collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Most overrated g1 line?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Most overrated g1 line?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 01:08:26 AM »
So, not to split hairs, but no, it doesn't mean non-Nirvana.

It means ponies that were sold within the United States. That's all it means.

It ignores the large number of ponies that were sold outside of the United States, which are not part of Nirvana, as any Nirvana expert will tell you.

It also ignores the fact all of the ponies sold in the US were sold in other places. Every single one of them. Some maybe just in the US and Canada, but at least 70% of them on a more global footing. Other countries have exclusives. The USA categorically does not.

Back in 1996 it was ok to talk about US ponies and imagine they were a thing. People now know better and there is a plethora of wider information available to follow up that knowledge.

Ponies not sold in the US are not automatically Nirvana, I suggest you check up on what that refers to in the Nirvana forum. 

This is also a global community. There are members from all over the world. Thus your definition, which only has relevance if you live in the US, is unhelpful. I have a lot of ponies in my childhood collection that were also sold in the US, but they've never been to the States and nor have I. Why should I consider them 'US' ponies just because they happened to be sold there as well? Can I call them UK ponies, because they were sold in the UK and I'm in the UK? Is it ok to redefine all the ponies that were sold in the UK as UK ponies, and the rest as Nirvana?

I'm guessing that sounds ridiculous, but it's exactly the same premise.

As a sidenote, the fact that such a binary distinction is being made sounds a lot like the garbled filing system that MLPMerch has been using, and really highlights why big websites have to take responsibility for how they convey information to people. I don't know if there's a connection, but it does demonstrate that misinformation is harder to uproot than it is to seed in place.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:20:02 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 02:50:26 AM »
the Princess ponies
*ducks fakies*
Oh, I totally agree!

Same sentiment here! The only one I'd ever get is Tiffany!
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 06:02:41 AM »
the Princess ponies
*ducks fakies*
Oh, I totally agree!

Same sentiment here! The only one I'd ever get is Tiffany!

I love the princess ponies in the cartoon, but I do have mixed feelings about their toys. While the tinsel in their hair may probably look cute when they're fresh out of the box, by now many of them look awful.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »
Taffeta - Well spoken. I hear you and totally agree with you.  💜 To answer the OP, I think the original collector ponies are most overrated. Yeah they were the first, but there were much more exciting sets to follow and the pose makes them look so sad. I always imagine Lemon Drop to have the personality of Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh.

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:49 AM »
Taffeta - Well spoken. I hear you and totally agree with you.  💜 To answer the OP, I think the original collector ponies are most overrated. Yeah they were the first, but there were much more exciting sets to follow and the pose makes them look so sad. I always imagine Lemon Drop to have the personality of Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh.
I agree. While I don't dislike the collectors pose itself, it does make them look a bit sad and I prefer diverse series with various poses. I realise this was the first set so they probably had only that one mold at the time.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »
If we're talking international sets, then I'm gonna hafta go with the Sweetie Baby Ponies and the Jewelry Babies. I'm just not into them.

@promqueen-The Collector Set is fairly  popular.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:45:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 07:48:45 AM »
Probably the Big Brothers (and Mountain Boys). I do like them, but I don't get the hype as I don't care for them, I could easily live without those sets. I do love the Baby Brothers though, not sure why that's different. :P

And yes, the first six, and early ponies in general. I get that they are iconic and whatnot, but the later G1 ponies were so much more interesting!

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline FernMariposa919

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:24 AM »
Probably the Big Brothers (and Mountain Boys). I do like them, but I don't get the hype as I don't care for them, I could easily live without those sets. I do love the Baby Brothers though, not sure why that's different. :P

Yes, I agree with the Big Brother ponies. I see them getting a lot of love and I'm just like, eh, whatever. They've never really been a favorite of mine and the only one I own (Steamer) was a birthday present.

Offline tebrighteyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
It would be Big Brothers for me too. I don't know I just don't care for the big bulky poses and I much prefer the girls. I do like the mountain boys slightly better. That being said I am a completionist so I still have to get them all anyway. They have just always been far down on my want list.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »
i hate tinsel.  oh why oh why.  I get the principle, the idea, but it NEVER works in theory!  it almost always looks awful and sometimes you cannot fix it! 

and I agree, it's kind of misinformation to call any pony release a "USA pony", since all of the characters identified as Nirvana are all previously-existing characters available.  They are all The Ponies.  Some came with regional name changes.  Some are just made in more local, regional factories for that country's domestic retail market, that's all.  That is why we distinguish them.  If the money had been available to continue making ponies in other Hasbro sales regions internationally, they would have made all the Ponies. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 07:04:52 PM »
The Pegasus. I have no actual issues with them, but we should have gotten 8 ponies instead of 4 and with 4 poses instead of 2. They're cute but a tad overrated and I'm not overly fond of the Firefly and Surprise poses personally.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:07:26 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 01:29:51 AM »
Newborn baby ponies, I have never been much of a fan

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 02:16:28 AM »
Big Brothers for sure! Maybe followed by wingers. I like these sets, but the amount of attention they get can feel a bit out of proportion at times, while other sets get overlooked.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 06:11:20 AM »
Twinkle eyes for sure. I was never able to get into these as a kid, because they didn't have pupils, and since I couldn't tell what they were looking at, they just seemed kind of soulless to me. It was hard to give them a personality when I played with them. It's too bad, because they came in great colors, and they seemed so dynamic in the movie and TV show, but the toys seemed to fall flat for me. Unpopular opinion, I know...this set seems so beloved on here.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »
Brush n grow ponies (that includes the third set of Princess ponies). I don’t like the gimmick. Same goes for the ballerina ponies, dance n prance ponies.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal