collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life character profiles on Hasbro's website  (Read 2696 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Pony Life character profiles on Hasbro's website
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:59:53 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but Hasbro has character profiles for the Mane Six on their website now:

https://mylittlepony.hasbro.com/en-us/characters/ponylife

I am really trying not to be a hater, but the way their mouths cut INTO THEIR EYEBALLS freaks me out.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Life character profiles on Hasbro's website
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »
Its slightly better then the mouth under mouth, but not by much. Umm okay, where are any of the new ones?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
I don't hate the style as much as I did but seeing them back in FiM style under the character profiles was still refreshing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
Angel bounce? Gummy snap?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
:(

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
Angel bounce? Gummy snap?

Yeah, I noticed that too.  This is just a guess, but it might be to make the names easier to copyright.  Although if that's the case I'm surprised they didn't go with their favorite word, "Dazzle". ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
I am really trying not to be a hater, but the way their mouths cut INTO THEIR EYEBALLS freaks me out.

Well, it's not like they have that much room outside of the eyeballs of those faces.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »
Gummy Snap's an old, ooold name.. they first used it for the sleepover EQG Pinkie, I believe. (The one that came w/ a little Gummy pet) I'm pretty sure that they do stuff like this because "generic" names are harder to trademark. First time I've heard "Angel Bounce", though.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
I still feel they look cute in their own way (and I still need to see them animated longer than a second to judge them), but yeah, the mouth-eye thing is weird, and may be a bit of a "When you see it..." thing.

EDIT: Thinking of it... I don't think cute is the right word; I'm not exactly going "Aww" when I see them... they're just... "likeable" in their own way, in my opinion.  They're not the best designed, in terms of what we've seen before, but... I can't exactly hate them, especially as I haven't seen them in action yet for the most part.

I am nostalgic towards them in a way, due to being nostalgic towards the advert, but I don't know if that's the only reason - I think it's just because they don't seem that bad to me... but I've seen them do better.  I am a nostalgic person, but but I don't rely on nostalgia goggles (I can be very critical about things I'm nostalgic towards.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:40:31 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 08:16:13 AM »
Ugh. There's not a single thing I like about this new design. Why did they have to go and spoil everything? :(

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »
I really love their eyeliner/eyelashes! It's cool that they each have a unique eye, instead of like three eye styles they use on all the ponies. Looking forward to seeing them in action!
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
Well, now I know that Rarity's tastebuds must have died a long time ago because who can enjoy a cupcake with caviar on the side? :X

The writing is awfully small and doesn't look crisp enough. It took me a while to read these with my old dusty eyeballs.
I am not hating the 2D designs like other people, the mouths are a tad weird, tho. Looks like a deliberate style choice that backfired. The Rarity in my avatar does it better, imo. That's the one they used for the toy promos.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:44:12 PM by Zapper »

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
Fluttershy and Pinkie look pretty cute. Not liking the others though 😬 Not very good descriptions, either

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
Not very good descriptions, either
It kind of sounds like someone asked a child to describe the mane 6, and they just went with that. Especially with how Fluttershy's primary characteristic is that she's cute. Real strong main character you've got there, Hasbro :rolleyes:

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the whole chibi style in the first place, but there are some things I like on these designs.
The unique eye shapes are cute as with the feathered hooves.
I hate the single tooth though. It makes them look like toddlers IMO. I assume this is targeted to a lot younger demographic (similar to Teen Titans vs. TTG) so I guess it makes sense that they're making them more child-like? It's not my style though. The commercial models were cuter.
The mouth in the eyeball also kind of weird me out.
It's kind of uncanny in a way to see the ponies as super cartoonish. Even in g4 where they were arguably the most cartoony they've never been as over the top as this (minus any one off gags Pinkie might've done). They've always had this sort of aura of pretty and more um...elegant designs rather than cute and cartoony if that makes sense? Similar to how Barbie is a lot more elegant than a Bartz doll.
There's nothing wrong with a more cartoonish art style, but I feel it's offputting with the mane 6. I wish Hasbro would've just left g4 alone if they wanted to go with this more stylized route. That's also why I wasn't a fan of g3.5...
The toys are cute, however I think (?) they are bobbleheads? That's what the commercials make them out to be and if so, noooooo thank you. Doesn't appeal to me.

I know its weird to expect realism out of a show about multicolored ponies going to fight dragons or other monsters like that, but I just feel these are a bit too cartoonish? G4 was just the right amount of cartoony proportions IMO and this extra push is pushing it too hard for me.

Too long; Didn't Read: Not my cup of tea, too cartoonish designs for my tastes.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal