collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Fake Reverse Gusty  (Read 5911 times)

Offline kcat99

• Trade Count: (+152)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
My Fake Reverse Gusty
« on: May 27, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »
I found her today in one of my boxes...one of Ponyland's most infamous scams!

https://www.modus-energy.com/mlpg1

Here is my story, for prosperity!

I don't remember the exact date I purchased this RG, likely in the late 2001-early 2002 time frame as this was when I was working on my chemistry doctorate and spending my days in the lab. It was definitely after the first RG was found, and perhaps even a second was already known by this time. The community was so excited, as it always is when a new Nirvana is discovered (back at that time, the word Nirvana didn't even exist yet to describe a rare/foreign pony - lol I'm old).

She's truly a jaw-dropping color combo. When the next one became available, I knew I needed her in my life (at any cost!).

I didn't think too much about the seller or track record, call it being blinded with infatuation. I had a bad feeling in my gut, which I chose to ignore. I *really* wanted to believe she was real.

Reality came crashing down quick. Another RG popped up on ebay and through some sleuthing discovered it was the SAME seller as who sold me mine. *red flag, fire alarm*

When I received her I popped of the head immediately to find a perfectly sewn in mane and standard tail, pure Hasbro manufacturing style. It almost looked too perfect, if that makes sense.

As a chem grad student having access to spectroscopic equipment, I took a glue swab from RG as well as a glue swab from a standard Gusty and see if it was the same type of glue. It wasn't. This take alone is by no means a true scientific experiment with anything remotely bearing statistical significance nor ability to produce a meaningful conclusion. I would have needed at least a few more RGs and a bunch of regular Gustys to even get basic validation. But this one data point, combined with the second RG the same seller made available, plus her less than credible history put the final nail in the coffin for me as to her authenticity. Personally, I would not feel comfortable even hinting at the chance she is the real deal.

I believe the seller was banned from the community and don't know who has her other fake RG's. But I speculate there are at least 1 or 2 more floating around somewhere.

#thanksforcomingtomytedtalk
kcat
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:09:44 PM by kcat99 »
My Entire Collection is For Sale!
www.modus-energy.com/mlpg1

One of Loa's favourite people!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: My Fake Reverse Gusty
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Dang she's still gorgeous though!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:24:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RLisa

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:57:40 AM »
She is really pretty! I don't know about this scam (relatively new to the mlp community), can anyone link me to some more information? Would be awful if someone tried to sell her as MLP produced.

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »
She's gorgeous, but I have to keep my funds together unfortunately. :-/
Someone would have to be really stupid in order to sell her on as the real thing, since Karma is a metaphysical law. I wouldn't want this kind of debt in my own future.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »
She is really pretty! I don't know about this scam (relatively new to the mlp community), can anyone link me to some more information? Would be awful if someone tried to sell her as MLP produced.

I really feel that with so many long-time members leaving the community, we need a common place for all the good stories!
Someone correct any details I may have mis-remembered, we are talking about something that happened well over 20 years ago LOL

TIL:  Reverse Gusty was found at a carboot sale in the UK.  Collectors went back and forth about agreeing on the authenticity.  At this time, scammers were starting to pop heads off and switch them onto other pony bodies, particularly when very little was known about Nirvanas, and digital cameras were in their infancy.   So of course there was intense scrutiny.  Things got really heated when a SECOND Reverse Gusty showed up! 

In order to solve the puzzle, a collector who worked in a laboratory took samples from the glue in RG's mane plugs and compared it to several samples of genuine, ordinary Hasbro MLP.  The samples matched!  Industrial-strength glue, used in the Hasbro factories, was used to secure RG's hair.  Now the ultimate test: the 2nd RG.  Eventually #2 made it into the hands of a collector who was comfortable with sending the pony onto Amazing Lab Tech pony collector.  RG #2's hair glue turned out to be an ordinary brand of Super Glue that anybody could have bought from a domestic retail source.  RG #2 was FAKE!  *shock, horror noises*

When RG#3 and others showed up on the secondary market, collectors realized that scammers were preying on the reputation of the unique OOAK Reverse Gusty.

There can only be one!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
This sounds less like a run-of-the-mill scam and more like if Nancy Drew was on the CGI team investigating a scam. That's seriously quite a story BabySquirmy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:36:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BabyBlueRibbon

• Trade Count: (+372)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bu884wztwz4so2/AAD_kw1sL0fybkjpPzWjK7gLa?dl=0
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 10:25:36 AM »
I remember this.  It was a crazy event back in the day.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
I had heard of fakes but had no clue there was that much stuff going on! That's so cool! I'd love to see more longtime members share stories.
Your Rusty is so gorgeous.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline RLisa

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Wow what a story! Almost an episode of ponybusters! Thank you for sharing lovesbabysquirmy.

I had heard of fakes but had no clue there was that much stuff going on! That's so cool! I'd love to see more longtime members share stories.
I'd second that! And Rusty is a cute nickname.

Crazy that there's only one real reverse Gusty. Makes me wonder about possible unique ponies with factory mistakes that were simply tossed.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
Ooh, the story of the Rusty scam... what a tale.

Honestly stories and history like this is a big part of why I love the pony community, even if I wasn't around for any of them!

We should definitely have a story thread, lol.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »
The adding baby powder is a slick idea.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:28:52 AM »
wasnt there more that was thought to be real then just one?
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:37 AM »
I might be super dumb to ask this but I don't  get it?  How does the powder help?

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 05:49:26 AM »
I might be super dumb to ask this but I don't  get it?  How does the powder help?
You're not the only one, I don't get it either.  :lol:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »
it's like a glitter bomb for her head... if anyone tries to mess with it, it's gonna be a real big mess.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal