collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ugly ponies?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ugly ponies?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »

I also agree with the yellow bubbles, it would look better to open them up and maybe display them separately so the pony isn't ruined (but keep the card! Like Taf said those are really cool pieces of history) but that is just my opinion!

Just to be clear, they are pieces of history SEALED on the original card. Once loose they are simply more loose ponies in a world where there are already thousands of loose ponies. So that's not exactly my point. I would keep a yellow bubble MOC pony. I would never open it. I also collect the backcards, but MOC and backcards are not the same thing at all and it wasn't my intention to imply that they were. For me decarding a G1 is the same as cutting a Nirvana pony's hair because you think it looks better that way - they are a complete unit and after this many years, should stay that way unless the package is seriously mouldy and disgusting.

I've thought about downsizing my MOC collection a few times but people talking about opening MOC reminds me there's a reason why I keep my collection as it is...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:10:39 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 09:48:07 AM »
I'm one of those who dont understand why people open MOCs, even if the cards/Boxes are really bad. Open a MOC is like destroying a collectible for someone else, because you think it looks better out of package, and as already mentioned, that might be the only one left that exists. For me, its comparable to cutting of a ponys leg for example. You destroy something that can never be put back to original, and a collectors piece is lost forever. If you dont like your MOCs in damaged packages, better sell it to someone who apriciate it, and buy one of those plentifull loose ponies instead.

For example I have a MOC spanish carded FT baby Fifi. Its the only one I have ever seen MOC of her, so it might be the only one existing. The card is badly beaten up and bent, but I would never open her, as if opened up, she would only end up as another baby Fifi, among thousands and thousands of others, instead of maybe being OOAK.

That said, I'm no fan of yellowed bubbles either, but if the pony itself is the important thing, and not the whole MOC experience, I would just by it loose instead.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
I should mention that by baity I mean really bad. Like haircuts and heavy uneven discoloration or permanent marker all over the body or badly scuffed factory paint. Not minor marks that don't detract from a pony's beauty. I don't have that many G1s but one has words under the hoof where it isn't visible and one has a tiny dark dot that's kinda like a beauty mark. Those I don't consider baity and would never customize them.

I also agree with the yellow bubbles, it would look better to open them up and maybe display them separately so the pony isn't ruined (but keep the card! Like Taf said those are really cool pieces of history) but that is just my opinion!

Just to be clear, they are pieces of history SEALED on the original card. Once loose they are simply more loose ponies in a world where there are already thousands of loose ponies. So that's not exactly my point. I would keep a yellow bubble MOC pony. I would never open it. I also collect the backcards, but MOC and backcards are not the same thing at all and it wasn't my intention to imply that they were. For me decarding a G1 is the same as cutting a Nirvana pony's hair because you think it looks better that way - they are a complete unit and after this many years, should stay that way unless the package is seriously mouldy and disgusting.

But think about it this way. A museum, when it displays a mummy for example, they open the sarcophagus and display what was inside with it along with it. They would never just display a dirty sealed sarcophagus. They would keep it together of course for the sake of preservation. Then again I'm not talking about slightly yellow but when it's at the point where you can't even tell what the pony actually looks like anymore.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
Those who have baity ponies on display or MOC ponies intact in yellowed packaging how can that not bother you? The reason to collect ponies (or toys in general) is to be able to look at pretty things. But if it's in bad condition it's not pretty at all.

I have a vintage glitter pony somewhere-  NRFB - SORTA.  I mean it has it's backcard and bubble, but the bubble is mostly off due to glue drying up and probably more has come up since very little is attached- the bubble is also quite yellowed and makes the pony look yellowed inside even though she is perfect.  STill, I haven't pulled her out of the package because it's still kinda special and she's the only vintage pony I have that still has her packaging...   I don't normally try to collect MLP packaging, I've long thought I should just sell her to someone who would appreciate the packaging more and get a replacement that just looks very nice :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
I should mention that by baity I mean really bad. Like haircuts and heavy uneven discoloration or permanent marker all over the body or badly scuffed factory paint. Not minor marks that don't detract from a pony's beauty. I don't have that many G1s but one has words under the hoof where it isn't visible and one has a tiny dark dot that's kinda like a beauty mark. Those I don't consider baity and would never customize them.

But think about it this way. A museum, when it displays a mummy for example, they open the sarcophagus and display what was inside with it along with it. They would never just display a dirty sealed sarcophagus. They would keep it together of course for the sake of preservation. Then again I'm not talking about slightly yellow but when it's at the point where you can't even tell what the pony actually looks like anymore.

First and foremost, your original post makes no explicit indication of how much you consider unacceptable level of yellowing. I'll be honest and say I wouldn't buy a very yellowed MOC to the point it obscured the pony unless it was the only known one in existence, but even if one of my existing collection got to that point it wouldn't change anything.

And your information is out of date. In the past - for example, the 1920s - it was common, yes, to open sarcophagi and display mummies and in doing so some got destroyed (for example Tutankhamun). But now they tend to NOT open them. Instead they MRI scan them to find out what is inside, and sometimes put cameras through cracks to see if they can get a better look or a tissue sample.

The ones you see in museums all taken apart were almost certainly taken apart decades ago, in a time when the same rules of preservation didn't apply.

And it changes nothing, anyway. Leikin put it extremely well. Decarding a pony is vandalism of the same level as removing a leg, an ear, or the hair. But there is no 'restoration' of a MOC. Once off it's off forever.

In my collection I have some ponies who have been off the card but who still live in the bubble because that's how I got them. I have some with the bubble coming off but not enough that the pony has ever been out. I have a couple with cracks in the bubble. The vast majority of my MOC collection is intact and mostly if yellowing has occurred it's very minor and tends to be on the early US ponies (Glory, Medley etc) rather than the rarer early UK ones that I mostly go after...BUT...that said, there are also MOC in my collection, and probably also others in Leikin's than the one she mentioned, that are the only known examples in existence.

So if they yellow now, you would say it was entirely justified to decard the last surviving example of a MOC pony just because in your view it looks prettier loose on the shelf?

Well, that is of course an opinion you're entitled to, but frankly, it isn't one that I understand.

Loose ponies are easy to get. MIP ones, not so much. There are far fewer of them because they weren't originally intended to be kept in the package, and mostly people didn't buy them that way in the sense they have with G2-4. That makes them in some cases extremely limited.

Again, not everyone collects to have a trinket shelf. It's fine if you do, but if something isn't pretty to you, either don't buy it, or sell it to someone who will value it...or if you don't want to do either of those things, at least don't destroy it so that it no longer exists at all.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
I do understand wanting to rescue a pony from a really gross card but Taffeta is right, there won't be any more of those coming around.  And honestly, there are probably nicer ponies already out of the box that can be had instead.  It's why I don't buy ponies on card.  It's not what I'm looking for.  Besides, there is a good change that pony is damaged on the other side. 

I love minty ponies.  But, even the worst of baits can have their own charm.  If someone loves it and wants it in their collection, I can't see any thing bad about that at all.  There is no negative to them having it.

I am hopeful that companies like Basic Fun will continue to create G1 ponies.  Knowing that they can is pretty exciting. It means people can have a minty pony without having to decard older ones.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
If we're on the subject of MOC ponies, I personally feel that keeping a pony MOC is an absolute waste of a pony. It just looks terrible to me, it doesn't display well at all in my eyes, and the pony would look so much nicer mint off-card. Even factory errors display better off-card, imo. MIBs are different for me - they actually stand up on their own, for one. I actually collect some MIBs, but I consider them kind of a different collection from loose ponies.

But that's just my onion. It's why I don't buy MOC ponies. I obviously don't expect (or want!) anyone else to decard their MOCs. I just don't see the appeal at all. I know that's a wildly unpopular opinion, lol.

And I've got plenty of baity ponies on display, mostly nirvanas who I can't afford mint, lol. Some flaws (regrind, stray marks, rubs, glitter loss, some chews, haircuts, certain discoloration) don't really bother me, while others (cancer, severe head/body mismatch, any yellowing, and worst of all, frizzy hair) are dealbreakers. So I've got plenty of ponies on display who others might consider bait, and I might consider bait what others consider display-worthy.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »

But that's just my onion. It's why I don't buy MOC ponies. I obviously don't expect (or want!) anyone else to decard their MOCs. I just don't see the appeal at all. I know that's a wildly unpopular opinion, lol.

To clarify, I am fine with that being anyone else's opinion. It's the people who go out of their way to destroy MOC ponies because they prefer ponies loose, as opposed to going out for ponies that are loose already (of which there are so many more). It's two different things. Nobody should collect MOC if they don't want them, obviously. xD.

I have some ponies in my collection that came from a decarder. They are absolutely pristine, and I have their cards and all their accessories as well.

They are some of the saddest ponies in my collection, though, because they are so pristine and perfect on display.

They're neither one thing nor the other. They were never a loved childhood toy, but are also no longer the pristine sealed on card collector's item that they should have been because someone decarded and then got bored with their collection and sold the ponies off.

People who decard always say they'll never sell so why does it matter? In 20 years I've seen a lot of those people sell up their decarded collections, though. It's a waste that has reduced MIP stock and put MOC prices much higher than they were when I began online collecting (the first MIP ponies I had, I paid $30 apiece for, or sometimes $15).

And it's just really sad looking at ponies that never got played with, but are now no better than any other loose pony, only not as loved. I guess for me just looking pretty on the shelf isn't enough. THey have no history, and it's sad.

Of course, I love them for their mintness, but it makes me wish the person who owned them before had thought for the longterm, rather than leaving those ponies in their weird limbo.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:56:29 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 12:02:02 PM »
If we're on the subject of MOC ponies, I personally feel that keeping a pony MOC is an absolute waste of a pony. It just looks terrible to me, it doesn't display well at all in my eyes, and the pony would look so much nicer mint off-card. Even factory errors display better off-card, imo. MIBs are different for me - they actually stand up on their own, for one. I actually collect some MIBs, but I consider them kind of a different collection from loose ponies.

I'm completly opposite of that. I prefer them on card then in box actually :lookround: I just think theboxed ones get so much strange shadows, and seem to gather more dust then the carded ones. At least the ones that are plastic sealed to the card on the box.  Those that are just fastened in the box with a plastic window are even worse, as the window so easily falls off or breaks.  :P
Not to mention the bags. The BAGS! Those are impossible to display nice  :lol:

I have some ponies in my collection that came from a decarder. They are absolutely pristine, and I have their cards and all their accessories as well.

They are some of the saddest ponies in my collection, though, because they are so pristine and perfect on display.

They're neither one thing nor the other. They were never a loved childhood toy, but are also no longer the pristine sealed on card collector's item that they should have been

I have never thought of it that way, but it is kinda sad now that you mention it. Poor ponies :heart:
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
Well I have my childhood collection which are well loved. I also started collecting again as a teenager and back then most of my collecting was from garage sales and flea markets since ebay was just starting out. Then I moved out and my ponies stayed at my parents house where my niece played with them for 8 years. Then I went and got them for my daughter when she was 3/4 so she played with them for several years. Then I decided to collect again but didn't have a place to display so they sat in storage for a couple years. Now I have a pony/toy collection room but haven't had time to go and clean everyone up yet. Any new purchases from ebay or the thrift store get cleaned and styled when they arrive. But sadly I haven't had time to clean up the 200+ ponies that I've been collecting forever and have gone through several children playing with them but they are all out on display in my pony room for me to enjoy while I sew. I have lots of doubles and lots of poor condition ponies in the mix. One day I'll get to clean and style each one and sort through who to sell and who to keep of the duplicates but for now I'm super happy to see all their beautiful faces on my shelves instead of sitting in boxes like they have for so many years.  :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »
I enjoyed this quite challenging conversation starter! Sometimes I think it's nice when people invite you to challenge them in a debate. I'm not always in the mood, but this is an interesting topic. It's drawn out some great comments so far. I especially like the points made that baity ponies have a uniqueness that can bring back childhood memories and maybe they might inspire the imagination as to what kinds of adventures they might have had.

Personally my childhood ponies were given away although my sister shared hers with me which is nice. I have the memory of going with my Mum to buy Braided Beauty for her and a green Fairytale Bird who she has now gifted to me since she no longer collects. 

I do like to look at something pretty so I have made compromises such as deflocking, hairstyles or accessories so that although not completely original they do look good (even if I do say so myself  :P). I have also re-rooted a few forelocks and touched up eyes or symbols in some cases, so I have a few ponies who look perfect to me but I know it would be hard to sell them since people don't like to buy re-rooted or re-painted ponies. If anyone is wondering, I've initialled them with aerospace marker under a hoof, so if by chance they did end up back on the market then that should signal to collectors that they may have been altered.

I find that the condition that ponies arrive in from sellers really varies. If the difference from the description is major then I will send back however often it's subtle or subjective so in which case I will keep the pony and decide what to do later. If the head has been removed previously I'll do a soft restore which is basically a wash and style, however if there are bigger problems then I will decide whether to restore and keep the pony or whether to sell it on. If I recieve certain ponies that are too perfect (it does happen!) I tend to re-sell them and keep one that I've worked on, because the perfect pony is so straightforward to sell. If I'm only able to buy a pony once due to distribution or rarity then I tend to find the best one I can and never do any work on it.

I must say i completely afgree wth Taffeta about packaging which is one reason why I personally don't buy G1s in packaging. It is ephemeral and will lose condition so I just don't feel I have the space and environmental conditions to look after it properly. Also I do like to get my ponies out and make little worlds for them and photograph them so they need to be free of packaging. Finally I do admit I enjoy the process of grading, cleaning and potentially restoring certain played with ponies and I also respect, display and enjoy the items that have suffered some damage but should be left in thier original condidtion due to rarity and value.

This Shady is a great example of a successful soft restore. She was absolutely gross with mould and wet inside, pindot and frizzy lank hair. I touched her eyes up with aerospace marker (it's removable).

Some choices are harder to make. I have de-flocked Twilight and styled her hair, but not re-painted her eye. She still has a problem with her neck seam. I don't think this is an original body and head since they don't fit together very well. I still can't decide what to do with her.

Heart Throb has an obvious 'do' which was fun to do and she's gorgeous. I sold her to a collector.

Dutch School Bag has pin holes in his ears, presumably someone pierced them for earrings. I would never try to work on this flaw as he is too rare and it doesn't other me.

Rainbow magic's pink streak has faded and her paint has rubbed, however I wouldn't work on these these since I consider her rare. Likewise I would not try to re-pink Wind Whistler. I find both these ponies beautiful. Lady Flutter is pretty much perfect, but is another one of those ponies I would only expect to find once so I would accept her as she is regardless.

These two have minor flaws, Baby has a hair cut and symbol wear and Mom has slight wear to her eyes. I wouldn't try to 'hard restore' iether of them because they are too rare so i just gave them some accessories. Baby's haircut reminds me of the regrettable 'short sides' do i had as a kid when Mum let me go tot eh hairdresser on my own  :lol:

Finally, Baby Ember has touched up eyes and a new forelock. I had found her strangely hard to find and Taffeta let me have this one. I decided to carry out these 'hard restore' options because (1) she looked very unhappy before (2) she's not considered super hard to find at least in the USA 3) these were easy fixes with a big impact 4) she's never going to look minty again in general due to the ageing to her plastic, so she would never be highly valuable. I think a gentle amount of work on her has made her look pretty again without trying to make her look perfect and it was the right thing to do. I initialled her hoof as well 'CM' to show she has been restored.

I put a lot of thought into these decisions as you can tell. I understand that everyone has different opinions about what is right for their collections and I do try to think of others when I carry out permanent work even to ponies that I'm planning to keep forever.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:19:12 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 06:07:53 AM »
I don't think Wardah meant any harm in their post. :) To answer the question... Some of my most beloved childhood ponies are quite "bait" at this point in time. I gave most of the boys haircuts like the boy ponies in the MLP Tales cartoon, and I played with them a lot outside so some are stained with pitch, dirt, sand, and hair frizzed out from bubble bath and salty ocean water. A few even lived on my window sill so they got a bit moldy and faded. While they may not be the most aesthetically pleasing anymore, they still make me very happy to look at. I have a special little shelf just for them, separate from the rest of my ponies. To me they're more treasured than some of my mint condition ponies.

Now... I did once do the unthinkable and de-card a Nirvana pony. It's true! However before you all chase me with torches, let me explain!
It was the early 2000's and Argentina ponies were just popping up on eBay. Well I managed to acquire the green Rockin' Beat unicorn on a VERY damaged card for super cheap (I believe it was like 15$ USD). When I received her the card was actually slightly damp, and clearly water damaged. Ink blotchy, warped, bubble yellowed and mostly peeled off... But what I noticed most was the smell of mildew and the little tiny droplets of liquid on the pony inside. I made the difficult decision to open her, and I am SO glad I did. She was very sticky/slimy and smelled quite foul. I assume it was plasticizer leaking out as she was also quite visibly porous and soft. I ended up cleaning her off just fine, and she and her accessories were salvaged though even to this day she smells a bit off. I dried the card out and ended up keeping it as well, but just think of how awful that pony would be today had I left her in package. She was literally rotting away... I've heard of similar things happening to other peoples Argies from around that time. 

So there you have it. (Just to clarify I would NEVER de-card otherwise.) I'm gonna go wall up my windows and doors now. :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
^ That's what I meant when I was talking about super beaten up cards before :) IMO if the card is in such bad condition that it's actually starting to badly affect the pony... it's time to decard. I get the reasons people collect MOCs but there's really no point keeping them that way if it's in that bad shape.

Glad to hear that pony got a good home :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 08:43:28 AM »
Tbh I don't put ponies on the shelf to display them. I put them there because that's where they go and I don't wanna deal with tangled hair. I also never owned any sort of toybox.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline mylittleponyroom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • crazy little pony hunter! I can't have enough!!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
I bought a MOC Milky Way a few years ago and a few weeks ago I saw that Milky Way had neon pink spots in two places on the body. I'm not a MOC collector, but that annoyed me a bit. I don't know what to do about that...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal