collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 fan content?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G5 fan content?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
I would like to see some of the seemingly nameless blindbag designs get names and roles and art. I'd be interested in the new flying unicorns and the pony with the mouse symbol if the design of G5 is better. I'm hoping Potion Nova will be in G5. I can't help but suspect that both the RtM toyline and Mishmash ponies will co-exist side-by-side, but I could be wrong about that.

The two designs contrast each other in a way I personally have never seen before. (Keep in mind I never saw Dream Beauties in stores, or I mistook them for FSF.) Even G3.5s still had G3ish elements. Perhaps the G5 style will even be a mash between RtM and Mishmash, in the way that 3.5 is the bridge between 3 and 4?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:14:15 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »
Every Pony gen has the fans making the staple art of it- fan drawings, fanfiction. But with g4, we saw a whole flood of different forms of pony art- from original fan made music and remixes of the official music, to PMV’s, custom sculpts and crafts, to fan made fracking animations!

To be honest, I find plenty of G4 fan works to be pretty cringeworthy.
um...care to elaborate on that?

You know, like those epic 400k word dark fics where Pinkie Pie dies murdered by a pony drug cartel and Rainbow Dash is coping with the loss (with dozens of dramatic readings by sobbing bronies on YouTube), or those cheap dubstep songs about how much the author likes Rarity, or all those edgy self-insert OCs, or those videos that are just copies of non-pony videos with vectors traced straight from the cartoon (I once saw one that ripped off a Touhou fan video), or all those memes and comics about wanting to go to Equestria, or all that questionable fanart I won't even talk about here ;) Yeah I know it's not all like that, but there's been quite a lot of it, especially in early to mid 2010s.
ok, I hear you. And I understand that certain works don’t fly.
But you’re delving a bit too deep. I was only talking about the art mediums- the categories that are available and being done now- the medium of fanfics as a whole, PMV’s as a whole, Music and crafts as a whole- not necessarily the individual works that make these things up. And basically just where g5 can go and bring to the table next by way of artistic expressions.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »
I actually bought a Potion Nova off the net because I have no idea with the current crisis if these ponies will come here or they won't. And I was curious. I didn't unpack her, admittedly, but she is a weird looking thing.

I still want a proper G5, which separates from G4 completely in the way other gens have set up on their own. It won't be G5 to me if there isn't a completely new cast, even if Hasbro tell us that's what it is - I'm stubbornly rogue on this point.

But that probably also feeds into the question about what kind of fanart or fan media a new iteration might produce. I'm expecting a cringey rehash of the mane 6 which in my view stunts creativity by being limited in its innovation.

Also we don't know whether the leaks will actually be a thing or not. I'm curious to how Hasbro have become recently obsessed with retro MLP stuff, as if they suddenly realised that what Basic Fun is doing has captured the imagination more than they realised it was going to. When I spoke to Hasbro UK it was like they wanted nothing to do with it - but now Hasbro's mothership has tried so hard to connect the M6 into the past, you have to wonder whether the 'retro' aspect will form a part of this.

(FIM fans have already partly warped bits of the G1 canon, though, for example with Majesty and the fact a whole lot of G4 fans are convinced Majesty was this overpowerful Queen figure in G1, when in fact she was only Queen in the UK comics and most people, especially stateside, grew up with her barely registering as a character. So I suppose I use the word 'retro' advisedly here).

I don't really want G5 to ape G1 either mind you.

And some of the leaked art would be great, IF they were new ponies.

@ OP - if I had a constructive suggestion, then, perhaps flip through your past posts and see what you already posted and how people reacted to it. You can check your past posts by going to your profile/clicking on your name and viewing all your posts that way. It might help you realise when you might be repeating a subject, and that won't create misunderstandings of your motives.

Albeit that was a horrible thread which merited removal. And horrible threads stick in the mind, no matter how much time passes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »
but then that's still a fandom, surely? Why is there this "need" to have a "fandom"? You can't control or predict what will/won't be a hit.

I'm sure at least some of us will still be around for G5, isn't that enough of a fandom?

Of course it's still a fandom but the quality and quantity of fanworks for those kind of fandoms can be lacking. For example there's no such thing as Paw Patrol or PJ Masks remixes. I mean maybe there will be in the future when the kiddos who grew up with it get nostalgic but currently it doesn't really exist.

Every Pony gen has the fans making the staple art of it- fan drawings, fanfiction. But with g4, we saw a whole flood of different forms of pony art- from original fan made music and remixes of the official music, to PMV’s, custom sculpts and crafts, to fan made fracking animations!

To be honest, I find plenty of G4 fan works to be pretty cringeworthy.
um...care to elaborate on that?

You know, like those epic 400k word dark fics where Pinkie Pie dies murdered by a pony drug cartel and Rainbow Dash is coping with the loss (with dozens of dramatic readings by sobbing bronies on YouTube), or those cheap dubstep songs about how much the author likes Rarity, or all those edgy self-insert OCs, or those videos that are just copies of non-pony videos with vectors traced straight from the cartoon (I once saw one that ripped off a Touhou fan video), or all those memes and comics about wanting to go to Equestria, or all that questionable fanart I won't even talk about here ;) Yeah I know it's not all like that, but there's been quite a lot of it, especially in early to mid 2010s.
ok, I hear you. And I understand that certain works don’t fly.
But you’re delving a bit too deep. I was only talking about the art mediums- the categories that are available and being done now- the medium of fanfics as a whole, PMV’s as a whole, Music and crafts as a whole- not necessarily the individual works that make these things up. And basically just where g5 can go and bring to the table next by way of artistic expressions.

While I'll admit most of those forms of fan media don't exist for earlier gens, crafts have always been a big part of MLP fandom. It's kinda inevitable when it is a toy based fandom. Look at the fandom for the early 2000s LPS toys. The customs they make are amazing. Tbh if those other kind of things exist or not depends on the quality of G5 itself and we can't judge that until it actually exists.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal