 08:47:32 AM »
It is my understanding that Doll Planet and Dolltress hair is actually monofiber. I haven't had a need for hair in a long time because I have a large stock pile of Dollyhair from... before. BUT, I recently ordered some nylon colors from RetroDolls US and can't wait to start matching them to Dollyhair colors for the guide. Shannon at RetroDolls is always helpful if you message or email her.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I was looking at RetroDolls awhile back, but it seemed like they were in between websites/etsy?  Although just now I looked at it and it looks like the website is good to go!  Unfortunately I don't see a close match for Munchy's hair but I might just order some other colors and see how I like the hair.

Did you already refer to the stickied Doll Hair Guide for Customs thread? I don't think it answers all your questions but it's a good starting point at least! :)

I wish I knew more, I'm still looking for a new place to buy my pony hair from, too.

Yes, I looked at that thread awhile ago and it is a little helpful but most of my questions remain...if I wanted to try non-mlp hair that thread would be super useful though!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:17 PM »
I’m only starting customizing dolls, yet to work on a pony. But I’ve only bought hair off the doll planets Etsy, simply because it’s easier to navigate, and other artists seem to like them. Mlp hair I’m pretty sure is nylon, as a lot of mass produced dolls are. It feels similar to me IMO. But I’m not an expert.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal