collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Multigen crossover idea?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Multigen crossover idea?
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:32:42 PM »
I know that Hasbro most likely won’t ever green light a multi-generational pony movie where all gens receive equal love, much in the way that “YuGiOh- Bonds beyond Time” tended to do, but- I have been dreaming of such a thing happening for a while now. (Even if it’s not officially made).

So how would a multi-generation pony movie go down? I imagine that Hasbro would want to capitalize on the g4 cash cow for as long as possible, so the movie might start with them as the focus. I think there’s a lot of potential with involving Captain Celeano and her pirate crew from the 2017 pony movie, again. Perhaps Twi and friends get invited by Celeano to sketch for the fabled “treasure island” with them. Then a storm grounds their airship (insert de-ja-vu comment) on a random island, where they meet up with G3 Kimono, who wants them off the island, but the pirates get wise that she’s hiding the secret of the location of the treasure. Kimono reluctantly leads them to the local residents, the Takara ponies, after which the island (Takarajima) is named after. Milky and Pinky deny knowing the location of the treasure the pirates are after. But the mane 6 start snooping around (namely Twilight), and gets pushed down an old abandoned well by someone in the dark. Well leads to Alt dimension, where she meets g1 Firefly before she leaves to get help from a Megan for the first time. Events replay with the Statodons and Firefly takes Twilight with her over the rainbow, but they find a cloaked figure waiting for them, and mutters something about lost happiness for them and for no one. They manage to force Firefly and Twi into the we’ll only Megan’s property. Another time jump to g2. Rinse, repeat, until all 4 main gens are together and Twilight figured out that The villain messing with them and their worlds is one of their own- A pony, but a Takara pony under the evil cloak. The four gen ponies use their powers combined to do some dues ex magic and get back into the present Treasure island, where villain is u covered as a rogue Takara who has been having the Lilly flower (seen commonly on their art) as a reminder to return to happiness, by the resident Takaras who had earlier had to banish her. More pony magic to blast ome sense into villain and reform her. The four gen ponies agree to always be friends forever and make friends with reformed villain before she sends them back to their own times again. 

How would you guys manage a multigen pony movie, if it was put in your care? What do you think Hasbro might do, as far as involvement goes?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:33:37 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Multigen crossover idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:55:43 PM »
I could see them utilizing a dimensional hole that they fall into and when they get to the different dimension, their appearance reflects the dimension they are in and they have to get back to their own dimension, kind of like the Fairly Oddparents did in their Channel Chasers special.  So when the ponies fall into the Dream Valley Dimension, they look like G1 ponies, when they get to the next dimension, they'd look like G2 ponies, etc., but they'd still keep their own colors/cutie marks/personalities.  Each dimension would teach them something that would help them get home and could easily introduce the next generation this way.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:58:09 AM »
I could see them utilizing a dimensional hole that they fall into and when they get to the different dimension, their appearance reflects the dimension they are in and they have to get back to their own dimension, kind of like the Fairly Oddparents did in their Channel Chasers special.  So when the ponies fall into the Dream Valley Dimension, they look like G1 ponies, when they get to the next dimension, they'd look like G2 ponies, etc., but they'd still keep their own colors/cutie marks/personalities.  Each dimension would teach them something that would help them get home and could easily introduce the next generation this way.

Perfect!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
If they really did that it would probably turn out like the animated Ninja Turtles crossover, where the older gens were spoofed and dumbed down in favor of the newer ones. Only in this case it would probably ignore G2 completely, dumb down G3 to what the Bronies see in it (they'd always cry and drink tea), while G1 would be dignified but really weak since they can't do Overlord-Magic like the FiMmers. I could also see the comics and cartoons be merged and having an animated Majesty there as the G1 Celestia stand-in.

I honestly hope they'd never do any type of "dimension" crossover at this point because I don't want to see MLP as a multiverse in that way. They have Equestria Girls for that kind of stuff. Comparing the older gens to FiM is just not a good idea because the fandom is already split and broken as is (and we are still in the FiM era, let's be honest. Pony Life is using FiM characters, IDW comics is using the FiM characters, and so on). Crossovers would lead to an even bigger bashing of anything that came before FiM.

I'd much rather see older gen characters being recycled for newer gens like they did with Applejack (from G1 to G4).
This way the design and name comes back in toy form but it's a new take on the character story-wise. That's a good way to please older fans as well. At least in my opinion. AJ was my first favorite from FiM mostly because she looked like a modern G1. Great nostalgia bait :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:22:19 AM »
If they really did that it would probably turn out like the animated Ninja Turtles crossover, where the older gens were spoofed and dumbed down in favor of the newer ones. Only in this case it would probably ignore G2 completely, dumb down G3 to what the Bronies see in it (they'd always cry and drink tea), while G1 would be dignified but really weak since they can't do Overlord-Magic like the FiMmers. I could also see the comics and cartoons be merged and having an animated Majesty there as the G1 Celestia stand-in.

I honestly hope they'd never do any type of "dimension" crossover at this point because I don't want to see MLP as a multiverse in that way. They have Equestria Girls for that kind of stuff. Comparing the older gens to FiM is just not a good idea because the fandom is already split and broken as is (and we are still in the FiM era, let's be honest. Pony Life is using FiM characters, IDW comics is using the FiM characters, and so on). Crossovers would lead to an even bigger bashing of anything that came before FiM.

I'd much rather see older gen characters being recycled for newer gens like they did with Applejack (from G1 to G4).
This way the design and name comes back in toy form but it's a new take on the character story-wise. That's a good way to please older fans as well. At least in my opinion. AJ was my first favorite from FiM mostly because she looked like a modern G1. Great nostalgia bait :P

Ouch good point! Especially considering how mean spirited immature and crude Hasbroken has been to past ponies this gen.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
We only have to look at their official YT channel that released all those weird Behind The Music-esque videos on G1, that were all mostly meanspirited parodies (like censoring a pony's privates, implying Megan took drugs and other Adult Swim humor). If they did this to their boy brands the nerds would rip them to shreds (Turtles fans were tearing these crossovers a new one for daring to imply he 80s Turtles were stupid and only ate pizza all day long).

They liscense out G1s to Basic Fun, re-released four G3s and did the mishmash Retro design, that doesn't mean that they hold their past animated shows and comics in high regard, tho. The older canons mostly existed to sell toys. German story tapes canon even genderbent some ponies to make the brand more accesible to boys.

Bringing up the old gens in a positive light would only help to sell the Basic Funs, it wouldn't have no other purpose to Hasbro. That's why G2 is so ignored, they don't have anything they could sell by bringing it up. And most American kids don't even know it existed in the first place, so why nostalgia-mine it? :lol:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
I'd much rather have Hasbro forget entirely about older generations forever than ever cross them with G4 in any form.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »
In trying to integrate my Ponyworld, I find the G1s, G2s, G3s & even G3.5s to fit in nicely, but G4s just don't, being so small in the regular form, & so weird in the Fashion Style form. So most of my Ponyworld no longer bothers to integrate G4 with the other Ponies, leaving them to have their own land, separate from the other gens.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
I've read fics where all the gens of ponies coexist in the same universe, but live in different geographical locations.  I think that would be a fun take on it.

It's silly to say Hasbro only could / would combine gens of ponies to mock the older generations.  The Transformers IDW comic has characters from almost every generation in their universe, even though it's primarily based on G1 Transformers.  Beast Wars characters, Japanese-only characters, RID 2001 characters, I can even think of a Beast Machines character in there, and god knows that show was not a fan-favorite, lol.

I do think if Hasbro did a crossover it would more likely be a comic book than animation.  Just seems easier. Especially if they needed a lot of exposition. A comic isn't confined to 22 minutes, you can add as much backstory as you want as long as you have enough room for word-bubbles.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:17:34 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
I'd much rather have Hasbro forget entirely about older generations forever than ever cross them with G4 in any form.

yup - this. Don't get me wrong, I love the previous gens, and I'm not against the idea of crossovers in theory.... but past evidence has shown what it'd be like. >_< I don't trust Hasbro to do anything like this in a tasteful way.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:50 AM »
It's silly to say Hasbro only could / would combine gens of ponies to mock the older generations. 

I don't think they would do it for the purpose of mocking G1-3 but they would mock them. Others have already posted evidence that supports the mocking argument. Just last month on the official Instagram they post a pic of Pinkie Pie in G1 retro art and said G4 is such a "glow up"

Like Zapper said other fandoms wouldn't tolerate previous gen bashing, but the loudest segment of MLP fans really eats that bashing up (and kids too really, in general kids don't like/care about old stuff)

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
It's silly to say Hasbro only could / would combine gens of ponies to mock the older generations. 

I don't think they would do it for the purpose of mocking G1-3 but they would mock them. Others have already posted evidence that supports the mocking argument. Just last month on the official Instagram they post a pic of Pinkie Pie in G1 retro art and said G4 is such a "glow up"

Like Zapper said other fandoms wouldn't tolerate previous gen bashing, but the loudest segment of MLP fans really eats that bashing up (and kids too really, in general kids don't like/care about old stuff)
i see where you are coming from- I didn’t like the retro clip show with the borderline bashing with Megan and other g1 characters Hasbro did some months ago. But if other fandoms don’t tolerate this abuse on older gens, if they have theirs- why does this fandom and it’s older gen fans seem to take it? (This is just what it seems like to me). As an old gen fan myself- I know one single voice won’t make a difference- but the lure is more to the old gen fans than just one person. Why not raise your voices about it and make a stink where Hasbro execs would see it? Why can’t 30 Plus years of older gen fans be just as loud at demanding change and respect for older gens as the g4 fandom is about trampling older gens and mocking them?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
I've read fics where all the gens of ponies coexist in the same universe, but live in different geographical locations.  I think that would be a fun take on it.

It's silly to say Hasbro only could / would combine gens of ponies to mock the older generations.  The Transformers IDW comic has characters from almost every generation in their universe, even though it's primarily based on G1 Transformers.  Beast Wars characters, Japanese-only characters, RID 2001 characters, I can even think of a Beast Machines character in there, and god knows that show was not a fan-favorite, lol.

I do think if Hasbro did a crossover it would more likely be a comic book than animation.  Just seems easier. Especially if they needed a lot of exposition. A comic isn't confined to 22 minutes, you can add as much backstory as you want as long as you have enough room for word-bubbles.

Too Many Pinkie Pies
VAs poking fun at older generations in a documentary
The Retro Flashbacks where they basically crapped on the cartoon with very crude and sometimes innapropriate brony-like humor

There's clearly a precedence for the modern animation community in general to take steaming mean-spirited dumps on its predeccesors. Nm they wouldn't need to if they didn't create such awful content.  And Hasbro has already done it three times. What makes you think they wouldn't do it again?

Post Merge: May 18, 2020, 12:43:16 PM

i see where you are coming from- I didn’t like the retro clip show with the borderline bashing with Megan and other g1 characters Hasbro did some months ago. But if other fandoms don’t tolerate this abuse on older gens, if they have theirs- why does this fandom and it’s older gen fans seem to take it? (This is just what it seems like to me). As an old gen fan myself- I know one single voice won’t make a difference- but the lure is more to the old gen fans than just one person. Why not raise your voices about it and make a stink where Hasbro execs would see it? Why can’t 30 Plus years of older gen fans be just as loud at demanding change and respect for older gens as the g4 fandom is about trampling older gens and mocking them?

We can't comment on their nasty little vids due to the Children's Act on YouTube. Because it came into effect shortly before they started releasing these. 

Furthermore, entertainment companies aren't going to cave into the demands of whiny fans. Upset parents and censors yes. But not on YouTube where everything is a free for all.

If other cartoon companies allow their employees to do this without formal reprimand on tv, what makes you think Hasbro is going to care?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:15:23 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »

Too Many Pinkie Pies
The Retro Flashbacks where they basically crapped on the cartoon with very crude and sometimes innapropriate brony-like humor

There's clearly a precedence for the animation community in general to take steaming mean-spirited dumps on its predeccesors. And Hasbro has already done it three times. What makes you think they wouldn't do it again?

We can't comment on their nasty little vids due to the Children's Act on YouTube. Because it came into effect shortly before they started releasing these.
fair enough in the no comments on their videos. But there are other ways to rally the community and let them know dumping on last gens isn’t fair or cool- writing letters, hitting up the writers and CEO on twitter, rallying with megaphones outside of Hasbro HQ....

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »

Too Many Pinkie Pies

There's clearly a precedence for the animation community in general to take steaming mean-spirited dumps on its predeccesors. And Hasbro has already done it three times. What makes you think they wouldn't do it again?

fair enough in the no comments on their videos. But there are other ways to rally the community and let them know dumping on last gens isn’t fair or cool- writing letters, hitting up the writers and CEO on twitter, rallying with megaphones outside of Hasbro HQ....

I added to my previous post.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal