collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are there ponies/playsets with no known MOC?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Cottononi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
Are there ponies/playsets with no known MOC?
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
Topic name pretty much sums up my question, so is there a pony/ponies or playsets that have not been found MOC/MIP/MIB? Rarer nirvanas and prototypes obviously, but what about common releases?

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Are there ponies/playsets with no known MOC?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:19 AM »
I would assume any pony sold in a store would have had to be in a box or on a card. But time and children playing with them would mean some of it got lost. It might be possible nobody has recorded a MOC/MIB of some ponies.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline BabyBlueRibbon

• Trade Count: (+372)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bu884wztwz4so2/AAD_kw1sL0fybkjpPzWjK7gLa?dl=0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:36:21 AM »
I have wondered this in the past. I think it is very possible, esp. with the Dream Valley site gone from my little pony world. That had a lot images that were great for IDing items.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
By common releases, do you mean US release, or do you include European releases as well? Or releases that where sold both in Europe/US/Other places, but with different cards/boxes? (and by that I mean english text cards and boxes, not counting regular ponies in other language cards/boxes). So it kind of depends how you want to narrow it down, and how you define common releases :P

If only US releases, I think most of them have been found MOC, but for European releases of the same ponies, there are still some not found. Like for example Lickety Split had different cards in US, then some parts of Europe (although she still exists MOC in both ^^)

Then we have European ponies like Mountain boys, where I dont think all of them are known to be found MOC yet, I think I have seen maybe 3 or 4 of them only.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:14:49 AM »
I’ve wondered about this too! One pony that I haven’t seen MIB is the 2nd Release UK Megan & Sundance, I have found this set loose with and without pony shoes so would be great to clarify what they came with 🤔

Babydoll~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:45:41 AM »
I have wondered this in the past. I think it is very possible, esp. with the Dream Valley site gone from my little pony world. That had a lot images that were great for IDing items.

But not MOC items, and not international items, and not Nirvana.  Honestly, DV was at its best in the late 1990s. It's long since been surpassed by many other more comprehensive websites since then, including, but not limited to, the Wiki. It's a nostalgia hit, but as an information resource, there's literally nothing it offered that isn't better covered by existing web information.

On the subject of ,mainstream MOCs that don't survive (or have not yet been found), yes. Most of which are not from the US release catalogue, which is one reason why most websites don't even address the subject.

As Leikin mentioned, it is a twofold question really. I'm gonna ignore Nirvana completely as that's not my area of expertise.

One - a pony that has no existing MOC in any format whatsoever.
Two - a pony that has an existing MOC in one country's release but not in another's.

As Leikin said, three from six Mountain Boys haven't been found MIP as far as I know (two of which were childhood ponies for me :() - Lightning, Thundercloud and Fireball.

As Babydoll said, the 2nd release of Megan and Sundance in the Uk also has never been found MIB, leading some people to disbelieve its existence - but a surviving package does exist, so it happened. We just don't have an example.

Although all of these exist on US cards, there are as far as I know no surviving examples of Locket, Speedy or Sky Rocket TE on UK card. I have Tic Tac Toe. Right now I think she's the only one.

All the above come from the same release year, which may say something about distribution. Probably there only exist Princess Ponies and Dragons MIB (and there aren't many of them) because they continued into 1988.

I am fairly sure I've seen every single pony released in the US either MIB/MOC or MIP in some form. US packaged ponies are more common because of the size of the market, put simply. There were more available so there are more surviving. On the contrary, there are many releases from this part of the world that don't show up often or there are no known surviving versions. One of my real twitches about deboxing comes from this fact that in the Uk there are a lot of ponies where a MOC that comes up could be one of the last surviving examples. Some people don't mind which card their pony came on, and it's generally cheaper or easier to source a US one. But when you're aiming for UK packages it can be a lot harder and then you notice a lot of surviving MOC ponies missing.

I haven't seen boxed examples of the 1988 Newborn Twins with the UK box-back image either, although I've got four of the US sets. I have a cut card from Tuggles and Toddles, but that's all.

I've also not seen a UK carded Love Melody I don't think. I hadn't seen Strawberry Fair until a few years ago when I managed to nab one, but I haven't seen another. Love Melody probably is out there, but it's like with everything - the US ones are way more common.

...I also haven't seen many Fable ponies MOC but Leikin may know more about that than I do given that it's more her part of the world.

I've also yet to see a year 2/1984 earth pony mint on UK card. I have a loose card so I know what it looks like, but I've never seen one online yet.

So yeah. But it's still a question of ponies that have no MOC example as far as we know (like the Mountain Boys) and those that have no UK/European/International carded example but do have a US one (though there can be accessory variations). To some people the second lot don't matter - to others the type of card a pony is on is as important as the fact they're on card.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:47:12 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:06:48 AM »
Haha, we are really into that card release nerdification :D

I really want to recommend CHrissytrees page for accessories, where she has a MOC section, showing of MOC/MIBs in different styles.
Take the flutter ponies for example (scroll down a bit) https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/page-2-candy-cane---great-hair.html
You have the same ponies in US box, UK box, french box, canadian box, german box, dutch box, and even italian boxes (not pictured though). The ponies are all the same, but the packages are different (except the spanish ones, who are made in spain)
As for myself, I have three MIB Rosedusts. If it where only for the pony, I would probably have settled with one, but I have them in US (there are even two different versions of the US ones) dutch version and french second release version. I also have my second MIB Wind drifter on the way (in italian box, my first one is in french) and the italian boxes are so much different form the other boxes.  Collecting variant boxes is like collecting variant ponies, there is actually much more diversity in pony packaging that you might think :)

Another example (now you got me going, this is one of my favourite topics! :D ) is the original baby ponies. https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/page-1-7-character---brush-n-grow.html  They where sold both on card and in box with accessories, and both boxes and cards comes in a few different versions. I have Firefly both boxed and carded. Again, same pony, different style of package :P (Yes, I'm a nerd)
And a third one (same link as above, just scroll further down) are the FT babies. Just small subtle differences as if its a puched hanging hole or open hanging hole to determine if the box is US or UK. Or has the dutch boxes, UX boxed, but with a sticker for Belgian importer.
And my favourite ones, the carded FT babies, first the ones that came in the Dutch MLP club, and the spanish carded one. :)

As for the fable ponies, I have seen Yellow Gusty, long hair Firefly and Powder. I have the backcard for Surprise, and have seen Gusty with card, but no MOCs. I have still not seen Heart Throb, Sky Flier or Sparkler from that set MOC though.
Same goes for the pony freinds. Cupcake Posey and Cherries Jubilee are the only MOCs I have seen. None of the others. I'm not even sure if it is Shady or Tootsie that goes with the set (different on backcard, as to pamphlet)
I'm not even sure I have seen all rainbow ponies on the vertical cards either.
(However, I have UK carded Windy, that I'm thinking about decarding ;) :P )

Then not to forget all the mail order versions, and by that I dont mean mailorder like everyoneelse is talking about mailorder ponies, but the regular ponies you could order from catalogue companies, like Sears and JC Penneys. I have seen a few from the early sets but not all of them. (at the bottom of this page https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/mail-order.html )
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:16:08 AM »
I've seen all the first set Rainbows on vertical card. Only I haven't seen Skydancer come up in a long time. The rest I have pics on my site.

I will honestly cry if you decard a UK Windy. That's one of my no. 1 grails. She was my first pony, and the only time I've seen her on sale has either been after an auction ended, or when I didn't have any money.

I love the Italian boxes. I'm still kicking myself that I parted with baby north star in her italian box way back when I decided I only wanted UK packaged ponies...

I think the only pony I have MIP twice is Tic Tac Toe, but I wouldn't rule out a third if a US one came available for the right price. Otherwise if I can have different versions of ponies from the same set, that's good enough.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
Has the lavender Dream Castle been found MIP? I think I remember participating in a conversation here about how no one had seen mint versions of the stickers in that one.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 10:15:18 PM »
There’s a yellow gusty?!?
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 12:58:50 AM »
I assume she means Moondancer?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 04:31:36 AM »
Has the lavender Dream Castle been found MIP? I think I remember participating in a conversation here about how no one had seen mint versions of the stickers in that one.
I think I have seen the Lavender DC MIB somewhere.

Yes, sorry, my misstake. I was thinking ahead of writing, and was already on Gusty when I wrote that. She is in the set, but Moondancer is the one that is yellow ^^

I will honestly cry if you decard a UK Windy. That's one of my no. 1 grails. She was my first pony, and the only time I've seen her on sale has either been after an auction ended, or when I didn't have any money.
Dont worry, I'm only teasing you, as I know you want her bad :D I would never open her. ( and will have you in mind if I would decide to sell her some day ^^ )

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 04:35:16 AM »
I think I have seen the Lavender DC MIB somewhere.

Yes, sorry, my misstake. I was thinking ahead of writing, and was already on Gusty when I wrote that. She is in the set, but Moondancer is the one that is yellow ^^

Dont worry, I'm only teasing you, as I know you want her bad :D I would never open her. ( and will have you in mind if I would decide to sell her some day ^^ )

You are a mean person. But also a lovely person ;)

Although I did think you were joking, knowing how you feel about decarding <3.

I am actually quite happy knowing one exists and in safe hands. But yeah, if you ever did sell...poke me first ;)

I would like to see a yellow Gusty. I already feel like yellow Moonie looks like she's made of cheese. Would Gusty also be cheesy? I wonder.

This post has no real meaning.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal